Menu

Orthodontic Consultation

lexi

Ok, the day has come and I've scheduled two consultations with two different orthodontists for my oldest (age 8).  I have no idea what to expect or what questions to ask.

So, those of you who have been through this please give me some insight.  What should I look for?  What questions should I ask?  And what should I expect?

I'm going to compare the treatment plans and prices of these two orthos and I might add another one in a week or so to compare as well.  Do you think comparison between 2 or 3 recommended orthos is a good plan?

My daughter has a very small mouth and already has crowding issues with her adult teeth coming in.  So, I think we'll have a long road ahead of us.......

The ortho consultations we've had did not involve many questions.  They took a lot of pictures from different angles, and sometimes did a full x-ray panel (the kind that goes around your head).   Then the orthodontist came in and looked at her mouth and at all the pictures.  Then he talked to me about what he saw being needed, both at that time and in the future.  

The only one of my kids who started things that early was my dd who had a tiny mouth, who needed a couple of baby teeth pulled here and there so that the previous set of permanent teeth would come in straighter.    The orthodontist told the dentist what to do, and the dentist did it.  

I'm not sure if all dentists and orthodontists work in this way, but for us, the dentist wanted the orthodontist to give instructions, because "he will be responsible for how they look in the end."    And the orthodontist did not want to do the tooth pulling.   So they worked together, even though they had never met.     I think some dentists do more, and some orthodontists are willing to do more of it as well.  But it worked well for us the way it was.

What thing you might want to ask: if you are recommended a two-stage treatment, I would ask what would happen if you waited and did a one stage.  We were recommended two stages with Calvin by one orthodontist, but our regular dentist disagreed and we waited.  We went to a different ortho, who did one stage after all C's teeth were in, and his teeth look lovely.

Obviously it will depend on the child, and some may need the two stages.  But it's sometimes - from our experience - not necessary.

L

Here are a couple of thoughts for the orthodontist.

1. As the OP mentioned, compare a one stage and two stage option,

2, compare permanent appliances with head gear.

3. Go over maintenance, for example, I had no idea my DD would need to sleep in a retainer her entire life.

4. Make sure DD understands and is ready for daily care. Tooth brushing and flossing becomes a major ordeal.

5. Payment options. Make sure all stages including maintenance are quoted.

Some might not find this important, but listen to your gut when you're talking with a potential doctor. When we did consultations for my son, there was one doctor that I just didn't feel good about. He just seemed... off somehow. I can't explain it. It was just vibes. Anyway, there were plenty more orthodontists to consider so that one was out regardless of the treatment plan he came up with. I like the one we chose. We see him frequently and he's working in such a delicate area that it was important to me to feel good about him. The kids like him too. I hope that makes sense.

I have a small mouth and so does my son. The red flag item for me is pulling permanent teeth. I had to get 4 pulled as a child and have been told several times that this is not the ideal. The first orthodontist wanted to do that to my son, I ran! The next dentist set up a two stage plan. First stage had him with expanded on top and bottom. His smile is beautiful! So wish I had that done! I've had braces twice for overcrowding - full set! Even with the pulls and I still have crooked teeth. His are just purely beautiful!

Same as Shelly.  I have a small mouth and so does one of my sons.  When I had braces as a teen, they had to pull 4 permanent teeth.  I fully expected that to be the case for my son.  I was pleasantly surprised when we when to the orthodontist last month to find out that they don't need to do that anymore.  The "new" braces these days are able to expand the mouth to allow for all of the teeth!  I'm so glad he didn't have to have the teeth pulled.

Jodie

Thanks for the thoughts!  I'm anti teeth pulling so that is not an option for my girl.  I had a tiny mouth and with orthodontic work all my teeth fit in and I'm happy with my smile.  So I know it can be done!

I've wondered about the two stage thing.  That's a lot of work and expense!  But I also want things to be done right where all her teeth will fit!

Do you think seeing two is enough to compare?

My son started seeing an orthodontist at age 8.  He had a very narrow mouth with crowded teeth and an overbite.  The orthodontist had him use a palate expander for 6 months and now he is in month 5 of a bionator which is slowly training his lower jaw to grow forward.  The difference already is remarkable.  He will not need actual braces until more of his permanent teeth grow in but now there is plenty of room and his jaw will be better alligned.

My mouth was very similar when I was young and I simply had braces in middle school and a few pulled teeth.  Now that I am in my 40s my teeth are no longer as straight as they were when the braces came off.  I wish I had a palate expander but that technology didn't exist when I was young.

Do you have the full head x-ray? I would try to buy it off the first consult if not. No need for extra radiation.

DH and I both had very complicated orthodontic problems, so we were expecting it in offspring. DD needed braces at 8, and likely will need them again. A permanent tooth grew down behind preventing her from being able to bite correctly, so two-stage was necessary for her. DS so far is ok, and the orthodontist wants him to come back when certain teeth are in (or before if a problem crops up as with DD).

We went by recommendation. I asked a zillion people and not one mentioned a different doctor. His online reviews were all stellar, no complaints with state licensing, etc. We liked him and his staff, and the office is 5 minutes away.

-kind of braces? He used Damon, which were great. Long time between adjustments, more gentle, supposedly easier to clean

-after hours policy? A wire popped out in the far back and an assistant met us at 9 am on Saturday so DD wouldn't be stabbed all weekend.

-office vibe? Ours is calm, not tense. Staff all smiling and cheerful. Waiting area not full of people left waiting and pacing. Open, clean, bright.

My DD14 had a small mouth and crowded teeth.  I agree with much of what has already been said.

Go with your gut.  I paid more to go with the Ortho who had a better organized office and came highly recommended for someone who had a lot of problems.

We did a two stage.  First, she had a removable expander.  She could take it out to brush her teeth and to adjust it.  Her lower jaw naturally expanded as the upper jaw.

When you head out to the ortho office for adjustment, take some tylenol to ease the discomfort.

The most discomfort will occur when they pull down teeth that are so slow to erupt.

Ask about their policy of wisdon teeth.  It is not standard to automatically pull the wisdom teeth.

Consider your finances.  My ortho offered a discount if you paid cash.  I did not know this at first but I was able to use my health savings plan to pay off my balance.  The HSA money lowers my tax burden.

My dd will have to wear invisiline for years after she gets her braces.