Menu

Crockpot Advice

mom31257

I bought a new, big (7 qt) crock pot last year. It runs very high heat and has burned some things, such as a split pea, ham soup and a breakfast casserole. I would love to do a roast for tomorrow, but I'm afraid it's going to burn it or over cook it. Should I just do low heat for a shorter time? Any suggestions? 

I usually don't like my crockpot for similar reasons. A baked ziti dish will burn after just 2 hours on high! I think for your purposes, you may need to set it on low with a timer to go off after a shorter time.

It doesn't have a timer. I could put it in later because we don't leave for church until a little after 9. Putting it in at 9 would only be 4 hours on low. I could do 8 and have 5 hours. What do you think? 

I'm another that is thoroughly frustrated with my crockpot. I can do a great roast, but other than that, it's worthless. I mean, if I'm cooking something for 2 hours, I might as well do it in the oven, on the stove, or on the bbq. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a "slow" cooker, doesn't it?

I'm another that is thoroughly frustrated with my crockpot. I can do a great roast, but other than that, it's worthless. I mean, if I'm cooking something for 2 hours, I might as well do it in the oven, on the stove, or on the bbq. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a "slow" cooker, doesn't it?

Yep. So frustrating. The crockpot is a cranky beast.

Okay, it's a boneless chuck shoulder roast. I'm hoping to have this for lunch when we get home from church. There wasn't a chart in the preview of the book. If you have time to look it up, Elizabeth, I would greatly appreciate it! 

Yup, 9-10 hours on low OR 6-7 hours on high.

It might be too late, but I cook chuck roasts in a dutch oven on the stove. Brown both sides w/oil, salt, pepper, fresh grated garlic, add broth or whatever liquid to cover and spices you prefer, onions, cook for 4 or more hours. I put carrots and potatoes in near the end. This is good at 4 hours, or 8..... Once it is boiling, put to low, leave lid on, just check occasionally to make sure there is enough liquid. I have left mine for two hours and its still had liquid when I returned.

I thought I'd let you all know it turned out well. I filled it very full as Zoobie said. I cooked it on low until we got home, about 5.5 hours. It seemed like it wasn't quite tender enough, so I turned it to high until I had the rest of the food ready. It was perfect.

My low must be closer to high.

Thanks!

I wondered how it had turned out!  Well times are basically doubled between them, so an extra hour on high would be like 2 hours on low.  That would have put you at 7.5 on low, which together with varying sizes of roasts and preferences for deadness (I like my meat very dead) would probably make sense.  

You might like to see if your library has that Cook's Illustrated Slow Cooker cookbook (volume 2).  It has been awesome for me and a fun way to try new techniques.