Menu

Can I get your best Gluten Free resources?

Juniper

Cookbooks? How to's? Things like that.

Ds is doing well on his new meds for adhd, but I can definitely see some other issues going on. We discussed things with his Dr and based on family history/symptoms feel this is the next step. 

I am totally intimidated at trying to switch to this kind of lifestyle when the kids are this old. :( Also, I am realistic that I cannot control him at school. 

I think I had to get to point where both dh and I were ready and willing to take the plunge. 

TIA!

We started GF and dairy free in January for my DD12 that has ADD.  It helps!  The cookbook Cooking for Isaiah helped me tremendously.  It has some good recipes in it, but it also has a good all-purpose grain-free flour recipe that you can substitute into regular recipes.  I think you can find the flour recipe online on her website, too.  Pinterest has led me to some great GF websites.  Try PaleOMG.com for an overwhelming amount of recipes.  It is extremely expensive and time-consuming at first, but it does get better once you figure things out a bit.  I'm still very new to this, but feel free to ask specific questions if you have them. 

We have the new ATK Gluten-Free Cookbook is good, although their flour blend uses powdered milk (which can be an issue for some).

I love Elana's Pantry…and have two of her cookbooks too…. http://www.elanaspantry.com

We did not like any of the GF breads at first, and used rice cakes and pancakes as bread.  Now, 6+ months later, Udi's is O.K.   

Betty Crocker GF brownie mix is really yummy.  Annie's has great GF snacks easily available at Target.  For DS2, having snacks like his friends at school is a really big deal.   Annies GF mac and cheese in a thermos is a favorite lunch.  He also loves sandwiches on long english cucumbers, and just GF crackers, cheese, a tin of peanut butter, etc.

I second the recommendation for Elana's Pantry and her cookbooks.

Also try ThePaleoMom (http://www.thepaleomom.com).

For cookbooks, I have Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilipo and Against All Grain by Danielle Walker. I regularly cook from both of those. Against All Grain even has some slow cooker recipes in it. I also have Well Fed 2 by Melissa Joulwan--I haven't cooked as much from it yet, partially because I'm waiting for an order of ingredients to arrive (she uses a few spices in a lot of recipes that I haven't used before, so I ordered the spices and have decided not to try the recipes until they arrive). But for me, I do think that the first two cookbooks are more useful at this time.

I haven't tried any of their recipes yet (my daughter eats whatever I cook without too much problem), but I hear that Paleo Parents have good recipes for transitioning kids: http://paleoparents.com/.

And one note: since you're avoiding gluten but not necessarily the other ingredients that paleo avoids--many times you can substitute butter for whatever paleo cooking fat the recipe calls for. You also can substitute peanut butter for most of the other nut (and sometimes seed) butters. And many recipes call for coconut milk or almond milk--you may be able to substitute regular milk for those. I regularly use butter and peanut butter, as I'm trying to limit grains without worrying too much right now about the other stuff.

Why cant you control what he does at school?  I packed yummy gluten-free/dairy-free meals for my kids, including treats, and always brought in alternative treats for when there were parties.  

I loved this website's 'how to start' section, tho I didnt end up liking her recipes

This was the first book I got, and it helped me a lot.  She also has a bread-machine version, but I was able to convert her sandwich bread for my bread machine pretty easily.

I spent a fair amount of time on the celiac.com message boards - they are open to anyone trying to eat gluten free.

And honestly, you can google to find gluten free recipes for anything  you could want.  Its become very common.  

Our favorite store-bought bread is Udis.

Why cant you control what he does at school? I packed yummy gluten-free/dairy-free meals for my kids, including treats, and always brought in alternative treats for when there were parties.

I loved this website's 'how to start' section, tho I didnt end up liking her recipes

This was the first book I got, and it helped me a lot. She also has a bread-machine version, but I was able to convert her sandwich bread for my bread machine pretty easily.

I spent a fair amount of time on the celiac.com message boards - they are open to anyone trying to eat gluten free.

And honestly, you can google to find gluten free recipes for anything you could want. Its become very common.

Our favorite store-bought bread is Udis.

I could have phrased that better. The child I had in mind is very sensitive to being perceived as different. He will eat what I pack, but I seriously doubt he would refuse anything offered by someone else. This child will throw away his meds if I don't watch and fully acknowledge his day goes better when he takes them. When asked, all he can tell us is that he just does not want to take meds. :( his doctor had a long talk with him and he understands why he on them, but in the AM before they kick in I still am faced with a defiant, sullen, obstinate 12 yr old whom I love. I want to give this a try and see if it helps us during these times.

We have other reason to suspect some intolerance/inflammation issues. At 12 he and his twin are still in the 0% for weight and barely on for height. There also seems to be quite a bit of gastro distress when he eats things like waffles and bread. Recently I noticed his older sister (ADHD as well) has refused to eat pasta and most breads. She is a runner so I tried to force her for awhile, but you can only force so much and I am choosing to listen to what their bodies are telling them. The other twin is a good eater, but still extremely under weight and suffers extreme constipation issues.

All in all, I am just trying to see if this helps a bit. Whatever tools I can give them in life is a plus in my book ;)

http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/

Tons of recipes on this website & the author has a couple of books as well.  I've tried many of her recipes and enjoyed all of them.  My ds10 went gluten free with minimal dairy last October and it was a big adjustment and at first it was hard on him.  He was upset that his brother didn't have the same restrictions.  What ultimately led him to accept that the GF way of eating was good for him is on a few occasions we let him cheat.  His behavior changed almost instantly when he ate wheat, he had a hard time controlling himself and found he was in trouble a  lot.  He was able to make the connection for himself after this happened a couple of times that the wheat really impacted his behavior.  Thankfully, he is now fully cooperative and will turn down anything offered to him that he can't have.