Menu

What do you like : CW Primers or English Lessons through Literature

Hi, I have a question for those of you who used CW Primers or English Lessons through Literature from www.bearfootmeandering.com.

I looked at sample pages for English Lessons through Literature books and they remind me a lot of Primers from CW which I used with my oldest daughter. She really liked them. If you used English Lessons through Literature  books how did you find them? What did you like or dislike about them?

I am thinking of combining CW Primers with CW English Lessons through Literature books because they complement each other( in my opinion, of course). CW primers are intended for 2 graders so I was thinking of using Level 1 of the English Lessons through Literature for my second daughter before I move to CW Primers. Thanks for your replies. :)

We used ELTL 2 through The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. We liked it in many ways, but there were some problems we ran into with the grammar instruction. Not so much the actual instruction, as I thought that part was pretty well done. However, the sentence selections for the workbook part for the student were very confusing at times. There is no answer key, so no way to know the author's thoughts. It's like she tried to choose the longest, most complex sentence for each lesson. The sentence structure for ...Oz can be awkward by modern standards anyway. Really scrutinize the samples. Complete the workbook part on your own (don't just skim, parse) and then think about your child completing it. DD's bright, but I was having to say, "yes, but..." a lot of times. Since that part is the only written grammar work for the child, it is important to me that it not be wishy-washy. I can't remember whether nouns as ideas is in the sample, but that's a good one to look over.

What is nice about ELTL 2 is that it includes poetry, fables, picture study, narration, memorization, copy work and drawing. Many of these components are often found in vintage English books. What I like better about the vintage versions are the included study questions for poetry and picture study. Vintage books I find more charming too.