Menu

Questions on First Language Lessons for the WTM

Guest karengoffford

Guest karengoffford

I am BRAND new at home schooling my 7 year old. We plan to start next week.  I'm ready, then I'm not, then I am again!!  (I hope that makes sense)!

Anyway...He is going into 2nd grade and I am not sure if I should start with the 2nd grade lessons in "First Language Lessons" or start at the beginning...any suggestions or questions from you guys that might help me figure it out?

Thanks for the help!

Karen

I think there is a placement test on the Peace Hill Press site?

FWIW, I had both my boys use it a level 'behind' and they have done really well. My oldest did FLL4 in 5th grade and then went on to WWS 1 in 6th grade. It went very smoothly and I am very happy with how it has all turned out. I mention this because I think with some things like FLL it is important to look at the kid and not the number on the book. That is why SWB called them level 1-4 and not grade 1-4.

Good luck finding what works for your family.

I started homeschooling my daughter in second grade too...and we started at the beginning of FLL.  If there is something he already knows well, you can skip it or review it.  Don't worry about being "in the right grade".  It's much more important that they learn the material.  Good luck and best wishes on your journey!

I started level 1 with all of my kids - they were in 2nd, 3rd, and 5th grade at the time.

I used notebook paper for the 5th grader and had her do it in cursive. When they all became familiar with the program, we'd often complete 2 "days" in one day - sometimes even the whole "week."

Guest karengoffford

Thank you all for your replies...I know what FLL and WWS (writing with skill, I think) are ;but, I don't know what "FWIW" means??  A little [more] help, please and thank you!!

I think I will start at the beginning of FLL; good point about focusing on "him" and not the number on the book!

FWIW - for what it's worth

There is nothing wrong with starting with FLL1, but keep in mind that FLL2 will review/repeat it all at a slightly faster pace. If your ds (dear son) catches on quickly or gets bored with repetition or isn't a language guy, you could start with 2 and not miss anything. We've done all the levels, but for some that is too much.

Choose what feels right for you.

Oh jeepers....

In my defense, I have been cooking for 9 hours solid and am totally exhausted.

For First Language Lessons (and N.O.T. Writing with Ease) I think it is perfectly fine to start with FLL2 with a second grader. It mostly repeats everything all over from the beginning anyway.

I am going to go sit in time out now.

We had no issue using the "grade level" FLL first - FLL3 for my 3rd grader, FLL2 for my 2nd grader. I really really didn't like FLL1 (I tried to teach it two years in a row but couldn't stand it) but FLL2 and FLL3 worked alright for us. It is a gentle approach to grammar. I think our only challenge was memorizing the prepositions for the 3rd grader, but I just had him practice it with his 2nd grade sister when she did it. Also, I don't think it is vitally important to memorize the common prepositions! 

Emily

Guest karengoffford

Lucky for me I have the old book with FLL 1 & 2 together...thanks so much for the input!!

I am MUCH less stressed than I was one hour ago!!