Menu

Help with RX eyeglasses

Night Elf

I got new glasses on Thursday. I just picked them up and assumed they were right. But my left lens seems off. I feel like I'm looking through someone else's prescription. The doctor changed my prescription to a lighter RX saying my last pair was too strong. But I can see through these older glasses just fine. And the new lenses I just got were put into my favorite pair of frames, so I am disappointed that I don't think the RX is right. I called to ask about it and they said to bring them back in and they'll check to see if the right RX was put into my frames. What if it was though? What if I just don't like this new RX? I'm sure it has something to do with the astigmatism I have, but maybe they are overcorrecting it? What would you expect the office to do if you didn't like the new prescription? My insurance isn't going to cover a second set of lenses. Should I expect them to correct this at their expense? I hate confrontations but these new glasses are just not right.

A pair of eyeglasses that I had made in Texas were not made correctly. After I got them, I had problems with them. I called my Ophthalmologist and was told to try them, for a week or two and if I still had problems, to come in. They found that the "Optical Center" was off...

I took them back to the Optical place where they were made. They told me their factory has "Quality Control" measures, to which I responded, "There was no Quality Control for these glasses and my Ophthalmologist said the Optical Centers of the lenses are off."

I had Myopia and Astigmatism.

The store had the eyeglasses remade in their factory and I had no more problems...

Moving around a lot, it is my experience that eye doctors have slightly different philosophies about how much correction to provide. At one point my RX was much higher than it is now. A new eye doctor lowered it, saying that my eyes weren't focusing right because they were sort of...being lazy with an over strength RX. It took time to get used to them, but I haven't gone back up much, even with other eye doctors and that was 12 years ago.

It could be a mistake, but it could also be that your eyes need time to get used to them and focus better.

I know I am probably not explaining that well, I am not an eye doctor, I just rely upon them to see. :)

I had a new pair once that gave me headaches.  It's been awhile so I'm not sure how long I tried to make them work - a few days?  a week?  Anyway, I went back in and had a 2nd exam (maybe partial exam) with the other dr. in the office.  He wrote a new Rx and I got a new pair of glasses - all covered by the office (the dr. and glasses place were one ownership).  I didn't have to push or get confrontational at all - all of this was done at their suggestion after I called that I was having the headaches.  I think it's pretty normal to have to adjust prescriptions after the fact - I've heard of it happening to others - or finding something wrong with the glasses after they're made.  I think "fitting you" correctly in every way is part of what they sell and what they will make right.  I think you should call in the morning and tell them what you're experiencing and expect them to "fix" it without further question/issue.  I know it's a pain. 

I got new glasses on Thursday. I just picked them up and assumed they were right. But my left lens seems off. I feel like I'm looking through someone else's prescription. The doctor changed my prescription to a lighter RX saying my last pair was too strong. But I can see through these older glasses just fine. And the new lenses I just got were put into my favorite pair of frames, so I am disappointed that I don't think the RX is right. I called to ask about it and they said to bring them back in and they'll check to see if the right RX was put into my frames. What if it was though? What if I just don't like this new RX? I'm sure it has something to do with the astigmatism I have, but maybe they are overcorrecting it? What would you expect the office to do if you didn't like the new prescription? My insurance isn't going to cover a second set of lenses. Should I expect them to correct this at their expense? I hate confrontations but these new glasses are just not right.

If it is not perfect, it is not right.  There is no "adjusting" to a wrong prescription.  It is either right or wrong (40+ years experience talking here, and optometrist in the family). 

Overcorrection causes some people to be nauseated or get headaches.  Make them redo it until it is right.   You might have to back up on the prescription to just under the best correction level.