Menu

Where to start w/ Terry Pratchett books?

Someone recommended these to me for dd for something she might read based on the very few other books she has enjoyed reading for fun (I can get her to read what I assign, grudgingly, but I'm trying to get her to read outside of that too...)

So I'm looking at his oeuvre, and I'm overwhelmed.  Where do I start her?  Reviews on Amazon say that the Discworld books were written for adults, and that the earlier ones aren't as good, so not at the beginning.  Someone mentioned Tiffany Aching - I see she's in the second book he wrote for kids/YA, but is that where the character is introduced?  Are his books for "adults" really for adults-only, or are they safe for YA (she's 13yo and not big on romance but likes snark - which I hear abounds in TP).

Which book should I start her on that will get her hooked?  'Cause if I pick an intro book that doesn't grab her, that will be the end of her interest in this series...

The Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers; Diggers; Wings) is a very gentle and very humorous starting point -- I'd say those are fine for age 10/11 and up. Then the Wee Free Men (featuring Tiffany Aching) series, which would be fine for a13yo.

As far as Discworld: I've only read 2 books in the series, both are later in the series. Any "potty humor" or s*xual / innuendo or other adult content was quite tame in those 2 books -- pretty much at the similar level as what is in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and sequel Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Douglas Adams). I'm quite conservative, and I would have said "okay" to Pratchett or Adams by age 15-16.

Side note: also, I didn't feel I was missing too much by reading "out of order"; I had the impression that the books don't build on one another story-wise -- each book is a complete "unit", and it's just that you would know more "backstory" about the world/characters if you had read early books. It's a lot like watching TV episodes of Star Trek -- each is an individual story, with only occasional reference to a past event, but that is not at all crucial to understanding or enjoying the current story.

Just my 2 cents worth! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

ETA -- PS:

Which book should I start her on that will get her hooked?  'Cause if I pick an intro book that doesn't grab her, that will be the end of her interest in this series...

Well, not the end of the world if she ends up not getting into Prachett, either. It's not like these are vital reading classics… ;)

There really isn't much romance. There *is* a guild of "seamstresses" in Ankh-Morpork that an adult will easily recognize as prostitutes (headed by Rosemary "Rosie" Palm ... snrrrrrk), but their activities are never (as I recall) described.

I read a few that were ... hmm ... you needed background knowledge to appreciate ... so I thought it was a terrible series. Then I picked up someone's copy of "Guards! Guards!" on a long trip, and fell in love. I've read the whole series multiple times now, and I'm about due for another read now that I think of it.

Here's a reading order suggestion chart: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

I'll describe each sub-series to help you with your preference:

Rincewind novels: I find Rincewind amusing but it's not where I'd start. Rincewind is an utterly incompetent wizard mostly known for his ability to escape death whilst getting into amusing scrapes.

Witches novels: The later ones are truly excellent, but I didn't find Equal Rites gripping, although it introduces the redoubtable Granny Weatherwax. It might be more interesting for her, though, as the protagonist is a young woman who is accidentally a wizard, battling a sexist establishment of wizardry. This subseries could also be started with Wyrd Sisters, and it's a pretty good one.

YA novels: Sort of tied into the witches series (after all, Tiffany Aching is a witch), but I don't think it's prerequisite knowledge. She meets the characters from the witches series, but they aren't major, major characters, and you can figure out who they are from context. I'd consider them a good entry point, especially for a teenage girl.

Pyramids/Small Gods: These books are AMAZING, but I think they'd be of more interest to an adult who had an adequate background knowledge to really appreciate them. Pyramids is especially interesting to those who are mathematically inclined -- even if they don't recognize the terminology, the mathematical camels are incredibly hilarious. Pyramids would also be a great entry for someone who was fascinated with Egypt.

Death novels: Again, I didn't find the first one gripping, although one of my absolute favorite characters (Susan Bones) shows up later on. In Mort, Death (who is an anthropomorphic personification) decides to take an apprentice so he can have a bit more free time. He's also hoping to marry off his obnoxious adopted daughter.

Watch novels: I love Guards! Guards! I am not sure that a teen would find it quite as gripping. It's about the city watch and a naive bumpkin -- Carrot, who incidentally is a human who's been raised as a dwarf and still thinks he is one -- who comes to a corrupt town determined to make good. Carrot has read and memorized the book of laws and cannot conceive that there would be a law which is on the books, but not enforced. This is my favorite major subseries of discworld.

Industrial revolution: If you have someone who knows a lot about the history of movies, this might be an interesting entry. There are a huge amount of references to early movies through clever wordplay.

I got all excited because I saw a Terry Pratchet thread, but Kiana pretty much said everything that I'd add. Even so, I had to jump in and comment because it's a Terry Pratchett thread! :D

My kids started with Color of Magic at about 13, and that's where they got hooked, but I agree with Kiana that the YA novels are probably a good starting point for a teen girl.

Thanks guys!  That was very helpful!!  I think I'll start her with the YA novels (is the Maurice book a standalone that could be done either before/after Tiffany A?), and good to know about the Pyramids/Small Gods because she likes both math and Egypt, so that could be a great place to go next if she likes the first set...

Thanks guys!  That was very helpful!!  I think I'll start her with the YA novels (is the Maurice book a standalone that could be done either before/after Tiffany A?), and good to know about the Pyramids/Small Gods because she likes both math and Egypt, so that could be a great place to go next if she likes the first set...

Sorry, I mis-wrote -- Pyramids is the one that's about math and Egypt. Small Gods is only very loosely related, although it's also a great book.

I have them all and it is my favorite series.  For your DD I would also start her on Tiffany.  Maurice is a stand alone and it would be great for boys or girls.

If she is up to starting the Adult series then I would read them Chronologically, there are references in different books to happenings in other books.  It wouldn't detract from the story but it does leave you scratching your head.  I followed the l-spaces reading order and rather regret it.  I knew to much about different characters before they were introduced in their own series. It does mean you have to get through a couple not as interesting books but is worth the effort.

I love them in order.

Guards, guards is probably one of my favorites.

I also like Granny Weatherwax. She appears in the Tiffany Aching books, so that's also a good introduction to her.

Moving Pictures is also great.

I haven't liked his later books though. Haven't even read the last couple.

Oddly, I have liked the latest ones even more. I feel that he's been getting into deeper subjects, a bit darker, but still not losing the humor. The last few have had me both laughing and crying in various places.

That's good to know.

I don't think I've read much since Going Postal. He seemed bleaker to me in recent books. Maybe some of that is what I've read from his interviews too though.

I do have two signed Pratchett books...British editions :)

We used to order from amazon uk when the US release was still a good bit behind. That was cool!

Color of Magic, Hogfather and Going Postal are on Netflix a lot (if you love British TV check out "AcornTV"). I also heard that one of the BBC's is going to do Guards, Guards! as a series.

Squeee! I would love a Guards! Guards! series. I love Vimes. All of the Watch books are on my yearly reading list, but Thud is my personal favorite. One might have to be older (in cynicism at least) to really love these though. For a 13 YO new-to-Pratchett reader I'd recommend the Wee Free Men/Tiffany Aching series:

The Wee Free Men

A Hat Full of Sky

Wintersmith

I Shall Wear Midnight

Well, some people may not like his recent books, but that could be attributed to early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, as some believe could be the reason for the quality of his latest book. We love him here as he's such a brilliant writer. DH normally never laughs out loud but he does with the Wee Free Men series. It makes me sad that there may not be anymore young adult books. DD has been rereading the series and relistening to it on CD. This is what inspired her to want to learn Scottish Gaelic. Anyway, Tiffany A. is quite a character, sometimes having the funniest lines ever from a teen heroine.

We love the Tiffany Aching series! I'd start there. My daughter's favorite is Monstrous Regiment and Masquerade and anything with Susan. I also like Vimes and Moist Von Lipwig, but never got into any books with Rincewind. For some of his books, it really adds to the story if you have some background (like knowing the phantom of the opera for Masquerade or Oliver Twist before reading Dodger...).