Menu

Pottery Barn?

*lifeoftheparty*

I need to redo both boys' bedrooms this summer.

I *love* the bedding at Pottery Barn kids- but it is so expensive. Like, $179 for a full size quilt/comforter.

However, I was at Target last night and looked at theirs out of curiosity, and the same type of quilt/comforter was $90.

So I was just wondering if the quality was worth the extra $100.

We're putting bunk beds into older DS's room, so I would need a Full and a twin, plus sheets, and it's just so much money on bedding!! But I don't want crappy quality either....

So, what do you all think? Is the stuff from Pottery Barn worth the money? Is there somewhere else to get excellent quality bedding for kids' rooms?

TIA!

I have owned several pottery barn quilts through the years.  They have all been very well made and held up wonderfully.  I used to wash our quilt a lot because the dog slept on our bed and their quilts held up to it.  I don't know if it is worth it to you or not.  For me, it was worth it.  I have also found good quality children's bedding at Land of Nod, but they are expensive too.  We tried Company Kids one year and they quality was not the same at all and it wasn't that much cheaper.  I'm not sure about Target.  They have some really cute designs, but I don't know how well they hold up.  I am in the process of redoing both of my girls rooms because we just moved to a new house.  One of them chose bedding from Pottery Barn Teen and the other one chose bedding from Land of Nod.  It was really expensive, but I think it will all hold up well.  We plan to paint their rooms in a coordinating color and I didn't want to take the chance on cheaper bedding not holding up.

Suzanne

We purchased a bedroom set & bedding from Pottery Barn for one of my sons.  It has all held up great.  It's approx. 6 years old now and I can see it being good MANY more years.  My other ds picked a quilt from Target.  It's definitely of cheaper quality but not necessarily bad.  Maybe consider how long you think your dc will want to keep that type of bedroom design.  If it'll be long term it may be better to invest in the more expensive set.  

I have had bedding from both places several times over the years. Both have provided me with durable products. Kids bedding may not have as deep a pocket in the fitted sheets or as wide a drop on the flat sheets and bedspreads. Make sure you look at dimensions from both stores' products. I have never had bedding fall apart, but I have had bedding not fit such that one side of the bed gets short changed. Grr.

Thanks guys!

It definitely makes me feel better about the price to hear that it holds up well. DS will be 10 in a few weeks and he still has his Lightning McQueen bedding from when he was like, 4? 5? I don't remember.... But it's time for an update, lol!!

He also gets attached to things, and doesn't like to change things to often- likes things to stay the same (like his mother)- so I do think that whatever we get will probably need to last until he leaves the house (I hate even WRITING that!). That's why I was thinking getting a patchwork type quilt, and just changing out the sheets as his taste/interests change. So I don't mind paying for something that will last that long- but I *hate* when you pay big bucks for something that isn't the best quality, ya' know?

I've never been in the PB teen store, but we do have one- maybe we'll check it out, but honestly, I don't think I'm ready for teen stuff- "kids" is much more comforting ;)

Now- is there anywhere to get Pottery Barn coupons, or do they have big sales a certain time of the year?

Ditto what everyone else is saying -- I bought a PB crib bumper for Link when he was a baby.  It was used but you wouldn't have known it.  When I got it I couldn't believe it was used or that I'd gotten it for the price I did ($10, IIRC).  

When each of the boys turned 3, I bought cheaper comforters - yeah, won't do that again.  Pink's was on sale (PBK, I don't think they carry it anymore but it was one of my favorites and matched her room perfectly!) so I think I bought that when she was 2-3.  Link just got a new quilt last year, and Astro is next in line to get one.  He still has his cheapo one, but he doesn't use it.  I figure each of the boys will get one more quilt before they leave home (early-mid teens, probably), and Pink will get 2 more (around the same ages).  I'm cool with paying the extra for the PB ones.  

Plus they're so pretty!!!

We moved into our house when dd was 6.  A family friend bought her a beautiful PB quilt and matching sheet set.  We still use the sheets--they have held up beautifully.  The quilt we have put away because she has long since outgrown pink, but it has also worn beautifully and still looks nearly new.

My boys have Company Store comforters (similar in quality/price to PB) that we were lucky enough to find at a garage sale.  They are also high quality and have been used for years.  When I bough sheets for ds's bed I bought PB off e-bay because I was impressed with the quality of dd's PB sheets.  We've used that same sheet set 24/7 literally for years (only take it off to wash and put right back on).  It is still in great shape.  I can't say the same of the sheets I purchased from JCPenney for my bed.

Nothing wrong with Target's quality for the price.  But if you want something that lasts, perhaps even to pass on to a younger sibling or cousin, PB is the way to go.