Menu

Trivium and kids who are 'ahead'

Sally Day

My 6yo son is getting ahead in most things (FLL, WWE, AAS). He's about a year in front at the moment. I am a bit concerned that he will be starting logic stage work before he is emotionally/developmentally ready for it. I assume this is a pretty common issue and wonder how people have dealt with it? Thanks in advance for your help!

You can just go deeper instead of higher, IYKWIM. So take time for rabbit trails and interests! Use what he's learned before he goes on to more complex grammar.

Also, many high achieving kids slow down, not maintaining the pace of their learning as they get older. So he may keep moving fast, or he may slow down a bit; you can't predict at this point.

You enter logic stage when they developmentally enter logic stage, not when you've completed x number of books. One of mine is also a year ahead in some subjects, two years in Math. There are lots of ways of dealing with it (just keep going, deeper not higher, doing multiple programs simultaneously). I second the accelerated board.

I haven't had any issues. I do what my son is ready for when he's ready for it. In writing, he's not yet done logic stage work. In math, he's been doing logic stage work for a while. In history, I give him books at the appropriate input level for him.

I have definitely found 3rd and 4th grade to be easier than 1st and 2nd. Now we're about to start 5th grade. It won't really look that much different from 4th grade.

Consider lateral moves. E.g., for math, I alternate Singapore with Miquon.

In science, you can build some of the BFSU topics into a month's deeper study instead of doing them in a day or two.

In writing, layer some fun stuff (maybe Bravewriter?) or help him to work on the same skill set in a foreign language.

I would call this year Logic Stage in Transition.  Mostlikely next year will be somewhat that as well.  My son is 9.  Next year will be formally fifth grade (whatever that means).  His advanced schoolwork doesn't mean he is completely ready for the logic stage, so we are doing a couple transition years.  Much like we did when we shifted into school in the first place.  There was no "beginning at six," but more of a progression from 3 to six.

Mainly this year there was a significant shift over to discussion.  Lots of focus on why he believed what he believed.  Lots of discussion about process and what his individual process look like.  Where previously I jumped in and we worked on what the process "should" be, I realized this year it was very much time to discuss with him what his process looked like and began to work significantly on him being able to explain it.  By no means are we trying to jump into rhetoric, but more to really have him start reasoning his way through the ideas he is beginning to put together in his head.  So, next year it is much less about repetitions of material and much more about repetitions of process.

More than anything, I am wanting him to begin to see the most central truths which tend to flow through all subjects.  Andrew Kern refers to these as truth, goodness, and beauty.  I throw in grace and the Fruit of the Spirit list.  In general, these are culturally seen as what makes a good citizen regardless of nationality or religion.  They are the essence of being human.  These transition years, I am wanting him to realize grasp and begin displaying those characteristics through Great Works and his own behavior.

At 11 we will fully kick into Logic stage, but these seem like good places to begin getting there.

Thanks for all the advice. I have already started going deeper so thanks for affirming that move for me! In fact, we are really enjoying having the luxury of time to do so. EndofOrdinary, I loved your paragraph on central truths. I will let that take seed in my mind and germinate!