Menu

Need help with an assignment

Night Elf

My ds has a strange writing assignment in English. It's titled To Be A King. He's supposed to write an essay on a day in the life of someone he considers royal. It's a creative assignment. It asks questions like What makes you a queen or king? Diamonds and pearls? A castle on a hill? Being truly content? We're really stuck on this one. When we think royal, we think literally like Queen Elizabeth. I get the impression the assignment shouldn't be literal. How do we choose someone who lives like royalty and how on earth are we supposed to describe a day in their lives? We're not creative at all when it comes to assignments like these.

You could pick a political leader, like the president, and could probably research online what their day tends to include.  For example, in the case of the president, what might make him or her "royal" is deference from everyone, power, etc.

You could pick a political leader, like the president, and could probably research online what their day tends to include.  For example, in the case of the president, what might make him or her "royal" is deference from everyone, power, etc.

Oh I like that idea. Thanks!

I think that assignment is totally open to a literal answer from a child who would naturally answer it that way. The imagination about the life of a British royal (not just the reigning Queen, but there are other very interesting options) is just as creative as anything else.

I think that assignment is totally open to a literal answer from a child who would naturally answer it that way. The imagination about the life of a British royal (not just the reigning Queen, but there are other very interesting options) is just as creative as anything else.

:iagree:

I think if he wants/thinks to interpret it literally, why not?  There are royalty figures that are not very popular or well known, so they could be chosen.  Or even more literally "to be a king", he could focus on princes and discuss what it really takes to be a King and what life is like for him in modern times.  Is it really a life focused on etiquette and social placement or does he spend the majority of time with friends doing things peers do too?

That's what I'd do, FWIW. 

Okay, I'm just getting back to this. The teacher said the essay needed to be about a real person, someone with lots of money, power, friends, etc. Ds has already started the assignment about a make believe king but using information he's found about Queen Elizabeth. It's easy writing about her because her website breaks down what a typical day is like. He'll have to change the beginning of it to say it's Queen Elizabeth and he'll probably mention she's extremely wealthy. Her networth has been estimated at 500 million dollars. I talked to him about interpreting it as someone who lives like he/she is royal but without it being actual royalty, but he's adamant it be a monarch. He hates creative assignments.