Menu

Something Fun to Learn Basic Piano/Keyboard?

I'm looking for something fun to teach us how to play piano/keyboard. None of us has any experience with reading music or playing instruments, so it needs to be very basic. Lots of handholding. Kinderbach used to be very popular on here, but I don't see it mentioned much anymore. Is there something newer and shinier out there?

How old a child is this for? We've been working through Music for Little Mozarts, and love it, I'd say it's great for ages 4 to 6 or 7. The books incorporate a story and a number of animal characters...We actually bought a couple of the characters and I use them to teach. SO much fun. It does require the teacher to be able to play the accompaniments (although I've seen a thumb drive on Amazon that includes them.)

We have Faber Piano Adventures and the Music Ace software. I have to say that Music Ace has been more successful in teaching basic music theory. Neither of my kids have shown all that much interest in the piano. Oldest DD recently started studying the viola and DS says that he wants to start the violin in the fall. I have no experience with string instruments so that teaching needs to be outsourced.

It does require the teacher to be able to play the accompaniments (although I've seen a thumb drive on Amazon that includes them.)

How difficult are the accompaniments? Could a musical adult with no keyboard experience pick them up quickly, or would one need tuition and much practice first?

How difficult are the accompaniments? Could a musical adult with no keyboard experience pick them up quickly, or would one need tuition and much practice first?

They're not hard, I don't have to practice the pieces before playing them with her (I have a decent amount of piano experience, but haven't played much since I was in high school and didn't have any problem picking them up.) But you'd need to be able to sight read on a keyboard.

My young kids like Childrens Music Journey. It is a computer program that connects with a midi keyboard. There are lessons and then games that encourage practicing. The classes are taught by composers so they learn a bit of information about the different composers as well. 

Many thanks to Taryn for the Hoffman recommendation! I just watched two lessons, my daughter will love this. I wanted her to do piano, but she's not really interested now and the cost is just too much now anyway for private lessons. I think those cute little puppets will suck her right in LOL. Can't beat free to get her feet wet! I can sit the tablet right in front and we can learn together. 

Pianimals Phonics 4 Piano has worked great here. My five year old prefers to do it mostly independently. After about four or five months of working on it very, very gently, she could open the book to a new song and play it (not perfectly, but recognizably) within a few minutes. It uses finger numbers still at this point, and has not transitioned to reading music yet.

Many thanks to Taryn for the Hoffman recommendation! I just watched two lessons, my daughter will love this. I wanted her to do piano, but she's not really interested now and the cost is just too much now anyway for private lessons. I think those cute little puppets will suck her right in LOL. Can't beat free to get her feet wet! I can sit the tablet right in front and we can learn together. 

Only a pleasure! I'm pretty pleased with myself, that the first time I've added a little value to this amazing hive!