Menu

Happy St. Patrick's Day! What do you to celebrate?

Sherri in MI

We usually have a corned beef and cabbage dinner & play Irish music.  I put decorations up. Usually just the 3 of us, sometimes we invite friends.

This year for the first time, it's just my son & I.  Dh isn't home.  I didn't make plans in advance (we've been sick) & I'm not sure what to do.  It's a little late to make a dinner.  Maybe we'll go out, but not sure where.  I'm low on cash.

We are having our neighbors over for the typical corned beef, cabbage and potatoes dinner. We decorated, made homemade soda bread and a few desserts. We also have Irish music going, but that's not unusual here. We will probably watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People later. I love that movie!! It's also our dog's birthday, so he has a special bone that we will put peanut butter on so that a candle will stick and we can sing happy b-day to him. He will have a seat at the table for that. We are dorks, lol.

The Irish stew is simmering, Pandora is set at Irish traditional radio, and I'll whip up some soda bread in a bit. :) This morning, we enjoyed reading Tomie dePaola's Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland during Circle Time.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People looks fun. I watched a bunch of those old Disney movies as a kid (Kidnapped, Swiss Family Robinson, etc.), but don't remember that one.

For breakfast, we had Lucky Charms and green soy milk.  We made green shamrock-shaped sugar cookies last night for today.  (Usually we do green rice krispy treats, but my dd is in braces this year and feels they would be too sticky.)  We are having Reuben Dip made with corned beef and sauerkraut today for dinner, served with rye crackers.

We wear green, of course.  We play a little Bing Crosby (Top O' the Morning His Irish Collection).  When my dd was younger, we would watch the Veggie Tale clip on St. Patrick.

Breakfast was a fry up, with bangers from Trader Joes. Skipped lunch.

Dinner will be corned beef, roast potatoes with chives, roast cabbage with lemon and caraway, and roast carrots with a bit of grade B maple syrup.

Trying a new skillet soda bread recipe. It's supposed to be plain, not cake-like.

Dessert is chocolate whiskey cake and fresh strawberries.

I make soda bread and dinner that includes some kind of corned beef.  Tonight we had reubens.  Dh doesn't like plain old corned beef and cabbage, so some years we improvise or else he starts to dread St. Patrick's Day.

It's not a huge deal around here, but I'm almost half Irish, mostly on my dad's side, so I feel bad if I don't at least make the "Irish" (but really not) food.

We're not Irish, but I've always done fun stuff with the kids in the past, crafts, fun foods, books about St. Patrick.  This year, I feel like I've let the ball drop on all sorts of holidays, and my ds, especially seems to miss it.  The guilt has set in, big time.  I don't know what my deal is.  Burn out???  I feel bad about it.  Everything was "themey".  We used to do Muffin Tin Mondays, game days, and any holiday, there was some type of acknowledgement.  They are getting older, and I'm starting to miss all of the fun things we used to do & called it "school".  Part of it is that I feel we're behind, plus we just have so much darn regular, required school to do, the fun stuff gets left out.  Sigh.... Big bummer.  (Can you tell I'm feeling blue today?  Not green, like I should be?) :001_rolleyes:

We made leprechauns and made some shamrock sugar cookies sprinkled with green sugar. Then we did a service project with AHG at a convalescent home and passed it St Patricks Day cards the girls made. Got home. Was going to start on Irish soda bread and some shepherd's pie but feel exhausted so maybe we'll just go out. I'm due in one week so today was actually a pretty busy day.

We're not Irish, but I've always done fun stuff with the kids in the past, crafts, fun foods, books about St. Patrick. This year, I feel like I've let the ball drop on all sorts of holidays, and my ds, especially seems to miss it. The guilt has set in, big time. I don't know what my deal is. Burn out??? I feel bad about it. Everything was "themey". We used to do Muffin Tin Mondays, game days, and any holiday, there was some type of acknowledgement. They are getting older, and I'm starting to miss all of the fun things we used to do & called it "school". Part of it is that I feel we're behind, plus we just have so much darn regular, required school to do, the fun stuff gets left out. Sigh.... Big bummer. (Can you tell I'm feeling blue today? Not green, like I should be?) :001_rolleyes:

That seems normal to me. My kids are little (4&6), and so making a wooden felt leprechaun and making shamrock cookies, and doing some St.Patricks Day read alouds and a journal page was enough to call it a school day :). It's fun we can take time out from our routine and do "school" around a holiday theme, but as the kids get older that's not really going to be feasible. I'll be bummed but trying to remember now how they're going to only be little so long so let's enjoy it well we can!

They leprechauns visited us in the night!

They put the kids' stuffed animals on top of the ceiling fan, and decorated with green ribbons!  Those sneaky leprechauns!

Last year we made a leprechaun house/trap.  It's a little box covered in brown contact paper with fake flowers and jewels glue-gunned inside and out.  Then we set the trap overnight in the yard with the door propped open with a stick.  We caught a leprechaun!  Sadly, he had turned into a potato, as sometimes happens when the little buggers get caught.

This year, we re-set the trap, and caught a leprechaun again!  This one was apparently carrying a lot of loot!  He had two shamrock necklaces, some gold coins, and a pile of Andes mints!  However, he turned into a potato again, so no pot of gold for us this year.  :sad: