Menu

Erratic in WWE1

kiwik

We are on week 28. Ds7 can do really well IF he liked the reading.

I am afterschooling so really like the convenience of the workbook but I since it is his writing I am working on I am wondering whether it would be more sensible to buy the text rather than the next workbook. I had previously decided against this as I wanted to keep writing seperate rather than risk spoiling his enjoyment of other things but now I am wondering.

Has any one else had this problem and what did you do. Ds7 is about a third way through the local equivalent of 2nd grade.

So you don't feel alone! One of my girls does do better when she likes the story. She has a harder time concentrating than her sister.

I haven't seen the text and have already purchased wwe1 and wwe2. I have intermediate language lessons and plan in using that next. I have thought about getting the text but the workbooks are just so easy to use! It usually takes us no time to get though too. AND it's only twice a week so I figured I'd just keep on.

I have the text and not the workbook. I wanted to be able to integrate the lessons into other subjects literature so I feel like it will work better for our family. I haven't seen the inside of the workbooks, tho. IMHO,The text is very well laid out and simple to follow so you could just use the lessons with reading that he enjoys. :-) I would just plan in advance because otherwise you might get overwhelmed planning the lessons around your (or his) chosen literature.

I prefer the convenience of the workbook with each scripted lesson- this way I know writing is "done." If time allows, DC narrate history or science, or they do a page of an Evan Moore writing workbook.

And I think it's natural that a young child would absorb more information and be able to recall it better, if he was engaged in the story. 

We are on week 28. Ds7 can do really well IF he liked the reading.

I am afterschooling so really like the convenience of the workbook but I since it is his writing I am working on I am wondering whether it would be more sensible to buy the text rather than the next workbook. I had previously decided against this as I wanted to keep writing seperate rather than risk spoiling his enjoyment of other things but now I am wondering.

Has any one else had this problem and what did you do. Ds7 is about a third way through the local equivalent of 2nd grade.

This was why we started to use the text.  If my dc wasn't engaged in the story snippet, then it was just a slog for us.  So I started choosing passages and sentences from books we were already reading.  I also liked the option of reading the entire piece of literature.  Of course, this led to more work for me, but it was worth it for us.

This was why we started to use the text. If my dc wasn't engaged in the story snippet, then it was just a slog for us. So I started choosing passages and sentences from books we were already reading. I also liked the option of reading the entire piece of literature. Of course, this led to more work for me, but it was worth it for us.

This, exactly. The workbook makes it easier to use but I found that neither DD nor I liked using random excerpts (that approach was non-engaging for us). So we abandoned the workbook mid-year and started using LLTL/ELTL, and I use the narration guidelines in the WWE text - somewhat loosely at this point - for both literature and history (SOTW).

I have the text and not the workbook. I wanted to be able to integrate the lessons into other subjects literature so I feel like it will work better for our family. I haven't seen the inside of the workbooks, tho. IMHO,The text is very well laid out and simple to follow so you could just use the lessons with reading that he enjoys. :-) I would just plan in advance because otherwise you might get overwhelmed planning the lessons around your (or his) chosen literature.

I'm glad you said this and thanks to the op for asking. I bought the workbook sight unseen and thought that for my daughter, she'd get so much more out of doing the exercises with literature we were already reading and enjoying. I just wasn't a fan of random excerpts out of context. This would be the only thing that I'd really have to plan as the rest is open and go so I think I could do it.

I'm glad you said this and thanks to the op for asking. I bought the workbook sight unseen and thought that for my daughter, she'd get so much more out of doing the exercises with literature we were already reading and enjoying. I just wasn't a fan of random excerpts out of context. This would be the only thing that I'd really have to plan as the rest is open and go so I think I could do it.

FWIW, I have found that after a few weeks of doing WWE with the workbook, I could easily make up narration questions on the fly from whatever we were reading. That may not work for everyone, but I was surprised at how easy it became for me. Between stopping the WWE workbook and getting ELTL in the mail, I started reading to DD from Beatrix Potter and would just stop in the middle of the story somewhere appropriate and ask her a few questions about the previous paragraphs, and then continue. At the end of the story I'd just ask her to tell me something about the story in her own words and we'd do copywork from that.

I actually bought just the text first, but being a hs newbie I was intimidated by doing things myself and I wanted the hand-holding, so I ordered the workbook as well. I almost returned the text, but now I'm REALLY glad I didn't! 

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that once you're comfortable with the process, pre-planning lessons from the WWE text may not be necessary as long as you have your literature chosen and you occasionally check the guidelines to track with the skill progression.

You are right. Now I am at the end of the WWE1 workbook I would be much better at sorting my own questions. I was just too scared at first. My kids hate being asked question about books though so I would have to set aside something just for that purpose.

We used WWE 1-4. Yes, my dd did better with the questions when she was engaged by the reading. However, we did slog through the passages she wasn't as interested in and had lower comprehension with. I think overall it taught her how to work with a variety of genres and topics, including those that weren't her favorite. It's a good skill, IMO, and it has made her a more flexible reader and writer.

The workbook REALLY annoyed me.  I hate reading small excerpts from books just for the sake of teaching something.  It really ruins the book for me...and feels like busy work.  (It reminds me of how english was taught in my school.)   Lets just read the book from start to finish instead of picking parts to read out of context!  :)  That's what I say!   I would much rather WWE scheduled whole chapters and whole books like barefoot ragamuffin's English lessons through literature.  It would make the text feel a lot more 'real' to me if that makes sence. 

SO--because of that, we use the WWE book instead of the workbook.  I find that it is REALLY well laid out, and super easy to use.  They have a list detailing what you need cover each week of the year.   (Example:  One week might have you find sentences that have the word "I" in the middle of it.  etc.)    I use that list as a 'check list' for myself so I can be sure I don't skip anything.  Each time we do copy a sentence that meets the criteria from the list, I put a check mark next to it in my WWE book.  After we have 4 check marks next a topic (and the kids can do it in their sleep) I consider it covered.  Any other teaching on that particular item is just icing on the cake.   (We are using FLL so the grammar in WWE is mostly a review.)

I do NOT do not plan what sentence we will use ahead of time.  I literally take their book, open it, and find a sentence.  It takes me maybe 5 minutes.  (As a funny note, every time I have prepped sentences to use, I end up deciding not to use them at the last minute. Sometimes we make things more difficult than it needs to be.  It really doesn't have to be complicated.   Reading the samples of English Lessons Through Literature has given me the confidence to do this. ) 

I also understand what you mean about not wanting to make his regular 'read alouds' feel like work.  We do narrate back our science and history readings.  BUT, our other read alouds are a relaxing, fun thing for our family.  I don't want to turn *everything* into writing practice.    So, one thing you could do  is grab a nice version of Aesop's Fables and read through that.  Use that as your narration text.  (I personally LOVE this version.  It is a very beautiful book.)   Work through each of these fables starting with the shorter ones and gradually working up to the longer ones.  They are naturally the perfect length for WWE 1 narrations.  After your finish the Aesop fable book, I would then move on to a well written collection of Fairy Tales or Beatrix Potter tales.  (Or something similar) and have him narrate back those slightly longer stories.   Using a collection of short stories would give you what you needed for narration.  You don't have to use a *whole* book.  You know? 

Here is how we do it:

This week we are working on capitalizing the word "I" in the middle of a sentence.  I pull open their AAR reader and skim through until I find a sentence with the word "I" in it.  (These are all words they have been taught the spelling rules of.  This is important to me because we are also doing dictation.  This may not be important to you in this stage of learning.)   As a bonus, this particular sentence has some other proper nouns in in it too.  We can also review those concepts.  Jackpot. 

I write the sentence on the board without any punctuation or capitalization.   The kids take turns finding mistakes and fixing them on the board.  (They think this is fun and it helps highlight the grammar we are reviewing.  It also gives them some editing skills.)  After we 'fix' our sentence, the kids copy the sentence from the board in their best handwriting on some grade level handwriting paper.    I watch closely as they do this and fix any mistakes I see them making as they are writing.  (I think this is a crucial part of WWE.  I do NOT assign this as independent work.  The point is to practice writing things correctly.  I don't want them to write it incorrectly and then fix it at the end.  Very important.) 

After that we come over to the couch and I read them an Aesop's fable.   We are easing into WWE 2 at this point, so I am starting to work on having them pick out the main details of the story instead of just "telling me one thing they can remember."   I ask them some basic questions and they answer in complete sentences.  First I have them identify the main character and setting.  I then ask some leading questions reviewing the story.  (Basically *I* identify the main details of the story in my mind, and ask questions which force them to give these details as answers.)   If they can't answer any of the questions, I re-read that portion of the fable and ask the same question again.  I don't give them the answer.  After that, they narrate the story back to me.  

On Friday's I have them use their narrations as copywork.  (At least the first part.) 

I've just been following this thread, but thanks so much TheAttachedMama for those details! It's very helpful to me.

Yes thanks from me too. That really helps. I have the option to buy a complete set of Beatrix Potter at the moment and I was thinking of usin them. After we have finished each one they can have it for themselves. It might take a couple of weeks for each though so maybe fables first may be best.