Menu

Did you go from homeschool to private?

Could you please share your experiences. I'm looking for those who went to a private Christian school or something similar? Is there a part time private school option out there? I'm overwhelmed with all there is to do, and my kids attitudes. I feel like everyone could use some time away, being taught by someone else. My ideal situation would be two oldest ( 8,7) gone two days a week from about 8-2 ...does this exist! Thank you

My oldest went from private school to homeschool back to private school because she just thrived in the classroom setting and not so much at home.

I don't know about part time private school, but we do have co-ops in our area that offer something similar. There is a Christian co-op near us where students attend class all day, 3 days a week, in the co-op. Assignments and homework are done at home the other 2 days of the week. These are academic classes taken for credit, no fluff or "fun" classes. I'm not sure if that's what your looking for, but maybe worth looking into.

The ones in my area are all a little different, some of the bigger ones you don't need to teach a class, but they ask you to contribute something like morning set up, lunch clean-up, snack table or afternoon clean up a few times per semester. Ours has the option to opt out of volunteering for a $25 fee. But they all seem to have different rules & policies.

I would advise that you call around to see what may be options. We live in a small town in NC and I found a private (Christian) school about 11 miles from our house that was willing to try out a part-time option for homeschoolers. I went in and spoke with the Headmaster last year and she was willing to let my son try this year as a part-time student. They hadn't had any homeschoolers prior to my son, but the Board of Directors and Headmaster were open to the idea. So we enrolled my son, 9th grader, for an Honors English class this year. Like you, I was feeling just overwhelmed and burnt out from having to do it all by myself.

This year has worked out so well for us that next year my son is enrolled in several classes for the year. The school is very small and he will have the same Honors English teacher again, as well as several other classes either the full year or on block scheduling.  I am looking forward to having him be accountable to outsider teachers for some of his classes and I can concentrate on still homeschooling my other son, who will be a 5th grader.

I hope you find an option that works for you!

You might look for a "university model" school, where elementary ages go 2 days a week, and parents oversee the pre-planned (by the school teachers) assignments the other 3 days a week at home. That is a drop-off situation.

Some schools offer a 1-day a week option for homeschoolers to participate, or offer enrichment classes (art, music, foreign language, etc.) that are for half a day and are drop-off.

What about paying a former homeschooler, a retired teacher or grandmother, or someone who would like to still like to teach, but not full time, to oversee your children 2 days a week? (Might even be able to make arrangements to drop off children at their house…)

... I'm in small town VA...

Here are the university model schools that came up in a quick search for those located in VA:

Covenant Christian Academy -- Warrenton, VA

info@covenantva.org

http://covenantva.org

gr. K-7

opened in 2009

2013-14 enrollment = 80

Grace Preparatory School -- Stafford, VA

info@graceprepschool.org

www.graceprepschool.org

gr. K-12

opened in 2004

2013-14 enrollment = 116

Oaktree Academy -- Virginia Beach, VA

info@oaktreeacademy.org

www.oaktreeacademy.org

gr. K-12

opened in 2004

2013-14 enrollment = 145

My dc did go from homeschool to private school for a brief time. I, too, was burned out and feeling overwhelmed. It was supposed to be one of the best Christian schools in our area. Turned out to be a horrible experience for my son....he was bullied by two boys in his class (punched, kicked, choked) on at least 12 separate occasions over the first two months of school--and this happened in the classroom. Despite our best attempts to work with the school, nothing was done. Ds was having panic attacks, and unable to sleep. We brought them both back home, ds spent 6 months in counseling, and we tried to save what we had left of that year.

I would also love to see a part-time option, but none of the schools in our area offer that. It is worth contacting the schools you would be interested in, though, and see if it is an option....doesn't hurt to ask. :-)

Calvin went to private (Montessori) school part time for a year (age 6-7).  It was hard to coordinate, friendships were difficult to maintain, and he kept missing out on fun projects (school plays, etc.) because he wasn't there for all the rehearsals.  At the end of the year, they said that they were likely to have to refuse him in the future because the school was filling up and they needed a full time person in that seat.  Luckily we moved away and looked at other options at this point.

After seven years of home education, both boys finally went to a private school.  The transition was not too difficult and they are thriving.

L

I just wanted to say, OP, that what you describe does exist!  My oldest is currently in a K-8 classical Christian school that has a half-day model for all grades and it is wonderful!  I found it by looking through the ACCS website.  We're moving away, so I have to give it up, but it's been really great for our family.

We're in the Norfolk-Virginia Beach area and there are lots of private schools that accept homeschoolers, either for class or two, or as part-time students.  The Virginia Beach Friends School accepts part-timers, but it's pricey.  You would have to call around or visit the private schools in your area to see what they do because they are all different.  Are online classes an option for you?  If so, there are lots of choices in that arena.  we belong to two co-ops and neither require me to teach, but I would get a break on tuition if I did teach.  But I teach at a local college part-time and am taught-out by co-op and don't teach there. 

That sounds neat. I would love that option! I'm in small town VA, and don't have an option like that. I would imagine larger cities have more opportunities , we may move in a few years though :)

At those ages, I'm not sure. Here, there is a protestant, private, classical school that offers a university model (two or three days a week) - but it's for middle and high school, not elementary. I'm not aware of any private schools, in the area, that offer dual enrollment at those ages.

ETA: I take that back. Apparently BJU Academy offers dual enrollment for homeschoolers of all ages (we live very close to BJU).