Menu

Poll:Which do you perfer R&S English or FLL?

Tabrett

Which do you perfer R&S English or FLL  

1. 1. Which do you perfer R&S English or FLL

I chose FLL. My daughter used FLL in first grade, and in second grade we went to R&S. I didn't have the 2nd grade R&S book, so I put her in my son's old 4th grade book, figuring I'd just go through the review lessons very slowly. She did great! FLL prepared her very well, though I'll admit it was sometimes difficult for me to sit through the lessons.

We use R&S. I've found I just didn't do well with the scripted method of FLL - My daughter liked it okay, but *I* felt like banging my head against a wall (and did sometimes! LOL). :001_smile: When I started doing it "last" every day, and then on to skipping some days... I realized I needed to make a switch. So, we went to R&S and both of us have been very happy since. :)

I chose FLL, but I'll admit that I don't always follow the script. Since FLL 4 isn't out yet, I was planning to go with Growing With Grammar this year. However, ds loves FLL and doesn't want to change (he tends to be a creature of habit anyway). I'm not sure if I'm patient enough to keep waiting for FLL 4, though.

R&S

FLL

Another one here who uses both. Moose is an auditory/verbal learner. FLL is a great fit with him. Pie is a read/write learner. The out-loud repetition of FLL drove her batty. Transitioned to R&S and it fits her learning style better. Another difference I've noted is FLL is a spiral, isn't it? Round and round, back to nouns again, now adjectives, now a poem, back to nouns...while R&S sticks with one topic then moves along to the next. So I'd consider that difference if you are trying to decide between the two. I think they both succeed in teaching grammar, but the learning style of your students will dictate which one will be a better fit.

I've only just begun homeschooling with my second grader and we're using fll. I've never looked at rod and staff so I don't know what i'm missing. I've heard that r&s for grades 3 & 4 is excellent (and tough). We'll see how it goes. I've got to stop buying for a bit as I've been/have purchased thru quite a few math texts/curriculums.

Paula

*just lazy with the caps*

I started my son, then eight and not yet reading, in FLL. That was our fist year hs'ing and it was terrific. I really got to know my boy through the interactions! About a third of the way through, we brought in my daughter. (Then 5). We could only do 100 lessons. It started getting much too babyish for him--especialy doing it with his younger sister.

I threw FLL against the wall and left it there for a long time.

I transitioned the boy to R&S3.

Finally, my daughter and I are finishing up FLL-- and I'll put her into R&S3.

FLL was gentle, thorough & perfect for first and second grade. I love that poetry memorization is included. That's the only thing I miss about R&S - the poetry memorization. They do have poems, but I don't really like their poems. So I have to come up with our own poetry memorization. But aside from that I love R & S. It is very thorough and yet very gentle and incremental - it doesn't feel like drugery! And it include oral and written reviews. Very easy to use. Includes writing instructions as well!

Sherri

I did FLL 1&2 with my oldest, then tried R&S because everyone said it was the best. What a washout. My dd was flailing with the diagramming -- too complex too fast, the pages were too cluttered, and the sequence seemed a little "off." We didn't get very far through the book. When FLL3 came out, I went back to it. Having the printed diagrams has been a godsend. I'm anxiously awaiting FLL4 to ship.

We really lost that year we were using R&S. We're still catching up in language mechanics because of it. I'll never go back to R&S.