Menu

Laura and Rose

SadieMarie

I ran across this and thought there might be some interest.  I wish that the books had not been represented as being quite so factual.  I am also a little disappointed every time I come across information that they were not.  I like to think of them as true, or at least mostly true, or maybe just truer than they are.  

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2014/04/21/rose_wilder_lane_laura_ingalls_wilder_a_letter_from_their_editorial_collaboration.html

We all do, but we also have the opportunity to present them to our children as the brilliant storytelling that they are.

:grouphug:

Rose reminds me more and more of my Journalism major dd--or maybe dd reminds me more and more of Rose. ;)

It was a great thread!  I've had an obsession with LIW for a long time. I don't remember reading that Slate article, though. Thanks!

eta - I just finished reading the article and shoot! I wish LIW would have written out for adults the REAL story of what happened that summer.

Cousin Charley of yellowjacket infamy tries to kiss Laura? and she fends him off with a knife?! The aunts and uncles stealing? and did I read it correctly that Laura's family lived within easy walking distance of their cousins and didn't visit them. Hmmm, between the stealing and the pushy Charley I can certainly understand why. Fascinating stuff!

I liked the part how Rose mentions that the 12 year olds of that day were much less mature than she was at that age and even less so than Laura and how they were trying to keep them children much longer "now days"

Oh, I liked that too...she'd probably consider 12 year olds now to be nothing more than mere embryos! LOL