Menu

CLE Math - Teacher Manual necessary?

Sue G in PA

Looking at the lower levels. Wondering if I can economize and skip the TM? We are moving from SM and I will have 2 children beginning in Level 3. One is a rising 4th grader strong in math and one a rising 6th grader not so strong in math. The rising 6th grader needs constant review. He forgets easily. SM wasn't working for him. The rising 4th grader is a good math student and does well with SM but I just like the look of CLE better than SM. I like the built in review. SM is lacking that. But coming from another program, there are holes and I want to start them both back in Level 3. Hope to catch the 6th grader up quickly by working over the summer doing several lessons each day. Just hoping the TM won't be absolutely necessary. I'm fairly comfortable teaching math if that makes a difference. 

They may be because there are dictation exercises that are in the manuals but not in the workbook. I am not sure on which grade this stops.

The story problems are in there. As are other things that are to be taught such as counting, skip counting, left and right, and more.

I only use them to easily check the work. Grade 1 is where they're absolutely necessary, because of the dictation and word problems (my reading 5 year old would prefer the word problems be in his book so he doesn't have to wait for me... oh well... when he gets to grade 2 CLE, he can read them himself).

I only use them to easily check the work. Grade 1 is where they're absolutely necessary, because of the dictation and word problems (my reading 5 year old would prefer the word problems be in his book so he doesn't have to wait for me... oh well... when he gets to grade 2 CLE, he can read them himself).

Exactly! My son is used to doing workbooks independently with it all laid out. Having to get the TM was a hindrance for me as I don't like scripted. But the are quite good, and affordable. I had initially bough a few units without the TMs for math and LA. I was bothered that I needed them. But they are nice for anyone who does feel they need a little help explaining things, I do recommend them.

We just finished the 300 level here. For that level, the TM is cheaper than the answer keys ($14 vs. $34). The TM has all of the student pages reproduced in it, filled in with the answers. I use it for grading only.  If you want to check all their work yourself without an answer key, you could probably skip the TM. I like to have the answers, but I'm not mathy and I don't want to do the calculations myself. Every so often the workbook does have blanks for them to fill in numbers that you read aloud to them from the TM, but that only happens once a month or so, so you could skip it or make up your own numbers (they are usually fractions, decimals, dollar amounts, etc.). The other thing the TM has that you might be interested in is alternate tests for each unit, in case you want to have someone retake a test with different (but similar) problems.

I only had the answer keys for the 400 level and found they were fine - as the answers for the dictation exercises are in the answer key & you can easily read them off from there.

Someone said the TMs were helpful as they had extra tests for each light unit. We didn't need those, so I'm glad I didn't get them.

Just finished Level 300 with my youngest. She also used 100 and 200 previously. My opinion is the TM is not necessary at all for teaching with 300. There is really no instruction to the teacher in the TM that you don't have in the student's LUs. I don't believe an answer key is available so it is useful for that but no substantive additional comments for presenting the lessons. I would definitely buy TMs for 100 and 200. 

I have TMs for 1st-3rd grade (I don't think they even offer just an answer key at those levels), but I just got answer keys for 4th-8th grade. My oldest is in LU706, and I have never wished I had more than just the answer key. I'm pretty good at math though, plus I figured we can always find a Khan Academy video if there's a concept we need to study further.

The answer keys do have some solutions in them for the more complicated problems, BTW.

Save your money and skip the TMs, especially if you are trying to fast-track through levels.

I just checked pricing. They do have answer keys at the grade 1-3 levels, but they are way more expensive than the TMs. $34 vs. $14. Grades 4 and up have $6.80 answer keys (just two books instead of one book for each LU), so those answer keys are cheaper than the TMs.

Question... Do the answer keys also contain the speed/mastery drill answers? My oldest usually checks his own work on those (I borrowed the grade 5 TMs from a friend).

Question... Do the answer keys also contain the speed/mastery drill answers? My oldest usually checks his own work on those (I borrowed the grade 5 TMs from a friend).

My 400 level answer keys have the speed drill answers in the back.

I don't regret buying the TM's for lower-level language arts and math - to me, $7 per manual is a GREAT deal for what they cover.  I appreciate the tips, etc. and scope and sequence, and feel like they are good to refer to when I hit a topic that I want to explain more in depth but need better ideas for examples to give, etc.  They are so well-organized - highly recommended!