Menu

Are there any secular online language classes?

Thank you for this!  I have a 6th grader very interested in French but I just can't afford another class with VP, where my older DD is taking it for high school.

Is that Veritas Press? Could you share some info about the class? Is it very religious? Many thanks!

CLRC does not bring up religion in its language classes, except where appropriate (such as reading the NT in Greek). I just asked my daughter, who has been taking classes with them for four years. She said it only comes up when discussing holidays such as Easter break. It is not technically secular, but the teachers seem to be aware that not everyone in their classes believes as they do. I think they may be accredited in CA now as well (although I'm not sure). For now, just Ancient Greek (not New Testament Greek) and Latin are offered. I am hoping they offer French soon. Their website is www.clrchomeschool.com. The classes are live. HTH.

Is that Veritas Press? Could you share some info about the class? Is it very religious? Many thanks!

There is some religion in the Latin class, one set of assignments is Bible translations from different books.  The prayer at the beginning and end of class didn't bother me.  I didn't have a big problem with it in Latin but I'm actually considering pulling my DD from French I after reviewing the textbook, which is BJU.  We may just use Mr. G for both.

• 1 month later...

I think I mentioned earlier that Classical Learning Resource Center might be offering French classes in the near future. I believe they are going to offer them this fall, although nothing has been posted on their website yet. It is worth checking into, though, because all of the language classes we have taken with them have been excellent. I am planning to have my daughter taken French with them next fall if it is available.