Menu

Need help with bunnies found in my yard

Jerico

So last year, i found several dead bunnies in my yard that the dog found. I just found a new nest of at least 5 babies (super young, no fur yet). These are pretty much right under where the grass starts (just below where the mover hits, i'm glad my dh didn't hit them.)

Anyways, the dog will get them so I put a wooden box with no bottom over it and a screen on top. I can't tell if the mom is with them. I think he may be/ or have a way in because after i came back to check on them they were covered with fur (that fur is now gone but it did storm last night). I don't want the dog to hurt them, but I don't want to trap them there with the box if there is no way out. I don't know if they are getting food.

What should i do?

I know this doesn't exactly apply to your situation, but just an FYI: momma bunnies leave their babies during the day. It's a defense against predators. So the fact that the bunnies are alone does not mean they are abandoned. It just means momma is doing what momma bunnies do; she'll be back.

Ok. PSA over. :)  You just hear of a lot of people finding oh no! abandoned bunnies! every spring, and really, that's rarely the case.

If I were you, I would try finding a local wildlife rescue that can advise you. If your dog wasn't an issue, the advice would be to just leave them alone; I'm not sure what you should do in your case. There's no way to keep the dog away from the area entirely, I guess? Even if you can keep the dog out of the nest for now, I assume he'll just kill them when they eventually become active and start leaving the nest.

If you can keep the dog away, do so.  Does the box have an opening for Mama to go through?  If at all possible I would try to let Mama find them again and move them on her own.  She might do so if she smells human on the box.  I've taken very young bunnies to the Wildlife Rescue because my cat had found them and I had no idea where the nest was, but they died despite being fed with an eye dropper.  

I know this doesn't exactly apply to your situation, but just an FYI: momma bunnies leave their babies during the day. It's a defense against predators. So the fact that the bunnies are alone does not mean they are abandoned. It just means momma is doing what momma bunnies do; she'll be back.

Ok. PSA over. :)  You just hear of a lot of people finding oh no! abandoned bunnies! every spring, and really, that's rarely the case.

If I were you, I would try finding a local wildlife rescue that can advise you. If your dog wasn't an issue, the advice would be to just leave them alone; I'm not sure what you should do in your case. There's no way to keep the dog away from the area entirely, I guess? Even if you can keep the dog out of the nest for now, I assume he'll just kill them when they eventually become active and start leaving the nest.

:iagree:  many animals do that.  momma has to go off and forage for food too.  many well-meaning humans "rescue" baby animals that didn't need rescuing - and instead make frantic wild-animal mothers.

eta: even if the babies have contact with humans, their parents will stll be back.  I had a baby bird, who wasn't quite ready for flight, end up in my garage.  I got it in a box (I used gloves), and placed it on an exterior deck (safe from other animals) near where i knew the nest was.  then I closed the drapes.  the parents were right there caring for their baby for the next two days until it could successfully fly.  (and the parents had been screeching in panic from the time the baby bird entered my garage until I got it on the deck.)

This is the case. She is hopping around out there to draw predators to her and away from her babies. Perfectly normal behavior. Yes, your dog might get them. It is the unfortunate way of nature, but blocking his access to them also means blocking her access to get back to them which will cause them to die as well.

If you get any human scent on them at all, she may not be willing to take care of them after that and if you handle the barrier you placed without gloves, you may have already risked this.

Unless you see a species that is endangered or on a watch list, you are not likely to get a wildlife rescue to come get them. Bunnies are, unfortunately, a dime a dozen and many areas their natural predators are low in number so their population is too big to begin with and a naturalist, looking at this from a habitat/environmental/circle of life type reality may not be inclined to get in the way of mother nature as harsh as it may seem.

You could try a shock collar with your dog and zapping him every time he approaches the area until he decides it's not worth it to go investigate the nest. You might train him to leave them along until they are old enough to leave the nest. After that, I don't know what you'd do to prevent him from killing them. It's just in his nature. I have a cocker spaniel who plays with stuffed animals and what does he do? He picks them up and shakes them vigorously by the neck. It's his natural instinct to kill his wild food. Snap it's neck. As lovely a pet as he is, as charming as he is, as well behaved as he is, I have no doubts that if got access to a bunny this would be the exact thing he would do. He probably wouldn't be inclined to eat it since he has a healthy supply of tasty meals here. But, I'll never entirely be able to train his natural instinct out of him so you'll have to decide just how much you want to intervene. Mamma bunny is going to do what she's going to do and if she for some reason thinks your yard is a good nesting spot, you'll probably have the trouble on a regular basis. So, think long term in your planning.

Sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear!

Well, now I know. It still makes me sad though. If my dog is going to get animals, I don't want to see it or clean up after it. Especially babies.

I did call wildlife rescue and waiting for their call back. I moved the cover and I will try to keep the dog away.

If you don't get a return call from the rescue, let me know.  I attended a talk on raptors with my kids a few weeks ago, and the woman hosting it does wildlife rescue.  She gave us some tips, and we took her card in case we have any questions or find any abandoned animals.  She trains other rescuers and has been doing this for many years.  I could give you her # and she might have info for you if mama doesn't return.

Even experienced wildlife rehabbers have trouble keeping baby bunnies alive apart from their mother.  It's best to allow the mother to continue to care for her babies.  As others have said, it's very unlikely that they are abandoned.  Mother bunnies usually only come to the nest very briefly, and usually only once or twice a day.  Please read this:  rabbit.org/faq-orphaned-baby-bunnies/

The babies will be on their own in about a month.  If you can keep your dog away from the area until then, that would be ideal.