Menu

Walk or ride my bike?

Brilliant

I want to ride my bike on some errands this afternoon.  Total circle route from my house is 4.5 miles.  Dh thinks it's too dangerous.  They aren't particularly busy streets, but, we've just heard a lot lately about all the cyclist deaths in California.  So he wants me to walk!  What the heck?  Google maps says walking the route will take 91 minutes, while cycling will take 33.  What would you do?

(oh, BTW, I do have a car available.  My goal is to not use the car.)

ETA: dh filled my bike tires for me.  He's "ok" with it - not happy - but we're good. :)

Bicycle.

DH commutes by bike every day unless it is torrential rain.

yes, sometimes bicyclists get killed. So do car drivers and car passengers and pedestriants. I think your DH's fear is unreasonable.

ETA: in 2012, number of pedestriants killed: 4,743 .number of bicyclists killed: 726

Well, your DH's opinion is based on concern for your safety, not some random whim. Based on that I'd probably walk. 

Is there an issue with concern over not being able to carry everything back if you walk?

But in the end you'll have to decide what you think you should do.

Bicycle.

DH commutes by bike every day unless it is torrential rain.

yes, sometimes bicyclists get killed. So do car drivers and car passengers and pedestriants. I think your DH's fear is unreasonable.

ETA: in 2012, 4,743 pedestriants and 726 bicyclists were killed.

Yes, but there was just a huge write-up in the paper about it last month - it was shocking - BUT, at the time, I looked up some statistics and found out that many (1/3 maybe?) of the dead cyclists had alcohol in their blood!  Not a problem for me this afternoon!

Well, your DH's opinion is based on concern for your safety, not some random whim. Based on that I'd probably walk. 

Is there an issue with concern over not being able to carry everything back if you walk?

But in the end you'll have to decide what you think you should do.

No, I could easily walk or bike with a small backpack - I have to drop off a large envelope at one place, and a shoe-box size package at another.