Menu

Yet another Christmas thread.......

College guy definitely needs money!!! Can never have enough of that! Or a gift card to a store that he'd have near campus (like Target) or a store that might have something he'd need for college classes (like Staples) or perhaps even one for electronics (like Best Buy), should he want a CD or a video to pass the time.

My 14 year old also likes to receive gift cards so that he can shop for himself.

He's still into Legos...but the really complex, intricate, $100+++ Legos!! Gone are the days when a generic bucket will do! Now it's the 3-million-piece / life-size replica of the Millenium Falcon that has him drooling!

He loves art sets! They have some really nice ones at Michael's (an arts and crafts store)

I'm thinking of getting him a telescope this year. Since we moved to the country, they're always amazed at how many stars they can see at night! Figure a telescope might come in handy.

And we can't forget the video games. Always have to have one or two of those under the tree!

Do you have a Wii? Make it one big family gift with a couple games.

That was my plan for the year... until DH walked in with a Wii a few weeks ago. Seriously messed up my master plan for the holidays this year. (It's very fun, btw. Get Zelda.)

You know, I bet they'd like that climate controlled all weather indoor arena too! ;)

$$ for the college student! Now that my step-dd is also in college, we're just sending $$ or gift cards, I think.

I only have girls so I will start with those ideas:

"real" crafts like a weaving loom, yarn, crochet patterns (or knitting)

books

jewelry

music lessons

Now, the boys. My gf buys her ds tools. They bought him a tool chest and each holiday, they give him tools for it. I thought it was a neat idea.

20 yr. old boy--Leatherman tool, other tools of his own; pocket knife; good binoculars; gas card

14-15 yr. old boy--knives (Swiss Army, pocket, etc.); if he's a music guy, would he enjoy his own copy of Finale? (don't know how much $$$ you're looking to spend); camouflage pants with lots of pockets; a couple of nice hardback books worth keeping into adulthood; nice fishing rod

14 yr. old girls--birthstone necklace or ring (if into jewelry); nice jewelry box; nice watch; if girly-girls, specialty bubble bath, lotions, etc.; nice hardback books worth keeping into adulthood

My nephews also like gift cards to food places (not McD anymore lol). DVDs are always on the list along with music for my teens. Recordable CDs, portable hard drives, ??

Found out college nephew didn't have a toaster in his apartment, so I got that last year. He also tried to take that beanbag throw game (with the game boards that have a hole in it?) off to college with him. Fun sporty stuff like that.

I would start by letting them know you really really want suggestions from them. It's a bit early for them to be thinking, but they will get in the mood eventually. Mine always surprised me ides that I hadn't thought of.

Gift cards to a movie, gas cards for college guy, etc..taped to a box of their favorite snack, cookie, cereal, ..so it looks like a gift, but it is a gift card.

New clothes..at that age I would resort to taking them shopping and buying what they picked out at some future shopping trip.

Bath stuff for girls..

Is there some new game for their computer they would love...

Boxed sets of favorite books or movies.

I Tunes gift cards.

College guy...tools..all guys and probably girls, should leave home with a hammer and screwdriver at least!

My sons always wanted new clothes by that age...since they liked expensive stuff and they wouldn't be wearing it until after Christmas, gift cards to those stores meant they could shop after Christmas sales..