Menu

o.c. d. and my daughter-

pjssully

Some things that are showing up is that when a page of numbers are presented to her, she gets angry, and says the numbers get all jumbled and twisted around. she can't seem to stay focused when it comes to numbers. She does fine with math story problems and even prefers these to just math facts. Flash cards are a night mare! Doesn't remember even the simplest facts. And she is bothered by the type of paper --if it recycled paper with a slight tint to it, she hates it. She wants it to be white and crisp. One reason she doesn't like saxon is the type of paper they use.

Her reading is awesome--voc. is awesome--her spelling is very weak though. Also, she doesn't like to write-her penmanship is awful and putting sentences on the paper is torture for her. she will write a paragraph about things she want to and does a good job but if it is "school work" she resists and screams. Don't even start me on how she reacted to writing strands.

pam

...says the numbers get all jumbled and twisted around. Doesn't remember even the simplest facts. And she is bothered by the type of paper --if it recycled paper with a slight tint to it, she hates it. She wants it to be white and crisp.

...the issues that you were wondering about being related to OCD?

I mean, I'm not a psychiatrist, but I'm familiar with OCD (I have it)...and I just don't see how the number thing, or not remembering math facts would fit. The type of paper, maybe...but plenty of kids with sensory issues (or even just plain ol' kids, lol) have issues with paper or the writing instrument used (some can't stand the way the pencil drags on paper, etc.).

Did you say she was seven? Some of it could simply be age-related. (Most of my kids have had quirks that ironed out as they matured). But again...I'm not a psychiatrist. Nor do I play one on TV. ;-)

Depending on the severity and duration of the number issue, you might consider looking into having her evaluated for some manner of learning disability.

JMO.

Pam,

Have you considered it might be something such as sensory processing issues?

Some (not all) of the things you describe with math and flashcards and such are some things that might be addressed with sensory stuff. You might consider looking at Dianne Craft's website for some of her strategies.

Also, you might consider letting her be in the "6th grade" again in terms of expectations due to her age. You can call her whatever you need to call her, but age wise you might find it easier on you to think of her as still in elementary years.

Look into having an optometrist due a vision therapy checkup on her too.

I'm no expert or anything. But some of the things you mention might be vision related (not eye exam/glasses) with vision therapy??? worth a tiny mention to check into. Might be the wrong solution.;)

-crystal

I'll have to agree those aren't OCD related tendencies. Usually people who have OCD have obsessive repetitive behaviors for example such as : constantly washing their hands , running a vacuum on the carpet over and over in the same spot. Putting their hat on over and over , clicking the alarm button to make sure that its really on over and over again. They have a very difficult time stopping these behavoirs as well. Ever see the show MONK? This is an example of someone who has OCD.

Usually those with OCD do very well with numbers.

What you describe sounds alot like Dyscalcuia.. which is like dyslexia but with numbers and some sensory issues though. I agree having her vision tested and testing to check for a learning disability maybe in order.

She sounds like one of my daughters, very smart, but her sensory issues are off the chart. Her neurologist identified her around 4 or so, I thought he was not right. Well, he was right and I was wrong. By the way, this daughter has real issues with books that use "weird" paper, it has to be perfectly white paper for her! Oh and the clothing...yikes!..certain blends are great, others drive her nuts, even when I can't tell the difference.

I have another very close family member with OCD, and your kiddo sounds more like a sensory disorder than anything OCD to me. Of course I'm just a mom and have no formal medical training, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :001_smile:

I don't have any suggestions except that I also *hate* the Saxon workbook paper. I hate it so much that I actually photocopy the pages onto regular paper. They charge so much for the materials, you'd think they could use decent paper!

Well, several of the things you describe sound much like my daughter. (And me, to some extent.) DD has mild sensory issues, dyslexia-type symptoms, is VERY visual-spatial, and she does have OCD.

Visual spatial learners struggle with many of the things you mentioned: math facts, spelling, penmanship. They also will often experience comorbid conditions such as sensory integration problems, ADHD, and they are often gifted. The best book I read about this was Upside Down Brilliance by Linda Silverman from The Gifted Development Center. My daughter ended up wanting me to read most of it to her because she was so excited that there was a book that was all about her. :)

My daughter's OCD was mostly sensory-related until she was about 9. That's when she also started with the hand and foot washing, germ concerns, intrusive thoughts, nightmares, and general anxieties/fears. I have no idea what the correlation is between her sensory stuff and her OCD, but you're not necessarily on the wrong path in looking in that direction. Maybe not this year, maybe not ever. But as someone who's walked in your shoes, I know that it's not out of the question.

I pretty much handled things as they came up for several years. A few months ago, things escalated to the point that I realized she needed help beyond what I was able to give her. It took some time, but we found a fantastic doctor, and things are SO much better now. Trust your motherly instincts and stay aware. Good luck!