Menu

if you were bringing home a very sick baby from the hospital this summer...

:grouphug:

I'll keep the kids home in that case.

If you intend to keep sending them to school as a backup option, check for TB test requirements.  My kids have all the required paperwork certified by the school secretary except the required TB test so we are getting that done. 

A factor in this, is your own personality, and how you deal with crisis.

I learned at a very young age, that when bad things happen to stay silent and deal with it on my own. And my whole life it has been reinforced–even now–that if I dare ask for help, I'll be punished.

So beyond the grief you must be feeling, I'd be terrified of just the scheduling. I'd know people would expecting me to be 2 places at the same time. And I wouldn't know how to get help for that. Other people just assume others will help them, and it does happen for THEM. Not for me, though.

I've had to leave a baby alone in an NICU. I couldn't get there.

My children did not receive what other children did. I didn't know how to get it for them.

But turning to the PS for ANYTHING didn't work for ME. It just was more people to juggle, who took far more than they gave, and that I was afraid of.

Knowing my past life, and assuming nothing would change, I'd be going into this situation assuming my baby would be alone in a hospital, far more than I would like. I'd have to wait and see how the staff at THAT hospital felt about that. Some hospitals seem to expect it, and make sure you don't feel guilty. Others will threaten you if you are not the primary caregiver of the baby while it is there, and demand a parent there 24/7.

I know this sounds so awful, but I'd be afraid more than grieving right now. I'd be afraid I was going to be in big trouble, no matter what I did. I'd be afraid for my children, all of them. Not academically, because that could wait. I'm talking about them not being safe, and being afraid, and left with people that were angry at me and them for daring to expect their help. Sometimes people have come to my aid in times of crisis, but just as often they have not, while even some of them have dared to sneer at my best attempts to do it on my own.

I know some moms would just assume that the PS would not require endless reports and expenses and other things like that, and would know how to handle not meeting those expectations even when they were imposed. PS would work for them, because they are not me.

I guess I'd be thinking about how your family/husband and neighbors/church have responded to YOU in past times of trouble. And how you responded to their help or non-help.

I'm SO sorry this is happening to your family. :grouphug: When stuff like this happens, it is often so much more that the crisis itself. It often shakes up any underlying mess, you have been BARELY managing to juggle, and magnifies things you might have been trying to keep in soft-focus. You get a double whammy–the crisis itself, and all the other stuff magnified. I'm just so sorry!