Menu

Keurig machines

Night Elf

I think I want a Keurig. How does a K cup work? I'm comparing machines and they make different sizes. One does a 6 oz., 8 oz, and 10 oz cup. If it uses only one K cup, how does that translate into different sized coffees? Is the 6 oz. just a stronger cup of coffee than a 10 oz? Would that mean I would need to always make 10 oz. if I don't want to drink strong coffee? I'm on the Keurig site comparing machines. There are so many to choose from. How did you choose yours?

The smaller ones make smaller cups of stronger coffee. I have a model that makes 3 sizes, and I use the largest one with my coffees (most of which are medium strength). I find if I get the light varieties, the large makes it a little too weak (and I don't like really strong coffee).

I'm not sure what you prefer with flavors, but some of my faves are:

Green Mountain's Island Coconut (seasonal - summer only)

Green Mountain's Mocha Nut Fudge

Target's Archer Brand Toasted Hazelnut

There's a Hazelnut Cream someone makes that is awesome, but I can't remember the brand.

Of course I'm drawing a blank now, but if you tell me your flavor preferences, I'm sure I can scan the site and come up with others that I've really enjoyed.

Oh, and definitely go with one of the original type Keurigs, not the newer one that uses the odd-shaped K-cups. My kids bought me that one for Christmas and I wound up returning it. They just didn't have the flavor offerings and the ones they did have were more expensive.

The nice thing is, when you register your Keurig, you get to buy 2 packages of K-cups and get 2 free on the Keurig site. They have some samplers, so you could try one or two of those.

I don't know if I've answered you about how the K-cups work, but basically, you put it in the machine, pick your cup size, and brew your coffee. You can also get a little reusable filter that fits the machine and put in regular grounds as well, so you don't always have to use the K-cups.

I didn't know they had reusable. My ILs have one and the waste is tremendous. But, they are very proud of their anti-environmental ways. I wouldn't be surprised if they have one just because of the waste it creates.

But, having reusable cups/filters makes it much more attractive.

I try to be environmentally conscious with most everything. I don't use paper towels, rarely use paper plates (maybe for a HUGE get together, and never foam). I always used cloth diapers, and my dds both use cloth diapers and wipes. We even used reusable feminine products (the natural sponges and mama cloth).

I totally fail with the Keurig. I know I do. I do have the reusable filter, but don't use it nearly as much as I should. It's just that I drink a single cup of coffee daily, and using a regular coffee pot created so much waste of coffee (could never get a good tasting single cup or two).

However, I did recently buy a french press, and am going to start pressing my coffee for my bulletproof and only using my Keurig for special, flavored cups.

I have a reusable filter that I purchased at Kohl's. I love it because 1)it's cheaper to buy "regular" coffee 2) I can make my coffee as strong or as weak as I like and 3) no extra waste from all those one use cups.

http://www.keurig.com/accessories/my-k-cup?cm_mmc=speng-_-PL-_-gog-_-ProductListingAds&utm_source=gog&utm_medium=speng&utm_campaign=ProductListingAds&utm_keyword=PL&gclid=CNP126q_p78CFUYA7AodIG4Axw