Menu

If someone said you had cow eyes

fairfarmhand

If someone said you have cow eyes, would you take it as a compliment?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good thing to have cow eyes?

Cow eyes are lovely. Dark brown, framed by the most gorgeous lashes you've ever seen. I remarked to my dd about a family of girls who all have dark eyes surrounded by thick, dark, long lashes that they all had cow eyes and my dd looked at me oddly.

Cow eyes are not stupid. Maybe a little sad or soulful. I've never seen cows with blue eyes. They are dark. We have cows and I see their pretty eyes every day. We only have a couple cows with crazy eyes!

Eye1.jpg

If they owned Simmental or Charolais I would probably wonder if it was meant as an insult. If they had a Jersey or even most other dairy breeds, I'd take it as a compliment. Even Angus have nice eyes. I think Jersey's have the most gorgeous big soft eyes.

I would have to know the person to know how to take it, otherwise I would just shrug it off and not think anything of it.

Cow eyes are NOT vacant. They are lovely and expressive. Anyone that says they are vacant hasn't spent much time around cows. They aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they aren't devoid of emotion and expression.

My father said this to my mother, as a compliment, because they were very large and dark brown. It was a bit of a joke between them. He certainly wasn't calling her stupid.

Growing up I was told I had cow eyes all the time.  I have big, brown eyes.  I lived in a rural area and many people lived on dairy farms.  My dh still says I have cow eyes.  I've never heard the stupid connotation until now.  Now I'll have to ask if he's really calling me stupid.... :001_smile:

Growing up I was told I had cow eyes all the time. I have big, brown eyes. I lived in a rural area and many people lived on dairy farms. My dh still says I have cow eyes. I've never heard the stupid connotation until now. Now I'll have to ask if he's really calling me stupid.... :001_smile:

I think for those of us familiar with the compliment (and cows) there's no stupid connotation. I think the people who are feeling that are also the ones who may never have heard it before and are sorting out out for the first time.

If they owned Simmental or Charolais I would probably wonder if it was meant as an insult. If they had a Jersey or even most other dairy breeds, I'd take it as a compliment. Even Angus have nice eyes. I think Jersey's have the most gorgeous big soft eyes.

I would have to know the person to know how to take it, otherwise I would just shrug it off and not think anything of it.

Cow eyes are NOT vacant. They are lovely and expressive. Anyone that says they are vacant hasn't spent much time around cows. They aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they aren't devoid of emotion and expression.

I think Jerseys are prettier then deer. They're extraordinary. If we ever get a milk cow she'll be a Jersey.

And their milk makes the best ice cream.  Very high fat content--yum!  I always said if we got a cow, she would be a Jersey.

psst...I have one. She's not the nicest cow, but she's okay. 

Her milk should be creamier. However, she holds up the good milk for her calves. The stuff I milk out is decent, but she saves the cream for the babies.

My favorite Jersey died a couple weeks back. :(

I think Jerseys are prettier then deer. They're extraordinary. If we ever get a milk cow she'll be a Jersey.

I grew up with Jersey's and a Brown Swiss. The Brown Swiss had those big, dark eyes with long lashes too. She was very similar to the Jerseys in a lot of ways and even gave a good amount of cream. I am pretty partial to both those breeds. Their down side seems to be how prone they are to milk fever.

I never really thought of my Holstein pet as pretty. Not beside the Jerseys and Swiss. She wasn't ugly though, just big and clunky in comparison. But what my Annie lacked in grace she made up for in character. Funnest cow I ever had.

I've heard this comment a lot since "cow eyes" run in my family. It's absolutely positive and I'm suprised their are people who haven't come across it before. It's a very common saying in Australia. I tell my DS4 he has cow eyes all the time and if someone said it to me I'd be flattered.

I am suprised someone mentioned it for blue eyes though.....here it is for brown eyed people only.

Definitely a regional thing.  I, personally, would assume it was a compliment.  But in some areas it may no longer have a positive connotation.  And apparently in many areas this phrase is just not used so would probably be taken as an insult or not understood at all I guess.  I have not heard it used in a while, but it was always meant as a compliment growing up.  As others have posted, it usually meant you had big, beautiful, expressive, soulful eyes.  I owned a cow named Chili.  Her eyes were gorgeous.  And she always seemed so aware and intelligent when she looked at me with those eyes.  I would have loved it if someone had said I had cow eyes... :)

Cow eyes are very beautiful.  I was icked-out to have to dissect such a pretty thing in 6th grade science.

ETA, why is everyone saying they're brown?  :confused1:  The ones I dissected were a beautiful variegated blue.  Is it because they were...(ahem) disembodied?  Or were they special blue-eyed cows?  Anyway, they did have gigantic, gorgeous lashes.

My grandfather was a dairy farmer and had Holsteins, guernseys, and jerseys. They all had gorgeous brown eyes.