Menu

Kindergarten math help

AimeeM

Nico loves math - and he does very, very well with it. Currently we're using CLE and supplementing with Miquon. I loved CLE for my eldest (and I still love it), but I need to figure out how to work it with my son. He is NOT feeling Miquon. I'm not sure why - he loves the rods, but not Miquon.

First question - his handwriting is on par for his age (maybe even "behind"), not as ahead as his math skills. I was trying to use CLE to help strengthen his writing skills, but it's only holding him back and, frankly, pissing him off (excuse the language). He is far, far, FAR past the first many weeks of lessons in the first CLE book, but I was trying to use them to introduce the cute rhymes they have for number formation - mommy fail. If I were to just have him dictate the answer to me, is it going to bite me in the butt later? He finds writing frustrating, so I'm shelving it entirely for a few months, and we'll work on some coloring, clay work, lacing, etc in the meantime.

Second question - while I plan to stick with it for now, I have the feeling that the spiral CLE is going to grow very old with him, very quickly. What are my other options for kindergarten math (NOT SINGAPORE OR MATH MAMMOTH - for my own sanity, lol). I know - I'm picky and difficult to please)?

I would definitely let him dictate answers to you. I have a friend whose son is now in college, a scientist, and he just could NOT write the answers in the math book until he was 8,9.  But he breezed through the math work.  Shelve the writing.  

FWIW I think Miquon is enough for kindergarten, unless you think he needs more.  

I would definitely let him dictate answers to you. I have a friend whose son is now in college, a scientist, and he just could NOT write the answers in the math book until he was 8,9.  But he breezed through the math work.  Shelve the writing.  

FWIW I think Miquon is enough for kindergarten, unless you think he needs more.  

I think Miquon would be enough, but he doesn't care for it. Maybe it's that I'm having a hard time implementing it?

I had a hard time with Miquon at first, until we caught our rhythm. For us that sometimes meant (means!) skipping pages that were too much review, or doing every other problem. It definitely meant working in a couple places in the book at once for interest's sake, like doing one page in the A thread, then something totally non-math, then something in the B or C thread's... I also found looking at some of the videos on Education Unboxed really helped me get the methodology, and offered some more fun game-approaches to bring alongside the workbooks. We sometimes take a break now from the workbook and just play the games until the concept clicks. Or we take a break from that thread for a few weeks... We love Miquon now - love it.

I started out scribing for her, and kept number writing practice as part of handwriting. Then I started finding excuses for being busy for a minute and asking her to write a few answers while I did it. Then I started switching to I scribe every other problem, then she comes back to do the second half on her own. It's still a work in progress, but she writes a lot more math now :)

Nico loves math - and he does very, very well with it. Currently we're using CLE and supplementing with Miquon. I loved CLE for my eldest (and I still love it), but I need to figure out how to work it with my son. He is NOT feeling Miquon. I'm not sure why - he loves the rods, but not Miquon.

First question - his handwriting is on par for his age (maybe even "behind"), not as ahead as his math skills. I was trying to use CLE to help strengthen his writing skills, but it's only holding him back and, frankly, pissing him off (excuse the language). He is far, far, FAR past the first many weeks of lessons in the first CLE book, but I was trying to use them to introduce the cute rhymes they have for number formation - mommy fail. If I were to just have him dictate the answer to me, is it going to bite me in the butt later? He finds writing frustrating, so I'm shelving it entirely for a few months, and we'll work on some coloring, clay work, lacing, etc in the meantime.

Second question - while I plan to stick with it for now, I have the feeling that the spiral CLE is going to grow very old with him, very quickly. What are my other options for kindergarten math (NOT SINGAPORE OR MATH MAMMOTH - for my own sanity, lol). I know - I'm picky and difficult to please)?

I have my 3rd child working through CLE Grade 1--it does start out super easy!  My oldest started it right after his 4th bday, my 2nd right at 5, and my current will be 5 1/2 next week and we just started CLE Math.

For my oldest esp, doing it at 4, I bought number stamps at Hobby Lobby and let him stamp out the answer.  Orally is probably fine too, but I think there are brain connections made when they both say the answer and physically get it on the paper---

With my 5 1/2 year old now, we are also doing CLE LEarning to Read, and again, too much writing--I had bought letter tiles last year to use with Spelling Power--and he likes to use the tiles to form some of his answers--if I had number tiles, that would be good for math too.  I think you could make some number tiles from index cards or something and let him lay those out instead of writing--

ETA--and I have bought Miquon for each of my kids--and we REALLY didn't like it.  Blech.  As a matter of fact, I have all the books sitting upstairs waiting to be put on AMazon for sale (except the first one).  My boys did the first book, maybe a couple more, then I threw in the towel  Three boys, three times, you'd think I'd learn.  I know some people swear by it, but I gave it the old college try and still haven't figured out the love affair.  It was not a hit for us--

Betsy

I second the Education Unboxed videos.  My 4 year old is dying to do real school, so she participates whenever I do one of those activities.

I definitely think he can tell you the answers orally or give him number cards so he can select the answer.  His handwriting will come around.  I was having my son do xtramath and couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting answers right that he knew.  It turns out finding the numbers on the keyboard was too hard, so now we have him tell us and we type it.  He had a big jump in correct answers and is now progressing at a reasonable rate.

My son is the same way - his math is far ahead of his writing. I started writing all the answers for him and we gradually moved to him writing the answers. Even now at 7, if he tires of writing, I sometimes step into help him, but he is now doing most of the writing. It has as worked great for him. His writing has gradually improved and he is still well ahead in math.

About Miquon---

My oldest finished the program and I'm on my second time through it. We love Miquon here. 

I believe people start too early. Yes, the Orange book *appears* to be simple enough, but really it's best to start Miquon with an older 1st grade student, especially since the Red book can be quite difficult. As far as implementing it...do you (OP) have the Lab Annotations? Also I find it's best to use Miquon with something else, and to use Miquon as the Lab math discovery it was meant to be, work on a few pages (in order) together, and use another program as review (Miquon isn't heavy in review.) I honestly feel that if any page was skipped in Miquon, the efficacy of the program would be lost. Miquon is the only thing I will not tweak. I faithfully do the activities in the Annotations and work the pages out...in order. Miquon doesn't need to done in order of course, but I find that it builds on previous skills. 

Playing with the rods without trying to do the Orange or Red book is best at first. Education Unboxed is great for this. And there are several C-rod activity books as well. 

I would work on a handwriting program as a first priority. HWOT is really great at getting the handwriting skills up to snuff. Practice counting and writing of the numbers...use empty 100 charts, wipe off boards, etc and just practice writing.

I used SM Essential math for kindergarten. I know you said no SM, but I found those two inexpensive workbooks helpful. There's plenty of added activities on the bottom of each page to complete for extra math time.

It's not a favorite curriculum, but I've decided to try Saxon K with my youngest. It has very little to no writing. I read reviews all the time about people not liking it, but I've never tried it, so I'm going to see for myself. 

It may be best to drop Miquon until the child is older, work on handwriting, use a very simple math workbook, and play lots of math games. Maybe check out Pinterest for maths activities. http://www.pinterest.com/walkingiris/homeschooling-math-k-and-up/   Worry about an actual math curriculum in 1st grade.

http://www.shop.montessoriprintshop.com/Math_c39.htm  I use several of these printables. All of them are appropriate for a preschool to ~1st grade student.

The math activities on Starfall are also fun.

I honestly feel that if any page was skipped in Miquon, the efficacy of the program would be lost. Miquon is the only thing I will not tweak. I faithfully do the activities in the Annotations and work the pages out...in order. Miquon doesn't need to done in order of course, but I find that it builds on previous skills.

Though we've had a great Miquon experience feeling free to tweak some, particularly in the early books, I agree that the program really builds on itself. I had to check pages carefully for sneaky, fun challenging problems we wouldn't want to miss! Like woah, they just threw a negative numbers problem in here! I love that stuff where they quickly introduce more advanced topics "early" compared to other programs.

I have the lab annotations, first grade diary, teacher notes, and the orange book.

Does the B kindergarten book (Singapore) get better than the A book? Nico has mastered single digit addition, the concept of single digit subtraction, has long since known his shapes, patterns, etc that the A book was introducing; he counts by 2's, 5's, and 10's (understanding the concept of skip counting), counts very well, etc. I'll admit that the A book turned me off so badly that I didn't consider getting the B book, lol. While he's good at math, I don't think he's that far ahead - so when we had A on hand, it just seemed very behind for a kindergarten program.

I *had* considered the second kinder book, but I haven't heard as many rave reviews about it as I have the grades 1+ singapore books.

About Miquon---

My oldest finished the program and I'm on my second time through it. We love Miquon here. 

I believe people start too early. Yes, the Orange book *appears* to be simple enough, but really it's best to start Miquon with an older 1st grade student, especially since the Red book can be quite difficult. As far as implementing it...do you (OP) have the Lab Annotations? Also I find it's best to use Miquon with something else, and to use Miquon as the Lab math discovery it was meant to be, work on a few pages (in order) together, and use another program as review (Miquon isn't heavy in review.) I honestly feel that if any page was skipped in Miquon, the efficacy of the program would be lost. Miquon is the only thing I will not tweak. I faithfully do the activities in the Annotations and work the pages out...in order. Miquon doesn't need to done in order of course, but I find that it builds on previous skills. 

Playing with the rods without trying to do the Orange or Red book is best at first. Education Unboxed is great for this. And there are several C-rod activity books as well. 

I would work on a handwriting program as a first priority. HWOT is really great at getting the handwriting skills up to snuff. Practice counting and writing of the numbers...use empty 100 charts, wipe off boards, etc and just practice writing.

I used SM Essential math for kindergarten. I know you said no SM, but I found those two inexpensive workbooks helpful. There's plenty of added activities on the bottom of each page to complete for extra math time.

It's not a favorite curriculum, but I've decided to try Saxon K with my youngest. It has very little to no writing. I read reviews all the time about people not liking it, but I've never tried it, so I'm going to see for myself. 

It may be best to drop Miquon until the child is older, work on handwriting, use a very simple math workbook, and play lots of math games. Maybe check out Pinterest for maths activities. http://www.pinterest.com/walkingiris/homeschooling-math-k-and-up/   Worry about an actual math curriculum in 1st grade.

http://www.shop.montessoriprintshop.com/Math_c39.htm  I use several of these printables. All of them are appropriate for a preschool to ~1st grade student.

The math activities on Starfall are also fun.

I've recently started RS A with my mathy DD, and we're just loving it, she asks to do "math school" every day. There's very little writing required (although teaching number formation is part of the lessons, most of the concepts are taught through manipulatives.) It's a bit pricey, but after looking at countless curricula I feel like it's worth the investment, truly one of the best out there for developing a strong foundational understanding. (We're using it with Miquon, and the two compliment each other very well.)

That does look very neat. I just peeked at the site. The placement test puts him in B - but would it be hard to leap to B if he hasn't done A? Are the methods used such that it would be hard coming from a more traditional program?

ETA: I'm pretty sure I've looked at this program before. I'm not sure why I decided against it. Does the cost go down after you buy the manipulative set once?

I've recently started RS A with my mathy DD, and we're just loving it, she asks to do "math school" every day. There's very little writing required (although teaching number formation is part of the lessons, most of the concepts are taught through manipulatives.) It's a bit pricey, but after looking at countless curricula I feel like it's worth the investment, truly one of the best out there for developing a strong foundational understanding. (We're using it with Miquon, and the two compliment each other very well.)

I have the lab annotations, first grade diary, teacher notes, and the orange book.

Does the B kindergarten book (Singapore) get better than the A book? Nico has mastered single digit addition, the concept of single digit subtraction, has long since known his shapes, patterns, etc that the A book was introducing; he counts by 2's, 5's, and 10's (understanding the concept of skip counting), counts very well, etc. I'll admit that the A book turned me off so badly that I didn't consider getting the B book, lol. While he's good at math, I don't think he's that far ahead - so when we had A on hand, it just seemed very behind for a kindergarten program.

I *had* considered the second kinder book, but I haven't heard as many rave reviews about it as I have the grades 1+ singapore books.

I think so. I know what you're saying about the A book. My ds had mastered quite a bit of that as well. I just looked at it as practice in writing the numbers, following directions, review etc. I remember my ds enjoying it, but if I were honest I'd have to admit he did blow right through them. I didn't mind because we do so many math activities that I wasn't too concerned about him doing a workbook at 5. I don't feel it's "behind" for a K book, because I tend towards math in K being more hands on to begin with. 

http://www.rainbowresource.com/pictures/045231/adea94e1d7a4e44b85104185

It may be too easy then. 

Honestly I feel that if you have a child who is doing well at math that you could use a higher "grade" level, but the writing ability isn't there yet, you may be better served doing more hands on math until he matures into a higher level of a math program.

You might like Math on the Level. It's expensive though. Or you may try to find a Math In Focus book used on Amazon. Or try to use some ideas from Pinterest and play lots of games. 

If writing is an issue, maybe try to do one or two pages at most in Miquon. There isn't that many problems on a page. Are you in the Orange book? 

Nothing terrible will happen if you scribe the answers. But honestly, nothing terrible will happen if an answer isn't written down. I would just surround him with plenty of math materials. Bucket balance, base ten blocks, equation balance, bead bars, and so on. I have a bit of an obsession with anything math related that kids can get their hands on.

My ds is capable of writing down his answers, but most of his math is still done orally with various manipulatives. It's fine.

Last year (he isn't quite 5 yet) I just worked through most of the math section, using hands on activities, in the What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know book. If it weren't for that he's a workbook loving kid, I wouldn't bother with a workbook at this age, frankly. Of course, if I'm honest here, I'm a bit terrified by kindergarten in general (box checker!), and feel like I need a bit of a guide.

I'm tempted to go all rogue (*chuckle*) and just buy the What Your First Grader Needs to Know as a guide, and do the same as we did last year - if I can pry the CLE books from his hands (although he loves them, I really feel like the spiral is going to drive him up the wall very, very soon) <---- but I'm chicken to toss the actual curriculum :P

Other than rods, what are some of your favorite manipulatives? We have rods, disc counters, and I think that's it. We used various things around the house, a la WYKNtK, last year - shoes to teach pairs and, subsequently, counting by 2's; finger painted hands on poster board to teach grouping of 5's, and subsequently counting by 5's, etc... but I'd love to have more manipulatives on hand. Oh, and some living math literature. And games. Any recommendations? If I bought a crap load of games and manipulatives, I wouldn't feel so bad about tossing CLE :P

I think so. I know what you're saying about the A book. My ds had mastered quite a bit of that as well. I just looked at it as practice in writing the numbers, following directions, review etc. I remember my ds enjoying it, but if I were honest I'd have to admit he did blow right through them. I didn't mind because we do so many math activities that I wasn't too concerned about him doing a workbook at 5. I don't feel it's "behind" for a K book, because I tend towards math in K being more hands on to begin with. 

http://www.rainbowresource.com/pictures/045231/adea94e1d7a4e44b85104185

It may be too easy then. 

Honestly I feel that if you have a child who is doing well at math that you could use a higher "grade" level, but the writing ability isn't there yet, you may be better served doing more hands on math until he matures into a higher level of a math program.

You might like Math on the Level. It's expensive though. Or you may try to find a Math In Focus book used on Amazon. Or try to use some ideas from Pinterest and play lots of games. 

If writing is an issue, maybe try to do one or two pages at most in Miquon. There isn't that many problems on a page. Are you in the Orange book? 

Nothing terrible will happen if you scribe the answers. But honestly, nothing terrible will happen if an answer isn't written down. I would just surround him with plenty of math materials. Bucket balance, base ten blocks, equation balance, bead bars, and so on. I have a bit of an obsession with anything math related that kids can get their hands on.

My ds is capable of writing down his answers, but most of his math is still done orally with various manipulatives. It's fine.

Try the education unboxed videos! We didn't start Miquon until first grade (6 years old) and I found it to be right on-target...earlier for us would have been harder. The First Grade Diary may also be a help to you, if you don't already have it! I found it really useful, especially at the beginning.

That does look very neat. I just peeked at the site. The placement test puts him in B - but would it be hard to leap to B if he hasn't done A? Are the methods used such that it would be hard coming from a more traditional program?

ETA: I'm pretty sure I've looked at this program before. I'm not sure why I decided against it. Does the cost go down after you buy the manipulative set once?

B includes several lessons in the beginning that are review of A, and can be used for kids who are new to RS. I don't think it would be difficult to transition at all, he'd just have to get used to using the Alabacus to do equations, without counting. And yes, after you buy the manipulatives and games all you'd need to buy are the books for each level. (I found all the manipulatives as off-name brands for much cheaper through RR, I got everything including manuals and a used set of game cards/game manual for around $125. If you went with the 1st edition you could save even more.)

Last year (he isn't quite 5 yet) I just worked through most of the math section, using hands on activities, in the What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know book. If it weren't for that he's a workbook loving kid, I wouldn't bother with a workbook at this age, frankly. Of course, if I'm honest here, I'm a bit terrified by kindergarten in general (box checker!), and feel like I need a bit of a guide.

I'm tempted to go all rogue (*chuckle*) and just buy the What Your First Grader Needs to Know as a guide, and do the same as we did last year - if I can pry the CLE books from his hands (although he loves them, I really feel like the spiral is going to drive him up the wall very, very soon) <---- but I'm chicken to toss the actual curriculum :p

Other than rods, what are some of your favorite manipulatives? We have rods, disc counters, and I think that's it. We used various things around the house, a la WYKNtK, last year - shoes to teach pairs and, subsequently, counting by 2's; finger painted hands on poster board to teach grouping of 5's, and subsequently counting by 5's, etc... but I'd love to have more manipulatives on hand. Oh, and some living math literature. And games. Any recommendations? If I bought a crap load of games and manipulatives, I wouldn't feel so bad about tossing CLE :p

Anna's Mom mentions Right Start. I don't use the curriculum, but I do like the Games Cards books. http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/025802/e2710e9919a6f84c934556f4  You can buy a kit with all the cards and a few other manipulatives added. I like this book, and our use of it ebbs and flows. But they are helpful.

Base ten blocks, unifix cubes, any kind of Montessori math material (you can make your own), equation balance http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/047865/e2710e9919a6f84c934556f4 an abacus, the rods, pattern and attribute blocks, and so on. It could just be me, but I love to have math material around. We've used anything from poker chips to Legos and handmade items. Rulers, tape measures, yard sticks, protractors etc are all things I keep in our "math" tub.

http://livingmath.net/  This is a great resource as well for math. You may also look into activity books such as Family Math, Kitchen Table Math, Peggy Kaye etc. Maybe if you can keep your child's interest in math strong doing math in this way, it bides you time to really research curriculum choices for when he's older. Nothing wrong with the math in the NTK books either.

What exactly do you not like about Math Mammoth? I use it along with Miquon and my 1st grader is doing well.