Menu

midlife body shape question

HollyDay

I'll be 52 in less than 2 weeks.  I'm still having a cycle. :glare:  But it is spaced out anywhere from 55 to 100 days apart and varies in awfulness.  I came off estrogen last August and progesterone last November.  My body shape is most certainly changing. 

I rejoined Weight Watchers and have lost just about 5 lbs since restarting.  All this is good news. But, my lower abs are thicker than ever!!  My waist is thicker.  Since losing the 5lbs my shorts and jeans are more comfortable, but not great, still tight in the lower abs and hips.  I weigh what I did when I bought these clothes last year and they fit fine then.   

My activity level is about the same, maybe a bit more.  I've upset my plantar fascia so I'm not able to walk daily anymore.  But, I can bike ride and do pilates dvds.  I also have a couple weight dvds I can do that does not bother my foot.  So, I'm getting  exercise most every day. 

So, is this change in body shape "just" a product of midlife?  Anything else I can do about it??

It's certainly common, but you don't have to live with it. You'll probably need to be more diligent about working out, and you may need to a bit more careful about what you eat. Toning exercises and strength training can make a big difference in your appearance. The cardio is great for your health and for burning calories, but the toning stuff will help you look leaner and tighter.

My mom has always been thin and weighs the same as when she was in high school. However, in her 50's her bodyshape changed to have narrower hips & thighs but a thicker midsection. She had to go up a pants size because of it. She tried a bunch of stuff to try to whittle her waist but nothing worked. So she chalked it up to mid-life hormones.

I think the best explanation I have ever heard was from a doctor that said, "Gravity is not kind after this many years. Stuff moves around and doesn't stay where it belongs."

This was in answer to my friend's question about how, without changing her diet a whit nor adopting any kind of weight training program but increasing her cardio, she could lose 10 lbs. and gain a pant size while her bra size went down a cup.

Apparently, the breast fat migrated to her hips, while she lost someplace else but in an area that did not affect clothing size...SHEESH! Stupid bodies.

I commiserate with you. My body is doing all kinds of weird things. I can't get along with it right now. Pant size went down, shirt got tighter, bra size stayed the same...I don't know. I am about to blame my washer and dryer for some of this mess, LOL!

How long have you been dieting and exercising for?

I have been working on my nutrition and fitness for well over 10 years.  I had gestational diabetes 3 times, so my risk of type 2 is quite a high.  Every once in a while, I'll need to do something like WW to remind me what portions actually look like.  It is frustrating because people tell me to "just give up soda."  But, I haven't had a soda in over 10 years.  "Give up chips and white bread."  Nope, haven't eaten those in years either.  "Stop putting salad dressing on your salads." Nope.  So, basically, my weight issues are hormonal, portion control, and wiser choices. Every year it seems like I've got to cut something out of my diet.  But, I've discovered quinoa this go round with WW, so that is a good addition. 

Exericse has been about the same time period.  It has changed over the years as I've changd.  Some dvds I could easily do 10-15 years ago, I just can't do anymore. Others are more challenging than they were back then.  I've noticed a big difference since stopping the hormones.  My fitness goals now are more flexibility, range of motion, strength, core, balance, and endurance.  I'm not trying to train for a marathon.  I just want to enjoy my activities of daily living with strength, grace, and power.  I want to live a nice long happy life with the ability to do things I need and want to do. 

I'm fighting the good fight too. At 51 my weight is good but it's a struggle. My waist seems disproportionate to my slim top and rear. I'm upping the weights, keeping up my running and am trying a pretty limited diet of fruit, veg, lean meats and very little dairy and nuts. I still cycle regularly (with no end in sight) so I can only imagine this will get harder. I may just invest in caftans and be done.

I commiserate.

I am currently finding out how reactive my body has become to sugar--fruit sugar, bread, whole grains, dairy sugar. (I'm lactose intolerant but can handle yogurt and cheese.)

I've restricted and am now adding back in to see where my body is most comfortable.

I've lost about 7 pounds in the last 4 weeks, not counting calories at all--in fact, having a lot more calories than I would on a "diet" but doing the LCHF stuff--and not doing it really well, either. (Can you say nearly whole pack of bacon? uggg...issue with overeating....)

Most of it came off my middle, some off my face.

I'm leaning (hahaha pun there) towards believing sugar in all its forms leads to tummy fat/increased size.

"Meat, cheese and veggies" seems to be the way I am intended to eat, with fruits and grains as "condiment."

my lower abs are thicker than ever!!  My waist is thicker.  

It's a pain. I'm not looking forward to it either (I'm 46). My body's been changing in the past few years and I really have to fight it. I'm an emotional eater and I love food. It's hard for me to eat less and to avoid certain foods. I do notice a difference when I exercise consistently, but I also realize that I will not get back the body that I had in my 20s and 30s. 

I visit the Video Fitness forums and others there (and here also) have recommended the following for a thickening waistline. 

Focusing on isometric work – holding the abs in

10-Minute Solution: Quick Tummy Trimmers

Barre Workouts

Callanetics

Classical Stretch & Essentrics

Core Cuts – Rob Glick

Start! Walking with Leslie Sansone 3 Mile Walk

Original Jane Fonda Workout

Ellen Barrett – Grace & Gusto

Pilates

Yoga

Dressing right – if you wear a dress, you need a high-waisted, thick belt, or other accessories to create the illusion of a waist