Menu

We're going to drown in cucumbers! - recipe for REFRIG. pickles?

I have two cuke plants, and as such plants are wont to do, they are reproducing like mice right now. Who has a great recipe for refrigerator pickles with the caveat that I can't tolerate ANY sweetness in my pickles. Half sours and sweets are OFF the list. Dill is really the only thing I love. These are slicing cukes, not pickling, but I'm willing to quarter them or slice them into rounds as needed.

Do all pickle recipes have sugar? It's not really sugar that I'm avoiding, it's the taste of a sweet pickle (blech). But, it's been too long since I've made any pickle (in my case, it would have been dill). I'll have to go look up a recipe and revise my post if needed.

Back later...

Do all pickle recipes have sugar? It's not really sugar that I'm avoiding, it's the taste of a sweet pickle (blech). But, it's been too long since I've made any pickle (in my case, it would have been dill). I'll have to go look up a recipe and revise my post if needed.

Back later...

I've been making loads of bread & butter pickles, so that wouldn't help you. The sweetness is what I like most about pickles! I guess don't really like them any other way.

Sorry I'm no help!

Have you ever had cucumbers & onions in vinegar? We always had that when I was a kid (it's an old recipe that's been around for a long time, in one form or another):

Cucumbers and Onions

1 cucumber, sliced into rounds

1 onion, sliced & separated rings

vinegar & water (3:1 ratio)

Put cucumber and onion into a bowl. Pour in vinegar & water until it covers the cucumbers/onions. Add pepper, if desired. Allow to marinate in refridgerator overnight.

We would always eat them so quickly that we'd just add more sliced cucumbers to the bowl and let it marinate again. I don't usually eat the onions...I suppose they might add flavor to the cucumbers. My dad ate the onions.

I also don't like sweet pickles...only dill for me (and although this doesn't have dill, at least it's not sweet).

There are some recipes out there for cucumbers & onions that add sugar.

Have you ever had cucumbers & onions in vinegar? We always had that when I was a kid (it's an old recipe that's been around for a long time, in one form or another):

Cucumbers and Onions

1 cucumber, sliced into rounds

1 onion, sliced & separated rings

vinegar & water (3:1 ratio)

Put cucumber and onion into a bowl. Pour in vinegar & water until it covers the cucumbers/onions. Add pepper, if desired. Allow to marinate in refridgerator overnight.

We would always eat them so quickly that we'd just add more sliced cucumbers to the bowl and let it marinate again. I don't usually eat the onions...I suppose they might add flavor to the cucumbers. My dad ate the onions.

I also don't like sweet pickles...only dill for me (and although this doesn't have dill, at least it's not sweet).

There are some recipes out there for cucumbers & onions that add sugar.

I do know this recipe, use this recipe, love this recipe. And, believe it or not, I add a sprinkling of sugar almost always, but it doesn't overpower the vinegar, so the end result is not sweet.

I just didn't think about using this for anything semi-long in terms of storage. Will have to Google today. Thanks for the idea.

I ferment mine with garlic, dill, and salt.

What are you, just a tease? ;) I'd like to know more about your fermenting method (well, your pickles, not you) if you're willing to share. Is this, by any chance a lacto-fermentation process?

Yay for your cucumbers!!! I'm glad they are producing well for you.:)

After the awful start I had to our new garden this year, and the pitiful performance I'm seeing from our potatoes, I was beginning to think my green thumbs had gone black. But, the basil, cucumbers, okra (though there's not nearly enough of it!) and even the tomatoes are finally doing well enough that I don't have to hang my head in utter shame! :D

What are you, just a tease? ;) I'd like to know more about your fermenting method (well, your pickles, not you) if you're willing to share. Is this, by any chance a lacto-fermentation process?

You mean you want my to get up from posting to go and find my cookbook.:scared:

It is like a lacto-fermentation process, but I do not use whey. I just use celtic sea salt, my family does not care for the taste of whey.

1 quart jar

fill with sliced or speared cucumbers (or whole if they are small enough)

Fresh dill - just a sprig or two

1 tablespoon of celtic sea salt - a good tablespoon don't be skimpy

1 clove of galic sliced - I added this. We love garlic here.;)

cover with water making sure cucumbers are covered and you have inch of air space left in the jar.

Put lid on jar.

Sit the jar on the counter of 2 to 3 days.

Refrigerate.

I took a class at Whole Foods and he said that if you add an oak or cherry leaf to the jar, the pickles will stay firmer. I have not tried that yet.

I use this recipe.

I make refrigerator pickles with them so I just ignore the canning instructions. The plunging them in ice water first really makes the pickles crisp.

I use kosher salt for the "pickling salt" and it works fine. I always add about 4 peppercorns too.

I don't use "a head of dill" because I have no idea what that is! I put in a few big sprigs of dill.

Sometimes I add a jalapeno or some mustard seeds but the recipe is great without them. :)

You mean you want my to get up from posting to go and find my cookbook.:scared:

It is like a lacto-fermentation process, but I do not use whey. I just use celtic sea salt, my family does not care for the taste of whey.

1 quart jar

fill with sliced or speared cucumbers (or whole if they are small enough)

Fresh dill - just a sprig or two

1 tablespoon of celtic sea salt - a good tablespoon don't be skimpy

1 clove of galic sliced - I added this. We love garlic here.;)

cover with water making sure cucumbers are covered and you have inch of air space left in the jar.

Put lid on jar.

Sit the jar on the counter of 2 to 3 days.

Refrigerate.

I took a class at Whole Foods and he said that if you add an oak or cherry leaf to the jar, the pickles will stay frimmer. I have not tried that yet.

Although, they're not quite lacto-fermented, and not quite pickles really, are they? How do you think they'd do in a bean crock? ...you know... The type that's earthenware -- like this one (except mine has a smaller opening)?

beancrock.jpg

Would you say they end up seeming like pickles or what? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Oh, and I wonder....

Could we come up with *other* uses for this oak or cherry leaf addition? Staying "frimmer" might make a lot of folks really happy. :lol:

Thanks, Gretchen.

Although, they're not quite lacto-fermented, and not quite pickles really, are they? How do you think they'd do in a bean crock? ...you know... The type that's earthenware -- like this one (except mine has a smaller opening)?

beancrock.jpg

Would you say they end up seeming like pickles or what? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Oh, and I wonder....

They are pickles. This is how pickles were made before industrial times. Vinegar was choosen to speed up the process.

I am not sure about the bean crock. I know people do use crocks for this, but I am not sure how. The crock or jar needs to be covered tightly for the process to work. I am not an expert on this. I just started this about a year or two ago.

If you would like to use whey, you could add 4 tablespoons to the crock/jar and cut back the salt to a level tablespoon.

Could we come up with *other* uses for this oak or cherry leaf addition? Staying "frimmer" might make a lot of folks really happy. :lol:

Thanks, Gretchen.

:lol:Oh my.:blushing: I can't believe that I used the words firmer and cucumbers in the same sentence.:blushing::lol:

so sorry, I did not get back to this yesterday! My DD and her family are here..so much going on all the time!

Refridgerator Pickles. This recipe will keep up to 2 months in your fridge..ours are usually gone long before then! they are as nearly as sweet as the Bread and Butter pickles I make.

8cups thinly scliced cucumbers....( peeled or not, I have done both)

1/2 cup white sliced onion ( I use more)

1 green pepper sliced ( I use more)

3 celery stalks sliced ( or 2 Tbls celery seed)

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup white vinegar

2 scant Tbls salt

1/2 - 1 tsp dill weed

Mix all together and let sit at least 12 hours before eating.

Otherwise..for short term, do you do the creamed cucumbers?

Cukes, onions, mayo, sour cream or yogurt, little bit of apple cidar vinegar, salt and pepper

I could eat them every day and I do when I have cukes on hand

re: Cucumbers and Onion recipe:

I just didn't think about using this for anything semi-long in terms of storage. Will have to Google today. Thanks for the idea.

I think the vinegar makes them last a long time in the fridge, but I don't know how long, but according to this other post, they must last about 2 months:

Refridgerator Pickles. This recipe will keep up to 2 months in your fridge..ours are usually gone long before then!

I think we peeled our cucumbers also.

Does anyone have a recipe for mustard pickles? My dad used to make some that you just left out on the counter until they were ready. No refrigeration or canning, although they were done in a canning jar. They were a dill/mustard pickle, not sweet. (I should ask dad!) My parents stopped making pickles after we moved in the summer after 6th grade because the water was different and they couldn't get the pickles to come out right anymore.

Refrigerator Pickles (bread and butter flavor)

16 thinly sliced cucumbers (or thereabouts)

2 cups thinly sliced onions

3 Tablespoons salt (I used kosher salt)

Let stand for at least 3 hours covered in refrigerator.

Drain well.

Part II

2 cups white vinegar

3 3/4 cups sugar

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp celery seed

1/4 tsp alum

Mix together in a separate bowl and then add to drained pickles. Refrigerate.

You can eat them right away, but for the full effect I would leave them at least 24 hours.