Menu

hilarious audio book

lacell

Looking for a silly/uproariously funny audiobook for my nearly 5 year old boy. It's okay if it has bathroom humor but nothing with any other objectionable material (people talking unkindly to eachother, bad language, etc.).

it's sad to say but the 'no talking unkindly' seems pretty limiting for laugh out loud genre

Plus, are you looking for picture book length or longer? 

Here's some to consider (I believe all might fail the 'no talking unkindly' but less than Junie IMO) - might be a little old depending on your child:

The Trouble with Chickens

Little Wolf's Book of Badness

Hank the Cowdog

it's sad to say but the 'no talking unkindly' seems pretty limiting for laugh out loud genre

The problem is that my son tends to imitate the bad characters instead of learn from them. For example, if you are familiar with the the sharing book "The MInosaur," that book was a disaster for him. It started him saying "Mine, mine!" all the time lol!

I'd say Ramona and Fudge books but they both do some hilariously naughty things. My girls have been begging to squeeze out a tube of tooth paste since listening to our last Ramona book.

These are the exact same antics my dd4 absorbed from the Fudge series and the Ramona Quimby books! I thought it would be a bit better as we are now reading Ramona Quimby, Age 8...nope! AND she is fascinated by Willa Jean, lol:)

I agree, you will have trouble finding books that are truly funny within the guidelines you are looking for, as the realm of 'funny' for children that age tends to revolve around behavior they are recognizing as 'bad' or 'inappropriate'...that is WHY they find it funny!

I think the better bet would be to define your absolutes. As in, what can you use as a learning lesson and what do you KNOW your kid will glom onto that you absolutely cannot tolerate.

For me, that means that animals are often the main characters. My dd is able to separate animal behavior from that of humans in a way that allows her to better recognize the unacceptable. Sounds backwards, but she knows full well (after talks) what anthropomorphism and personification are...presenting 'bad' behavior to her in this way is slightly removed from people doing it--she sees the connection, recognizes it as funny both because it is inappropriate and that an animal is doing it, but does not seem to glom onto the behavior nearly as much. Convoluted? Definitely, but it gives her a way to consider behavior norms without assigning them to people and wanting to 'try them on for size!'

So! Maybe try books with animal characters for awhile...Dick King-Smith, and something like the Mercy Watson series. They were the first beginning chapter books my kiddo took to bed independently, and she found them hilarious:)

I agree, you will have trouble finding books that are truly funny within the guidelines you are looking for, as the realm of 'funny' for children that age tends to revolve around behavior they are recognizing as 'bad' or 'inappropriate'...that is WHY they find it funny!

I think the better bet would be to define your absolutes. As in, what can you use as a learning lesson and what do you KNOW your kid will glom onto that you absolutely cannot tolerate.

For me, that means that animals are often the main characters. My dd is able to separate animal behavior from that of humans in a way that allows her to better recognize the unacceptable. Sounds backwards, but she knows full well (after talks) what anthropomorphism and personification are...presenting 'bad' behavior to her in this way is slightly removed from people doing it--she sees the connection, recognizes it as funny both because it is inappropriate and that an animal is doing it, but does not seem to glom onto the behavior nearly as much. Convoluted? Definitely, but it gives her a way to consider behavior norms without assigning them to people and wanting to 'try them on for size!'

So! Maybe try books with animal characters for awhile...Dick King-Smith, and something like the Mercy Watson series. They were the first beginning chapter books my kiddo took to bed independently, and she found them hilarious:)

I agree! Kids doing naughty things gives my son too many ideas, and too much sass. But animals on the other hand. That seems different to him somehow.

Sadly I can't monitor and explain the behaviors in all the books that he devours because he goes through so many.

It is not just books I have to be careful of. The other day he told me that I talk too much for a woman when I was explaining something to him. Thanks Liberty's Kids. At least I was about to impress upon him the mindset of their times and he has not said it to me again. My husband of course thinks it is hilarious. I just don't want him talking like that to others.

I agree! Kids doing naughty things gives my son too many ideas, and too much sass. But animals on the other hand. That seems different to him somehow.

Sadly I can't monitor and explain the behaviors in all the books that he devours because he goes through so many.

It is not just books I have to be careful of. The other day he told me that I talk too much for a woman when I was explaining something to him. Thanks Liberty's Kids. At least I was about to impress upon him the mindset of their times and he has not said it to me again. My husband of course thinks it is hilarious. I just don't want him talking like that to others.

I just laughed out loud and woke up Hubby, oops!

Okay, so it really isn't funny at all:). So glad he tried it out on you so that he could get an immediate appropriate response...and not save it for grandma or a neighbor in the street, KWIM?

Man, the things kids pick up on. It is always that one line that you aren't expecting!

I just took notes for book ideas for my kids! My husband hates Junie B Jones because of the grammar and thAt she is a bit of a sassy kindergartener. But my kids giggled the whole time. They don't speak disrespectfully to me from the book though... It would be more " ooooh, momma - did you hear what Junie said! She said .... " and then laughter because they think they are getting away with saying something they normally wouldn't. My husband was a university English and Creative writing professor (until he realized quickly he hates teaching and enjoys a savings account), so he finds it to be a complete waste of brain cells for our kids to listen to a book written with the conversational grammar of a 5 year old, but we only use it for entertainment... But keep that in mind if you do choose JBJ.