Menu

What to use after Phonics Pathways?

LAmom

Switch from phonics to a good phonetic spelling program. Spelling Workout, Rod and Staff Spelling, All About Spelling, etc. There are many spelling programs to look into. Another alternative is to work through Phonics Pathways again focusing on spelling the words rather than reading. :001_smile:

We moved on to McGuffey Readers.  If you've finished all of Phonics Pathways, or even most of it, you may find you can go right into the second reader.  You can get them for free for kindle, or buy the set.  Each story is a page or so long, and we read one per day, only repeating if there were lots of stumbles.  We are just finishing up the second reader, and they have made a big difference in fluency, vocabulary, etc.   

I second Pathway readers.  DD is not ready for Elson readers yet, which is my first go-to after Phonics Pathways.  However, I am doing Explode the Code with the readers without the workbooks at present.  Alternatively, I would have to agree with a poster above, Reading Pathways or phonetice focused spelling. Oh, something like, Websters, LOL  (OK, it is my favorite.) 

Pathway:  We love the easy going stories.  There are workbooks for them too.  I would have used the workbooks if not for how well dd loves the Explode the Code books.  They focus on the phonics and words, as well as comprehension. I am using these until such time she becomes more independent with her reading.  :)  They are a great size too.