Menu

Great weekend in the Highlands

Laura Corin

We rented a cheap cottage last minute to stay in the Highlands.  Husband and Hobbes went up after school on Friday; Calvin and I drove up after choir rehearsal on Friday night.  The weather was glorious - blue skies with snow flurries.  We all walked together, but the boys also did big solo hikes - Calvin waded through the snow on these high passes and Hobbes found his way across the trackless moors between Kirkmichael and Lair.  The rest of the time we read and played cards - no screens.

Husband drove them straight to school this morning, whilst I went to work - only an hour from our weekend cottage to the office.

L

We rented a cheap cottage last minute to stay in the Highlands.  Husband and Hobbes went up after school on Friday; Calvin and I drove up after choir rehearsal on Friday night.  The weather was glorious - blue skies with snow flurries.  We all walked together, but the boys also did big solo hikes - Calvin waded through the snow on these high passes and Hobbes found his way across the trackless moors between Kirkmichael and Lair.  The rest of the time we read and played cards - no screens.

Husband drove them straight to school this morning, whilst I went to work - only an hour from our weekend cottage to the office.

L

Aaaahhhhh....

Our daughter is at Edinburgh, and we DEFINITELY have to work out a Highlands trip over the next 3.5 years.   

Did you book the cottage directly, or through an agency?  If we only get to go once (lucky you!), for maybe a week, what towns would you point us to?

Dreaming, now...

Aaaahhhhh....

Our daughter is at Edinburgh, and we DEFINITELY have to work out a Highlands trip over the next 3.5 years.   

Did you book the cottage directly, or through an agency?  If we only get to go once (lucky you!), for maybe a week, what towns would you point us to?

Dreaming, now...

Pitlochry makes a good base.  It's quite touristy (it reminded me of Estes Park, CO) but it has great access to the Highlands.  Any of the small villages around there would be fine, I'm sure.  Pitlochry also has a theatre in the summer season, and the autumn colour around there is pretty too.

Try to avoid July and August, which is the height of the midge season.  

I booked through Cottages4U.co.uk.  This is my second time using them, and it's worked fine.  

L

I had so much fun in Pitlochry several years ago. We were staying down in Kirkintilloch but drove up to Pitlochery for the Highland Games. It was well worth the drive as the games were wonderful/fascinating/entertaining and the town is absolutely charming. I definitely echo Laura's recommendation.

Laura--What gorgeous hikes! Glad your family had some respite together. :)

Pitlochry makes a good base.  It's quite touristy (it reminded me of Estes Park, CO) but it has great access to the Highlands.  Any of the small villages around there would be fine, I'm sure.  Pitlochry also has a theatre in the summer season, and the autumn colour around there is pretty too.

Try to avoid July and August, which is the height of the midge season.  

I booked through Cottages4U.co.uk.  This is my second time using them, and it's worked fine.  

L

Sadly, I'm afraid August is the most-likely window for everyone else's schedules to align, so we'll have to fend off the midges.  On the plus side, though, by next fall my daughter will have what she (insufferably, given that she is American) insists on calling a "flat" in Edinburgh, so we'll be able to tack a bit of Fringe Festival on as well   :hurray: .  She and I were there for Fringe a few years ago and had a blast, and I understand it's only gotten better since then.

I had so much fun in Pitlochry several years ago. We were staying down in Kirkintilloch but drove up to Pitlochery for the Highland Games. It was well worth the drive as the games were wonderful/fascinating/entertaining and the town is absolutely charming. I definitely echo Laura's recommendation.

Laura--What gorgeous hikes! Glad your family had some respite together. :)

OK, you ladies are inspiring me.  Base camp in Pitiochry... not this summer, but maybe Midge Season 2015...

Thanks!