Menu

My printer died... thinking of waiting and saving for a great one... ???

Any recommendations?  

My printer's bit the dust...  I am really tired of having the cheapest printers and dreaming of a better one...  So I'm thinking of surviving without one and saving for a quality (laser?) printer that will last us through our schooling if possible..  But I feel completely incompetent when it comes to most things computer technology and am so out of style in that regard I don't know where to start. My kids are tiny so I actually think I could wait a while.

I just recently had this happen to me. I knew it was coming, because mine was eight years old, and I had been thinking about features I wanted. I wanted multiple color cartridges so I could replace just the blue or whatever, a multifunction so I could copy, scan, and print (and fax if I wanted), AirPrint so I could print from multiple devices, auto double sided printing because I use that a ton, and a ADF feeder for two-sided scanning/copying. I had great success with a Canon and naturally gravitated toward another one of those.

I ended up with this one, after looking around amazon, and I've been very pleased. It's a little overkill for my needs (I don't really need it to hold two types and sizes of paper at once, although if you print a lot of photos, that's kind of cool not to need to change paper; it seems to do a decent job on photos, but I've only printed a couple), but it was the cheapest that had everything I wanted and which got good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MX922-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B00AVWKUJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406633632&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+mx922

Eta: if I did a lot of black and white printing, I could see getting a laser printer. But a colored laser was more than I wanted to pay.

I went about a year without a printer. Recently I took it apart and managed to get it up and working again, but I don't trust it at all, and don't depend on it.

I learned SO much about teaching, by NOT having a printer. I use a lot of vintage and preY2K curricula that do not require printers. I also read a lot of eBooks on an iPad mini.

I have an older model (no wifi) of this
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2270DW-Compact-Wireless-Networking/dp/B00450DVDY/
I have had about 2 paper jams in the 3+ years I've had it. I print a lot, including double sided. The longer life toner cartridges cost about $70 and last me over a year each. I am very, very happy with it. I would avoid cheap printers with high ink costs.

****ETA I looked it up. I bought it in May 2010; it came with some sort of toner in it. I bought a high yield toner in April 2011 but I can't find the receipt for any others -- I must have bought once more since then?? But who knows!

Thank you!  For school I think a double sided printing would be amazing.  It's really the one thing I've always wanted.  I don't really need color that often...  I've thought about getting laser then getting a separate printer at some point for color. Thank you thank you!  Off to check out the links.  

ETA: I'm already feeling better.  For some reason I thought they'd be $200 or more.  Yay!

Our just died, too, and right in the middle of printing stuff for the upcoming year.  I ordered a new HP. The price has changed since I ordered it last week, I think we paid $152, but I wanted Air Print and didn't mind paying for it.

Can I suggest that when you *do* buy a new printer - do some research and see if there's a CISS for your new model?

I went to a homeschooling conference in 2010, and a CISS was the best piece of advice ever!  Still use it.  I went home, ordered a CISS for our printer and only had to replace the ink twice, at $20 each time.  In 4 years.  It was fabulous, and the CISS outlasted the printer.  Thank you, Sue Patrick!  The CISS trick outlasted workboxes in our house.   :lol:

So... Our new printer will arrive this week, and the CISS to fit it arrives next week.  I love being able to print and never worry about ink.

My husband got me a Brother CDW-9970 almost 2 years ago, and I am in love. It is a color laser and has wireless networking, duplex scan and print, fax, and copy. I set it up 2 years ago and it's just worked ever since, even with us being rural and prone to power outages. I can't say enough good things about it.

http://smile.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-9970CDW-Wireless-Networking-Duplex/dp/B004GXAY9E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406944103&sr=8-2&keywords=cdw+9970