Menu

Favorite books/movies for the older Logic Stage crew

My oldest two are 12 and 13.  I'm having a hard time balancing books I REALLY want to share with them but may be inappropriate still and books that are boring for them.  They are voracious readers and have read almost everything recommended for their age ranges.  They are mature.  They aren't bothered by scary stuff or hard topics (like with The Hunger Games).  However, they ARE bothered by sex.  They really don't want to read it.  Right now I'm reading the Kingkiller Chronicles aloud to them and editing out those bits with their knowledge because they asked me to avoid them-they actually do not care and do not want to hear them.  That makes me feel kind of weird.  I'm not a big fan of censoring books and feel maybe they should have waited to get to them, but they're very into it.  

So my question is-what are good book series or single books for this age/maturity range?  Preferably in the fiction/fantasy range.  They are big fans of Tolkien, Neil Gaiman, Rowling, Pullman, the Riyira Revelations/Chronicles, Wheel of Time, and books like that.  Some of those border on what I'm comfortable with and what they're comfortable with.  But they're well above the usual recommended books for their age.  I would like books with meaty content that is good for ripe discussion at a more advanced level.  

And with shows: They have also watched more mature shows like the new Batman, The Patriot, Braveheart, everything Tim Burton, The Matrix (part 1), The Book Thief, Amistad, etc.  I would like to get into more cinema studies this year, so I'm looking for ones I may have missed that are good for this age. If it matters, we are into the 20th century for history, but I do not need the movies linked to the time period for literary/cinema discussions. 

Here are the videos that my daughter watched in ninth grade when she studied the 20th century.  You'll probably wish to preview for content.

Battleship Potemkin (1904)
The Sinking of the Lusitania (Winsor McCay)
Influenza 1918
The Best Arbuckle Keaton Collection
Inherit the Wind
All Quiet on the Western Front
Cabaret
Rabbit Proof Fence (1930s)
1940's house
Shane
Atomic Cafe
Ed Sullivan
Evita
All the President's Men
Forrest Gump
Hair
Good Morning, Vietnam
The Mouse that Roared
Wit

Regards,

Kareni

In the book, What Stories Does My Son Need, the author has these movies listed for the middle school age:

Apollo 13

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Chariots of Fire

The Color Purple

Dances with Wolves

Dead Poets Society

Edward Scissorhands

The Elephant Man

Field of Dreams

Gandhi

Glory

The Grapes of Wrath

High Noon

Hoosiers

Lucas

Mask

Men Don't Leave

Mr. Holland's Opus

Places in the Heart

Rocky

Searching for Bobby Fischer

Silverado

Stand by Me

Vision Quest

White Squall

When I was that age, I read my way through the classics on my parents' shelves. Largely 19th century British lit, because that's what I loved (and still do), but really anything. No worries about sexual explicitness and plenty of challenge. My husband adored Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe and Jules Verne books.

For more recent works, I second Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams and add: 

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (gorgeous sort-of children's book about words and censorship)

Fuzzy books by H. Beam Piper (John Scalzi rewrote these recently, so there's an interesting study in reading the old Fuzzy books and compare them to the new Fuzzy Nation)

Magician: Apprentice series by Raymond Feist and the companion series Servant of the Empire by Feist and Wurts. 

Fiction, not fantasy/sci fi:

Tony Hillerman (just fun mysteries, but his Native American info is nicely authentic)

Agatha Christie

Ngaio Marsh

Georgette Heyer

Alexander McCall Smith

Thornton Wilder

Some old movies:
The Philadelphia Story 
Bringing Up Baby
Maltese Falcon
Sabrina 
Bachelor Mother

More recent:
The Winslow Boy (lovely British film about honesty and loyalty)
Finding Forrester (Sean Connery as a cranky old writer)

I read a lot of classics at that age.

Jane Austin

Charles Dickens

Agatha Christie

Gone With the Wind

Rebecca

Dracula

Frankenstein

Tolkien

Steinbeck

I'd also second that now's the time Douglas Adams may be appreciated, Carl Sagan, Enid Blyton, Gaiman, various graphic novels (such as Sandman) would be okay I think.

For movies: Hitchcock, Citizen's Kane, Jimmy Stewart movies (they may find Harvey fun and weird), Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, My oldest ds loves Forrest Gump and Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

Schindler's List in parts if you think they can handle it.

All the musicals!!! Singing in the Rain, Sound of Music, Westside Story. The Jazz Singer!---since you're doing modern.

2001 Space Odyssey is interesting. ET!! I watched Close Encounters of Third Kind when I was a kid. Couple it with talking about John Williams for composer studies.

The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Magnificent Seven, To Kill A Mockingbird (the book too), Wizard of Oz (any Judy garland movie), A tree Grows in Brooklyn, Grapes of Wrath.

Okay---i love movies. My kid shave gotten used to my old, mostly grey movies a long time ago.

pssst---and if you haven't yet---It's A Wonderful Life!!!

How did I know you'd recommend It's a Wonderful Life and Oh Brother? ;)  They've seen it, too.  But I definitely need to add the classic movies to our history.  

They read Ender's Game, but I've heard the next few in the series are extremely...messed up, even for adults. 

I think my oldest just finished my Bronte and Austen collections.  She did NOT like Jane Eyre (boo!) but did like Rebecca. :)

They read Ender's Game, but I've heard the next few in the series are extremely...messed up, even for adults. 

Dh really enjoyed the next two... but we won't let our son read them yet....vivisection of piggies

I'd also second that now's the time Douglas Adams may be appreciated, Carl Sagan, Enid Blyton, Gaiman, various graphic novels (such as Sandman) would be okay I think.

Actually Sandman has graphic violence, some sex, nudity, drugs and some pretty intense dark and disturbing storylines, so I'd suggest the OP preview it first. I love the Sandman books, but whether they're appropriate for middle schoolers is questionable.

The Sandman books are published by Vertigo, which is DC's adult imprint. It was originally created by DC to print the books that were too mature for the strict CCA guidelines. As a result, graphic novels published under the Vertigo imprint fall into the rated-R category.

I really enjoyed all Stephen Lawhead's books - some are fantasy, some science fiction and some historical fiction. One of the series is aimed at teens, but all would be appropriate for your children. My favorite with the ones based on Arthurian legend.

And CS Lewis's science fiction trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength) are 3 others they should enjoy.

Actually Sandman has graphic violence, some sex, nudity, drugs and some pretty intense dark and disturbing storylines, so I'd suggest the OP preview it first. I love the Sandman books, but whether they're appropriate for middle schoolers is questionable.

The Sandman books are published by Vertigo, which is DC's adult imprint. It was originally created by DC to print the books that were too mature for the strict CCA guidelines. As a result, graphic novels published under the Vertigo imprint fall into the rated-R category.

Yes I know that, but there are few that I wouldn't hesitate letting my kids see, but it's not really a big deal either way.

Fwiw, I'm an adult and I don't like to read about sex. ;)

My favorite fantasy series when I was a kid (before I read Tolkien) was The Belgariad by David Eddings.

Maybe your kids would like to read To Kill a Mockingbird and then watch the movie.

Apollo 13 has one scene with the single astronaut in the shower w/a girl. That was the only part that was awkward in our house.

Enders Game and the sequels are great books.  Terrible movie, but excellent books.  

I agree that the sequels are very thought-provoking and probably not for 12/13, but you might try the Ender's Shadow series. Still serious subjects & lots of thought, but not as 'weird' as the regular Ender's series.

Anybody read Starship Troopers lately? Can't remember if there was inappropriate (typical Heinlein) content or if was relatively sex-free for the younger crowd. I remember how much it made me really think about government, voting, war, and what responsibilities I should have as a member of the world. I tend to skip over / not remember the inappropriate stuff for particular books (or movies), but my mental note was "high school" for this one, so maybe there was something? I don't recommend the movie, BTW. 

Thanks, lots of good ideas.  

For books do most of you try to get them from your local library first?  Or do you buy the individual and trilogy sets?  Our kids read books so fast I could see this really getting expensive.

I try for library first. Local library rarely has them. We have a membership at Big City library - who sometimes has stuff. Our libraries subscribe to Overdrive - e-audio & e-books available for checkout. Some stuff there. Classics are sometimes available on Amazon/Kindle or e-pub'd somewhere. If someone else has the e-book, they can "loan" it to you. (Not sure exactly how this works, but I know it can be done.) 

I've done all of these except the last one. I can see doing the latter if one of my IRL friends owns one & recommends it to us. I'm a bit of a neo-luddite, but some of my friends are technogeeks.

DD13 just found "Cinder" by Marissa Meyer and is very eagerly awaiting the next book, "Scarlett" and "Cress".  They are fairy tale and sci fi based.  Cyborgs and fairy tales themes.  She read "Cinder" in 1 day.  On Marissa Meyer's official site she several lists of book suggestions that she really likes.  DD is planning to work her way through that list when she is finished with the other two coming in.  OH and Marissa Meyer has a published fanfic book called Heartless.  It's a prequel to the Queen of Hearts story in Alice and Wonderland.  We'll probably get that too, if I can find out where.

DD13 just found "Cinder" by Marissa Meyer and is very eagerly awaiting the next book, "Scarlett" and "Cress". They are fairy tale and sci fi based. Cyborgs and fairy tales themes. She read "Cinder" in 1 day. On Marissa Meyer's official site she several lists of book suggestions that she really likes. DD is planning to work her way through that list when she is finished with the other two coming in. OH and Marissa Meyer has a published fanfic book called Heartless. It's a prequel to the Queen of Hearts story in Alice and Wonderland. We'll probably get that too, if I can find out where.

I've recently read these 3 books and they'd be fine. There is a bit of stereotypical romantic match ups that started getting on my nerves, but the books are fun. She's working on a fourth book in the series.

In the book, What Stories Does My Son Need, the author has these movies listed for the middle school age:

Apollo 13

Chariots of Fire

The Color Purple

Dances with Wolves

Dead Poets Society

Edward Scissorhands

The Elephant Man

Field of Dreams

Gandhi

Glory

The Grapes of Wrath

High Noon

Hoosiers

Lucas

Mask

Men Don't Leave

Mr. Holland's Opus

Places in the Heart

Rocky

Silverado

Stand by Me

Vision Quest

White Squall

I have to quote your post so I can find it and print it later.  Thanks for sharing!

Anything by Heinlein. He plays with the concepts of sex, but nothing graphic. Much more just along the lines of saying, "let's go to bed!" I do not know if even that is objectionable. Ayn Rand really captured my attention at that age, so did Bradbury. All of them are quite significant cultural commentary.

Anything by Heinlein. He plays with the concepts of sex, but nothing graphic. Much more just along the lines of saying, "let's go to bed!" I do not know if even that is objectionable. Ayn Rand really captured my attention at that age, so did Bradbury. All of them are quite significant cultural commentary.

I thought the multiple sex partners and swapping going on in some of his books is more than I'm willing to let my son read at this point...and we don't censor much!

To sail beyond the sunset is the one that stands out as most clearly a no!

Re: Heinlein

Especially when the multiple partners are your kids, your kids' spouse, or your own parents. Some of the themes he deals with are deeper than I'd suggest pre-high school - like Stranger in a Strange Land. Maturity-wise best left until they are older, IMO. 

I'm saving Ayn Rand until high school as well as at least one of her thicker tomes starts out with a rape scene, doesn't it? (I think it is The Fountainhead - the book my husband gave to my mother for a wedding gift.  :glare: )

Re: Heinlein

Especially when the multiple partners are your kids, your kids' spouse, or your own parents. Some of the themes he deals with are deeper than I'd suggest pre-high school - like Stranger in a Strange Land. Maturity-wise best left until they are older, IMO. 

I'm saving Ayn Rand until high school as well as at least one of her thicker tomes starts out with a rape scene, doesn't it? (I think it is The Fountainhead - the book my husband gave to my mother for a wedding gift.  :glare: )

Um, yeah.  I think we'll wait on those.  And I can't stand Rand, so she'd have to sneak that one past me. ;)

Apollo 13

Chariots of Fire

The Color Purple

Dances with Wolves

Dead Poets Society

Edward Scissorhands

The Elephant Man

Field of Dreams

Gandhi

Glory

The Grapes of Wrath

High Noon

Hoosiers

Lucas

Mask

Men Don't Leave

Mr. Holland's Opus

Places in the Heart

Rocky

Silverado

Stand by Me

Vision Quest

White Squall

Thanks for sharing this list! This is another awesome thread.