Menu

Current astronomy books?

Anyone have a good one to recommend? An astronomy almanac type book would be great.

Please, for the love of books, let it include the dwarf planets like Eris, Ceres, and such.

This is for my 5th grade DS, who regularly reads middle school level science books in his spare time. He's scoured HPB shelves for a couple months, but the only honorable mentions were "little kid picture books or just had a few facts listed."

Next year I have The Stars by H.A. Rey slated for beginning astronomy and constellations. It's a book aimed at adults, but it says 12 and older, and your son, who's already reading middle grade science books, should be able to understand it just fine. It has been updated.

Thanks! I ordered Solar System: A Visual Exploration while waiting for him to get out of scouts last night. We really liked the elements book from that line.

50 Most Extreme Places in the Solar System looks awesome! It's on the shortlist.

Any other good ideas? :)

Sorry to hijack, but do any of you have suggestion for a good text to use for a high school course. I am planning to check what the local Universities use for intro Astronomy, but am open to suggestions.

I will be looking at the resources listed.

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack, but do any of you have suggestion for a good text to use for a high school course. I am planning to check what the local Universities use for intro Astronomy, but am open to suggestions.

I will be looking at the resources listed.

Thanks.

I like books by Chaisson.

There's Astronomy: A Beginner's Guide to the Universe http://www.amazon.com/Astronomy-Beginners-Guide-Universe-Edition/dp/0321605101/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394712740&sr=1-8&keywords=chaisson (link is to the 6th edition; there's a newer very pricey edition)

or Astronomy Today http://www.amazon.com/Astronomy-Today-Edition-Eric-Chaisson/dp/0321691431/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394712933&sr=1-2&keywords=chaisson which is available in one book or as two separate parts (link is to complete 7th edition; there is a newer edition)

13 Planets - He said not yet. Does it have a good volume of information besides pictures?

We have an older copy of The Stars by H.A. Rey. I love that book!

We have 13 Planets from the library at the moment. I don't think you'd find anything new in it. It is from National Geographic Kids, and is 60 pages long. It has two page spreads for each planet and dwarf planet, with a gorgeous big photograph on one page, and one page of text.So there is only one or two paragraphs of information on each planet.