Menu

Like IEW, but NOT IEW

Hakg

I have this year (very reluctantly) reverted back to using IEW with DS9 (units 1 and 2).  DS and I had agreed, after using it for a short while a year or so ago, that I wouldn't torture him with IEW again, yet here I am torturing away!

There are a few things we both dislike - DVD instruction, forced dressups, and the checklists. 

DS doesn't mind doing the KWO and I think outlining is important to learn.  With the KWO, once DS has completed a KWO and written his draft, he feels (as do I) that it is good enough without having to add the dressups.  Once the dressups are added (here is where the torture starts), the text then sounds grammatically silly and we both feel as if a good piece of writing has been ruined.

I do see the potential benefits of IEW (further into the units), and I like how it covers different types of writing, but am wondering if there is something similar that isn't so forced, where dressups etc are taught, but not required if not necessary.  I would also prefer workbooks over DVD.

DS9 is a 'get to the point' kind of kid, he isn't too interested in creative writing, we tried W&R1 but he didn't care much for re-creating fables.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Why not just ask for the dressup being taught that lesson, and let the rest of it go? If you get the IEW big picture, you could skip the DVD and go to theme-based lessons (workbooks).

. Totally agree. Just don't require all the dress ups. Teach them and let him choose when to use them. Have him underline or mark the ones he does use. And I think a theme based one is way easier to use and modify than the DVD.

Why not just ask for the dressup being taught that lesson, and let the rest of it go? If you get the IEW big picture, you could skip the DVD and go to theme-based lessons (workbooks).

I could, I guess, but the dressups are what DS dislikes the most, its what makes his already okay re-write sound all wrong.  I'd like to do away with the dressups altogether but I think this is one of the main points of the program?

Check out writing tales. It is a really great program that has an IEW flare, but less forced. It's been a hit with all my kids.

We tried this a couple of years ago, from memory the issue was the re-writes. He has asked to go back to WWE, but has already completed 1-3 and I think he needs to move on.

Two thoughts:

1.  If he wants to continue with WWE, why not let him?  He'd finish WWE4 then go on to WWS - which can be done at speed or slower.  DD11 is in 5th and started WWS this spring.  We are taking it slowly ( 2 weeks for 1), but her writing has bloomed.  We tried CAP's fables (too repetitive - she got bored), and IEW was a total bomb with her.  Her KWO's were okay, but her rewrite from the KWO was always convoluted and awkward.  And the dress-ups were forced.  Writing is still not her favorite subject, but it's the difference between day and night in her writing with WWS

You could also do away with the WWE4 text and just continue narrations and dictations across the curriculum, though you may prefer the open-and-go nature of the workbook (I certainly do!)

2.  If you really want to step away from WWE, maybe try Paragraph Writing Made Easy.  It's similar to WWS, but at an easier level - outlining and paragraph-writing.  It's only $1 at the Scholastic sale right now - and if you click on the picture, you can see inside the entire book to see whether it looks like it'd work for you or not.

Hope you find something that works for you both!

He could continue on with WWE4, he would like to anyway.  I just feel we need to add a little extra into the mix, something different, maybe some mechanics, different styles of writing. WWS is the goal for grade 5 or 6 (we are not in the US and DS has only started grade 4 this calendar year).

I have thought about dropping writing as a curriculum and continuing on with narrations and dictations for other subjects, but part of me feels like I should be doing more with writing instruction.

I'm off to check out Paragraph Writing Made Easy.  Thanks!

If there are other suggestions too, I'm all ears :)

I could, I guess, but the dressups are what DS dislikes the most, its what makes his already okay re-write sound all wrong.  I'd like to do away with the dressups altogether but I think this is one of the main points of the program?

Yes, do away with all but the *one* you are working on. Adding *one* strong verb, for example, shouldn't make things too awkward. Next lesson, don't worry about the strong verb, just make sure you have one sentence beginning with an adverb, etc.

Or pitch it and move on to something else. :-)

If you use the workbooks with IEW, they are easier to customize to what you want. Just pick and choose. Cross out requirements, etc.

Thanks, I recently purchased 2 work books, ATFF and the Fables and Fairy Tales one (not even sure why I purchased this one as DS is so over Fables).  Either way, the books have not even arrived, and I am pretty sure we are going to toss IEW.  What to use now is the big question!!

Just curious, you mention going back after he wrote his paper and adding in the dress ups. I agree that would make an already written paper sound funny. However, that was not how he taught it. Once you have the kwo, you test it out orally, looking over the list of dress ups and adding them in at that oral stage. Then you write it down. They are not meant to be added after the fact, so I'm wondering if part of his problem with them is stemming from that.

Just curious, you mention going back after he wrote his paper and adding in the dress ups. I agree that would make an already written paper sound funny. However, that was not how he taught it. Once you have the kwo, you test it out orally, looking over the list of dress ups and adding them in at that oral stage. Then you write it down. They are not meant to be added after the fact, so I'm wondering if part of his problem with them is stemming from that.

We have tried it both ways, DS just preferred to add the dressup in at the 'draft' stage.  I wondered about this also, but somewhere on the TWSS or the SWI it mentioned that it was okay to put the dressups in after.

Take a look at Essentials in Writing by Matthew Stephens. Short video segments, teaches a variety of types of essays and teaches how to use various literary devices but doesn't have a required list. It's worked well here.

Yes I am looking at this at the moment.  I am wanting to veer away from DVD instruction but I like the different types of writing taught with this program.  DS has begged to go back to WWE, so we will, but I'd like to use something like this alongside it. 

One thing that bugged me a little when watching the sample DVD for EIW was how the teacher tripped over his own words all the time, I found that confusing and wondered whether it would confuse DS. Do you find this to be a problem at all?

Give him what he wants. Motivation is half the battle. Expand on WWE through his other subjects.

I totally agree. At 9 I don't want him crying about writing.  I feel he needs a little more explicit instruction about sentence structure/organisation of thoughts though.  While in WWE he will give excellent narrations because he knows the drill, but when he is asked to write about something more general, he is a bit all over the place with organisation.  I suppose this may just come with practice and maturity (I hope anyway).

Yes I am looking at this at the moment.  I am wanting to veer away from DVD instruction but I like the different types of writing taught with this program.  DS has begged to go back to WWE, so we will, but I'd like to use something like this alongside it. 

One thing that bugged me a little when watching the sample DVD for EIW was how the teacher tripped over his own words all the time, I found that confusing and wondered whether it would confuse DS. Do you find this to be a problem at all?

Hasn't been an issue here, I don't even notice any more. He models the actual writing process--he "thinks" out loud, corrects and changes his work etc... just like you might as you write something. He makes mistakes and changes seem like no big deal.

I'd watch several samples from different levels and see what you think, and choose one for your son to watch. I always like to get my child's reaction to a video or computer lesson (or even a sample book) if I can! After all, they have to watch it, LOL! I like that the segments are usually only 5 minutes or less. I can stop, add to the teaching, tweak, or just use it as is. You aren't listening for very long each time.

My son thought Andrew Pudewa was occasionally funny but often long-winded and just didn't hold his attention very well. So...shorter has worked out much better here!

Merry :-)

Yes I am looking at this at the moment. I am wanting to veer away from DVD instruction but I like the different types of writing taught with this program. DS has begged to go back to WWE, so we will, but I'd like to use something like this alongside it.

One thing that bugged me a little when watching the sample DVD for EIW was how the teacher tripped over his own words all the time, I found that confusing and wondered whether it would confuse DS. Do you find this to be a problem at all?

I bought EIW a couple years ago when it first came out and was not impressed. Now we do like DVD instruction like Steve Demme with MUS and Andrew Pudewa with IEW. But yes, the EIW guy often seemed like it was a rough draft of his DVD. Quite a few mistakes. We never even finished out the year with it.