Menu

Need advice for purchasing health insurance through the exchange

Jenny in GA

Thanks to the new laws, my family can finally apply for health insurance through the exchange.

We looked at quotes, and know we want a Gold Plan, but there are so many options I'm not sure how to pick. The companies that jump out to me are Humana, Aetna, and BC/BS, and there are probably others too.

Any advice -- either about these insurance companies specifically, or how to make a decision?

Thanks!

Check and see if any of your doctors are on the plans. See what doctors/hospitals in your area take the plan. 

We had BCBS or otherwise known to us as crap.  They like to argue on every claim.  We have had them with two different policies and it was the same.  It was amazing how much they liked to argue.  Aetna was great for us. 

Check and see if any of your doctors are on the plans. See what doctors/hospitals in your area take the plan.

We had BCBS or otherwise known to us as crap. They like to argue on every claim. We have had them with two different policies and it was the same. It was amazing how much they liked to argue. Aetna was great for us.

How frustrating. I've had BCBS (several different plans) my whole adult life and have never had a problem with them. They've never argued with us over one claim. Maybe it varies by state?

How frustrating. I've had BCBS (several different plans) my whole adult life and have never had a problem with them. They've never argued with us over one claim. Maybe it varies by state?

I have friends in different states who are starting to have the same problems with them.  It seems to be becoming the normal especially with their empire division.  That was the worst service I have ever encountered.  One of our doctors has even commented how bad they are getting.  

We had BCBS or otherwise known to us as crap.  They like to argue on every claim.  We have had them with two different policies and it was the same.  It was amazing how much they liked to argue.  Aetna was great for us. 

Must vary by policy. We've had BCBS with more than one employer, and never had issues. Not even with ds's $4000-5000 month inject-able med.

We've had BC/BS from Massachusetts, New Jersey, and will now from Pennsylvania.  Over the years, we've also had policies through United Health Care, Aetna, and I can't even remember who else at this point!  The company has never made much difference to us.  I've had to jump through hoops to get things cleared up with all of them.

The important part is what's covered and by how much.  The compare tool on the site is helpful, and most of the plans have their full brochure available to click and read.

(ETA: Yes, and their provider directory.)