Menu

Best Peter Pan edition for Read Aloud

I got the one with illustrations by Robert Ingpen. I like them, but they aren't "classic." The Amazon preview is for an entirely different version of the book, so it's hard to get an idea of the illustrations unless you look at some of his other work. The story is pretty dense, FYI, I wouldn't want to use it as a first read-aloud. I think my DD was 8 when she heard it, and it didn't always hold her attention.

We are currently reading the Great Illustrated Classics version of it.  There is an illustration on every page.  

DD is fond of Jake and the Pirates, and the library had a copy so I gave it a try.  So far she is enjoying it.  I think that knowing the characters has helped.  

An unabridged edition of Peter Pan is pretty different from the Disney Peter Pan in a couple of ways - Tinkerbell swears, and the language is quite old fashioned and uses a lot of words that are different from how we tend to speak nowdays.  I agree with Aurelia that it would be quite a slog as a first chapter book read aloud; however, I will admit that we did the audio book and my kids really enjoyed it even though it was hard for them to understand a lot of the nuance of the story.  So, I'm saying it doesn't hurt to try, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work out great when your kids are so young. 

We compared a couple of versions of Peter Pan from the library. Between Ingpen, Hague and Gustafson we like the Gustafson edition the best. The  Gustafson illustrations are richer, more detailed and convey more emotion. My 16yo daughter, who likes to draw, poured over the Gustafson edition ooohing and aaahhing over the illustrations. In the Hague edition Peter Pan looks like a wild fairy child but the illustrations are flat and less inspirational overall. I have an edition illustrated by Michael Foreman on hold at the library to compare but it won't come in until next week. 

Her is a site where a few different editions are reviewed:

http://www.readalouddad.com/2011/01/best-illustrated-edition-of-peter-pan.html

I haven't read Peter Pan myself, but I assumed it was different. It wouldn't be a first chapter read aloud. We are reading through The Wizard of Oz with great success. I plan to get through quite a bit of the series before doing Pan. I'm working on building our home library though and want good books to fill our shelves with. We have awful libraries here, do I'd prefer to just have our own materials here. :)

I love pretty books! I have spent years building up a huge library for my girls and the heart of it are hardcover, illustrated editions of the classics. Books of Wonder has lovely editions of many of them. The illustrations are fewer, but those that are included are pretty and they bindings are well done. We have the entire Oz series from them and they have their own special shelf in our family room.

I have two editions of Peter Pan and both are beautiful:

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Pan-100th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0805072454/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399938589&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Pete+pan+hague

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Pan-Wendy-Centenary-Illustrated/dp/1402728689/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399938666&sr=8-1&keywords=peter+pan+and+wendy+illustrated

I have such fond memories of Oz. I started reading the Oz series to my oldest daughter when she gave up her afternoon nap at age 3. I still remember that first afternoon cuddled on the couch with her. She loved it so much we read all the Baum books, plus half of the Ruth Plumly Thompson books. We read Baum's Life And Adventures of Santa Clause every December.

Enjoy your Oz journey! I think we might travel down the yellow brick road again this summer now that my girls are older.

I love pretty books! I have spent years building up a huge library for my girls and the heart of it are hardcover, illustrated editions of the classics. Books of Wonder has lovely editions of many of them. The illustrations are fewer, but those that are included are pretty and they bindings are well done. We have the entire Oz series from them and they have their own special shelf in our family room.

I have two editions of Peter Pan and both are beautiful:

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Pan-100th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0805072454/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399938589&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Pete+pan+hague

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Pan-Wendy-Centenary-Illustrated/dp/1402728689/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399938666&sr=8-1&keywords=peter+pan+and+wendy+illustrated

I have such fond memories of Oz. I started reading the Oz series to my oldest daughter when she gave up her afternoon nap at age 3. I still remember that first afternoon cuddled on the couch with her. She loved it so much we read all the Baum books, plus half of the Ruth Plumly Thompson books. We read Baum's Life And Adventures of Santa Clause every December.

Enjoy your Oz journey! I think we might travel down the yellow brick road again this summer now that my girls are older.

We are loving Oz so far! I plan to go through all of them. Our current copies are Books of Wonder! I search the Internet for used copies. :) Thanks for all the suggestions!