Menu

What should one eat before and after swimming

Excelsior! Academy

Not a swim meet, just a couple of hours in the pool.

As in going to the pool to play, or to work out?

to play.... whatever you want

work out- banana before, anything you want after

My kids don't eat anything when they have practice at 6:30 am, except for maybe a banana.  The eat a normal breakfast after... sometimes a granola bar, or waffles, breakfast tacos... etc. and a glass of juice

I usually give my kids a smoothie made with frozen fruit, Greek yogurt, honey, vanilla, and whey protein powder and muffins, or granola bars or some trail mix. After they usually get themselves a small snack like apples and peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, fruit salad, greek yogurt with honey or jam or maple syrup, veggies with ranch, crackers with salami and cheese or cheese sticks and nuts. Those are typical readily available snacks.

This is going to vary for every athlete just like it does for dry land sports.  I know plenty of runners that can get up at the butt crack of dawn and run miles on nothing more than the dinner they had the night before.  I, on the other hand, have to stabilize my blood sugar before I can do any kind of physical activities and therefore eat some oatmeal or cereal (light on the milk).  If the practices are not first thing in the morning, then I probably wouldn't worry about anything special other than the suggestion of strawberrymama to make sure they are not stuffed with greasy foods right before.