Menu

What's your favorite baked potato casserole brunchy thing?

Well, not sure what you are looking for..so this is a favorite at my house.

I don't go by a reciep any more, so I had to find one on the web..this is close. I don't use onions and I don't usually put butter and crumbs on top. Just the potatoes, sour cream, soup and cheese.

You can use the western style hash browns with onions and peppers already in them. Any kind of hash browns work, shreds, chunks, cheap, whatever. You can also bake your own potatoes and use them, but I find that the casserole really turns to mush with that kind of potatoes. Maybe use less sour cream...bake less time.

HASH BROWN POTATO CASSEROLE

1 (2 lb.) bag frozen hash brown potatoes

2 (8 oz.) cartons sour cream

1/2 c. chopped onions

1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup

2 c. shredded cheese, cheddar, sharp or other

2 c. corn flake crumbs

1/4 c. butter, melted

Thaw potatoes, combine soup, sour cream, onion and cheese; mix in potatoes. Spray 3 quart casserole with Pam, put in mixture. Mix melted butter and crumbs and sprinkle on top. Have oven preheated to 350 degrees and bake 1 hour.

Another one, with meat and eggs.

Spray a casserole (grease it). Put in a bag of shredded hash browns, thawed. I usually season a bit here with some onion powder, salt, and pepper. Put cooked meat of choice on top (sausage, ham, bacon, canadian bacon). Top with 2 c. shredded cheddar.

Mix about 9 eggs with a cup of milk . Pour over all and bake at about 350 for about 30 minutes.

(and btw, I make one very similar to the one Katie posted -- really yummy!)

How come everytime I see one of these threads and I think to myself, "I have the best recipe!" it's already posted? I have one similar to KatieinMich and it is DELICIOUS. Always a crowd pleaser. :)

I like to chop up potatoes with onions and fry them til soft, then stir cream cheese in with them. Put them in a casserole to heat up, put chives and bacon bits on top. Yum.

If you were serving it right away some eggs cooked in with them is good too, but it doesn't seem to heat up well for later.

We call this Breakfast Casserole, but the first time I had it was at a baby shower brunch.

2 - 12oz packages light breakfast sausage (Owens, Jimmy Dean)

1 - 16oz packeges Ore Ida shredded hash browns

1/2 onion chopped

2 TBSP flour

2/3 cup milk

2 - 4 cups of grated cheese

Saute the onion in olive oil. Add sausage and cook until crumbly and done - no pink. Sprinkle with the flour and stir until blended. Slowly add the milk, still stirring...this will make a type of gravy...not much, just a bit.

In a 9x13 2"deep casserole dish, spray with Pam or Crisco and layer 1/2 of the hash browns and about 2 handfulls of cheese. Add the rest of the hash browns and spread the sausage mixture over this. Cover the top with cheese to your taste but make sure it is evenly covered.

Bake 30 - 45 minutes at 350.

I know I'm late, but this is yummy!

Hashbrown Casserole

Preheat oven to 350

Combine in a bowl:

1 - 2lb bag of frozen hashbrown potatoes - thawed

1/2 cup melted butter

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 - 8 oz container sour cream

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 cup mild chedder cheese - shreaded

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Place in a 3 quart casserole dish

Sautee in a medium saucepan over medium heat:

2 cups crushed corn flakes cereal

1/4 cup melted butter

sprinkle on top of casserole

bake covered 40 minutes

One that my mom makes a great deal goes like this...1 bag of the shredded potatoes, 1 small container of sour cream, 1 bag of cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to taste, 1-2 cloves of garlic minced. Mix it all together and back at 350 until golden brown on top. Oh, hold back a little of the cheese for the top. It is tasty!.:)

My favorite breakfast casserole is not potato related.

Baked Cheese Grits

6 cups water

2 1/4 teaspoons salt

2 cups yellow grits (not quick or instant)

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons chopped garlic

1/2 lb Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)

3 large eggs

1 cup whole milk

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.

Bring water and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 4-quart heavy pot.

Add grits in a slow stream, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring frequently to avoid sticking, until very thick, about 30 minutes.

Add butter, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, garlic, and cheese, stirring until butter and cheese are melted. Allow to cool slightly. Lightly beat eggs and milk in a small bowl, then stir into grits until combined. Pour into an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish (2 inches deep) and bake until set and lightly browned, about 1 hour. Serve immediately.

I sometimes sprinkle paprika on the top. Sometimes I add tabasco or louisiana hotsauce. Sometimes I add bits of bacon into it.