Menu

Just an idea for multiple kidlets

I wish someone would have told me to look forward to this day!

My older kids have an assignment each day to read aloud to their younger siblings, and it works! It is something everyone enjoys because the kids get to pick what to read and it is easier than their other school work.

No major revelations, just sharing what works for us.

I LOVE this too! My 6 yo is just getting to the point of being able to do this. I have been having him pick some of the super simple readers specifically to read to dd3. He likes picking out things she will like, it gives him a sense of accomplishment that he can sit down and read something and she loves the attention! The last time we came home from the library, they ran off together to read as soon as we walked in the door! It was bliss!

That's about the only reason my rising 1st and 4th can be combined for a geography year starting this fall. I will be deeply involved in the process, but there are three older students that need me too. The 4th grader thrives on teaching others, and the 1st grader doesn't mind who reads to her as long as it's a good story. In the scouting world we call that "using your available resources."

I remember someone on here mentioning in passing that they had an older child who used to put the younger down for a nap by reading a book.  It was a major lightbulb moment for me!  LOL.  "What?  You mean it doesn't have to always be ME???"

The only problem is that I like my naptime routine with toddler, so I will probably just do as you suggest and have older kiddo keep her busy during dd5's school time.  :-D  Love your idea!