Menu

Easy French Readers

My ds11 is looking for easy French books to read.  We all ready use some of the books from the library, but many in his reading level are preschool.  I'm trying to figure out what may interest him, but be very simple.

In the same vein, could anyone recommend a beginner's French Bible story collection?

Thank you soo much.

We've enjoyed Les Aventures d'Isabelle published by Command Performance Language Institute. They've got a lot of other novels that we haven't acquired yet. Isabelle is a very short book aimed at beginning French students. Half the paperback is vocabulary and cultural information to help students understand the book. The story itself is cute, and the vocabulary is repetitive. A well-done work for this level.

We also enjoy Calvin and Hobbes in French! 

We've enjoyed Les Aventures d'Isabelle published by Command Performance Language Institute. They've got a lot of other novels that we haven't acquired yet. Isabelle is a very short book aimed at beginning French students. Half the paperback is vocabulary and cultural information to help students understand the book. The story itself is cute, and the vocabulary is repetitive. A well-done work for this level.

Thank you for this link! I wish they would add the audio component to books.

I'm just glancing through a "Mes Premiers J'aime Lire" (slightly easier than J'aime Lire) and it looks like he'd need to be familiar with present, passé composé,imparfait, and future verb tenses.  Not necessarily expert, but just able to recognize them to figure out what is going on in the story.  I took a picture of the first page of "Les Exploits d'Elliott"

If this is the right level, he might also enjoy the Plume Le Pirate series.   

We've enjoyed Les Aventures d'Isabelle published by Command Performance Language Institute. They've got a lot of other novels that we haven't acquired yet. Isabelle is a very short book aimed at beginning French students. Half the paperback is vocabulary and cultural information to help students understand the book. The story itself is cute, and the vocabulary is repetitive. A well-done work for this level.

I want to thank you once more for pointing out these books existed. We just got Les Aventures d'Isabelle (about 30 minutes ago to be exact :) ) and my boys can read and understand almost all of it. I can't tell you the moral boost my kids just got! They can see the fruits of their hard work.

Well, I am going to order the rest of those books one at a time!

Thought of one other idea.... Magic Tree House books translated into French, if you can find them here. The sentences are very short, very simple. I picked up four or five of them. My children whipped through them, but the novelty of reading them in French wore off after those five, so I didn't get any more.