Menu

Do you have to pay if you put out extra garbage?

Sun

Are you charged for extra garbage? (Beyond one small can per week)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Are you charged for extra garbage? (Beyond one small can per week)

• Yes. Extra charge per extra bag or item, including furniture. Large charge ($20+) for large items.
    • Yes, per extra bag or item, but not a large charge for large items.
    • Yes, one extra charge for multiple extra bags or items.
    • No. We can put anything and everything out, and they'll take it away without charging extra.
    • Our garbage is collected, but we don't even get charged for garbage on a monthly bill.
    • We live rurally or don't have garbage pick up.
  2. 2. How much is your monthly cost for a 32-gallon (about 2.5' high and not quite 2' in diameter) can of garbage?

• More than $30
    • $25-$30
    • More than $20-$24.99
    • $15-$19.99
    • $10-$14.99
    • Under $10
    • It's free for us.
    • We don't have garbage service.
    • Our garbage is billed with property tax, and the garbage charge is more than $300 per year.
    • Our garbage is billed with property tax, and the charge is $200-$300 per year.
    • Our garbage is billed with property tax, and the charge is $100-$200 per year.
    • Our garbage is billed with property tax, and the charge is under $100 per year
    • Our garbage is billed with property tax, and it's for an unlimited amount of garbage.
    • Our garbage is billed separately from tax, but we're allowed an unlimited amount of garbage.
    • Other

I can't vote - if we put more rubbish out than our wheelie bin they just leave it (i.e. they only empty the bin).  Our rubbish is fortnightly, and so is recycling collection (alternate weeks) with food waste collected every week.

In the UK the cost is part of our property taxes (Council Tax), so we don't pay for it separately.

I live in a rural town. We pay $9 per month for weekly pick up. They will take bagged items with no limit. They have large trash pick up once a month included in the fee. Not sure exactly what they won't take in that. You provide the can. Recycling is done separately and must be in a bin you buy from the city. Or you can do like me and take that to recycling station in town for free. 

I looked up our city's garbage rates, and you can get 65 and 95 gallon cans here too. The 95 gallon ones are almost $100 per month! We don't have a can anywhere near that size--ours is about 20 gallons.

Our recycling pick-ups are free, and we pay a smaller amount for yard waste (including food collection). I recently called to get a second recycling bin because our first was always full, and they delivered this ENORMOUS rolling can. I think it must be the 95 gallon size because it makes our old recycling cart look small--and I used to think that one was huge!

Wow...we really pay very little compared to many of you.

DH and I were trying to picture a 55 gallon drum to determine our tote's volume...didn't help, bc we still disagree. He thinks 95 and I think 65.

I can't answer as to how much we pay because we rent, so I don't see the tax bill. However, we have three cans-one for trash, one for recycling and one for green waste (leaves, grass clippings, etc). Trash gets picked up once a week. Recycling and green waste get picked up every other week (they rotate). We can't put out anything extra. If we have anything large or extra, then we have to take it to the dump ourselves, but it is free to do so.

Our garbage is billed with through our village and that bill includes sewer charges.  I believe we pay about $16 monthly (for just garbage).  We can put out as much as we'd like for garbage, yard waste and recycling.  We are limited to one large item per week.

We are issued 1 huge rolling trash can (or more if you request them or have way to much garbage every week they will just come drop another in front of your house).  

If your can overflows and you sit the bags neatly they will dump your can then put all your bags in the can and dump it again.  (has the claw thing grabs can and dumps in top of truck)

Big items - furniture, tv, junk etc. a different truck will come by at some point and pick all of it up.  They have a route and just drive by so your stuff might be picked up tomorrow or 1 day next week. '

Same thing with tree limbs/stick.  Make a pile and the claw truck will drive by and pick them up.  

In the fall and sometime early early spring the leaf vacuum truck will come by and suck up leave you have piled on the curb...not on the road but on the very edge.

All of this is for the set price of $20 a month and it is automatically added to your water bill. Trash (can) pick up is once a week.

Alot of times I have put stuff out and it will be gone an hour later.  People drive around looking for junk.  One man's junk is another man's treasure.