Menu

Basic math review/remediation before going into prealgebra?

mo2

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for here.  My 12 yo needs some basic math review before we attempt to go into a prealgebra course in another year or so.  Is there a text or course that will quickly take us through a review to shore up on any areas that need remediation? 

Power Basics has a Basic Math textbook if you want VERY basic, and Lial's BCM also starts from the beginning. You could also try taking the Saxon math placement test -- the continual review should help find and fill holes.

Power Basics looks good, but I'm having trouble finding Lial's BCM.  I can find it on Amazon, but do you happen to have a link to somewhere that has sample pages to view?

Thank you for the suggestions!

I like Lial's.  My twins will be using it this year.

I'm concerned because Lial's is Basic COLLEGE Math. I'm afraid it will move too quickly.  How old are your twins and how solid is their math background, if you don't mind sharing.

I'm concerned because Lial's is Basic COLLEGE Math. I'm afraid it will move too quickly. 

It's called Basic College Math, but it's a Pre-Pre-Algebra text. It's used in one semester university math courses to prepare students for pre-algebra, but many have used it as a year-long course with their 6-8 graders who needed math consolidation.

I do not know where you can get sample pages, but Lial's 6th edition is available used on amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/Basic-College-Mathematics-Margaret-Lial/dp/0321064577/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406310248&sr=1-6&keywords=basic+college+mathematics+lial -- from $0.59. The current edition is the 9th, but the material is practically identical. I would suggest that if it looks like a possibility, you could just buy it, and if it doesn't work, re-sell it.

I'm concerned because Lial's is Basic COLLEGE Math. I'm afraid it will move too quickly.  How old are your twins and how solid is their math background, if you don't mind sharing.

My twins are 11yo. and going into sixth grade.  Lials's is a remedial college math textbook.  A child with a good fifth grade math background should be able to use it successfully.  There are plenty of problems. One wouldn't expect a child to do all of them, but they are there if needed. The instruction and explanations are very straightforward and detailed.   Jann in TX uses it in her Prealgebra I class.  Here is one of her posts about it.

My twins have had some scatter in their math background, which is one of the reason we are using it next year, to make sure they everything is down before moving to a Prealgebra book.  They used SM and CLE, then some MiF and MUS Epsilon.  One struggles with math, one is average at math.

This is the one I have.  The odd answers are in the back of the book, the evens are in the teacher's edition.  There are enough problems you shouldn't need the TE, I only have it because I bought my books as a set.

The way I see it is that Pre-A is the review. It is pre-a that preps you and warms you up for Algebra and makes sure that you are sound in arithmetic, with only a little minor algebra throw in. But since most elementary programs cover variables now quite early, that stuff is really hardly new.

I don't know what program you have been using, forgive me if I missed that info somewhere, but if you need feel you need more work at the elementary level you could always run through the last two Life of Fred books. (Fractions and Decimals). It seems those ought the shore up any weaknesses. And they are fun and pretty easy to go through.

I've used some of Book 1. I think it's good. I emailed the author about a suggested scope and sequence and he offered to let me call him. I didn't because I hate to use the phone, because I have some speech issues that I'm a bit insecure about with strangers. I guess he's not an e-mailer and I'm not a caller. :)

There is an iPad app, but my iPad is all messed up and I can't use the app. I have just spent the last hour trying to figure out how to e-mail the App Store about it. For awhile I gave up on my iPad because it's so messed up and used a KIndle, but that had issues too, especially the smaller text; I couldn't see it with all the eye trouble I'm having. I'm back to the iPad because I can see it, but I'm :banghead: trying to get my purchased apps to work.

The videos play just fine on my iPad. The workbook displays nicely on the iPad and also prints nicely.

Lial's BCM is a good overview of all the basic arithmetic needed for algebra.

The prealgebra book by the same author is more of an honors prealg. It also reviews basic arithmetic, but with variables and negatives almost from the very beginning.

Lial's are solid math books and highly recommended by the hive. One of my DC thoroughly enjoyed the prealg book and has been a strong alg 1 student this year. My hyper, easily distractable DC could not handle the presentation though.

You could also look into the Key to...series of math workbooks.  Written to the student.  Easy to use.  Explanations are clear.  Great for targeting specific areas for solid review.  Buy them used but in like new condition on Amazon to save money.  Get the answer key.  Saves a ton of time and the student can review their answers themselves to see if they got any wrong.