Menu

Ebola outbreak?? Has anyone seen this?

I.Dup.

I hadn't seen anything about this specific outbreak.  Ebola simultaneously fascinates and terrifies me.  There are outbreaks pretty regularly, but generally very few people are infected.  This particular outbreak has a very high fatality rate.  That is super scary.

I recently read The Hot Zone... so it's been on my mind. 

When I saw the news story my stomach hurt. Scary, scary stuff. 

What a horrible outbreak. It just sickened me to see the technicians in the link working without protection other than a pair of gloves. OMG!

I love Richard Preston's books. Besides The Hot Zone, he has one on smallpox and also a fiction book, The Cobra Event. One point he makes in The Hot Zone is that a lot of the hemorrhagic fevers are so deadly that they kill their hosts quickly and thus are not able to spread as widely as, say,influenza. Perhaps this outbreak will run its course relatively fast and the virus will go dormant again.

9/11/2014 deleted photo as per SWB request

I recently read The Hot Zone... so it's been on my mind. 

When I saw the news story my stomach hurt. Scary, scary stuff. 

Um, yeah.  I just finished this book a couple of days ago.  Viruses are so freaky.  Ones like Ebola are very scary!

I did some searches trying to find original news articles of the Reston scare and found some articles in the last few years about outbreaks in Uganda and Sudan, even another Ebola Reston outbreak at a monkey house in Texas in 1996.  I don't ever remember hearing about those but I think I will be hypersensitive to hearing about it now!

What a horrible outbreak. It just sickened me to see the technicians in the link working without protection other than a pair of gloves. OMG!

I love Richard Preston's books. Besides The Hot Zone, he has one on smallpox and also a fiction book, The Cobra Event. One point he makes in The Hot Zone is that a lot of the hemorrhagic fevers are so deadly that they kill their hosts quickly and thus are not able to spread as widely as, say,influenza. Perhaps this outbreak will run its course relatively fast and the virus will go dormant again.

That was the only comforting thing in that book!  It was interesting that the strain that was spread through the air was very weak in affecting people.  If one of the more deadlier strains did become airborne, .... I hate to even think about it!

Ebola is scary.

Researchers have developed a treatment, but they are not certain it will work in humans. IIRC, they will be moving to use it on humans soon.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/antibody-treatment-found-to-halt-deadly-ebola-virus-in-primates/

MB-003 treatment developed by USAMRIID. Not 100% but it's a start.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/health/diseases/article_9f7a0fd2-560e-574b-8e20-9fec879f3b2c.html 

http://www.usamriid.army.mil/press_releases/Pettitt%20Release%20Aug%202013.pdf

uganda_ebola_virus_ebo002_30173005.jpg?i

My library has The Cobra Event, I'm going to pick it up today!

I just finished One Second After (about EMPs), these books are new to me and I'm really enjoying them. My husband is going to wonder what my deal is tonight when he sees my new book. 

ETA: I agree, seeing the medical workers with just gloves is a scary sight.

What a horrible way to go. 

There was an outbreak in northern Uganda not long after I was there and I think also about 9 or so months ago in eastern Uganda (near DRC)... they were able to get it contained fairly easily from my understanding... that is, once people recognized what was taking place. 

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/nov/15/uganda-hit-new-ebola-outbreak