Menu

Kindergarten science

eeekaao

Hi,

I'm looking for a different science curriculum. Right now we are reading library books, and doing experiments from Mudpies to Magnets. It isn't really as organized as I would like it to be. I need something more organized. I would like something with lesson plans, maybe worksheets. I will definitely still supplement with experiments and the library, buti want something more. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know this may sound like too much, but I am pregnant with #5, and my 5 year old kindergartner is my oldest.

Thanks, erika

This upcoming year (K for my middle son) we'll be using Behold and See 1 (Catholic Heritage Curriculum), which is gentle and looks lovely. We'll be supplementing heavily with literature (Let's Read and Find Out books look great!).

We'll just be starting kindergarten this fall with my oldest too. I've been looking at all kinds of curriculum and it depends on what you're looking for in a science program. I'm torn between sonlight science A and a science book from the library, "science play".

I am actually looking for similar for my 5 and 7 year old so I will be checking back here for ideas. Right now they aren't doing much science at all at school. I read them books from topics that interest them but I really want lesson plans to tie together different topics but I want something that is very easy to implement.

Simply Charlotte Mason's Outdoor Secrets and The Outdoor Secrets Companion:
http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/outdoor-secrets/
http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/the-outdoor-secrets-companion/
This is an affordable introduction to nature study using a vintage nature story book with beautiful picture books (library books). While this doesn't include worksheets, it does have nature journal activities.

Simply Charlotte Mason's Outdoor Secrets and The Outdoor Secrets Companion:
http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/outdoor-secrets/
http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/the-outdoor-secrets-companion/
This is an affordable introduction to nature study using a vintage nature story book with beautiful picture books (library books). While this doesn't include worksheets, it does have nature journal activities.

Oh that looks nice! Is there a list anywhere for thel living books? I prefer to buy ahead of time.

Oh that looks nice! Is there a list anywhere for thel living books? I prefer to buy ahead of time.

Simply Charlotte Mason's website is in the process of being updated so their helpful book samples haven't been readded yet. I have had success subbing in another book of the same topic, so this is adaptable. Here is the booklist for Outdoor Secrets:
• Outdoor Secrets by Margaret P Boyle
• Favorite Poems Old and New selected by Helen Ferris
• Nature notebook
• (optional) The Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock
• How Do Apples Grow by Betsy Maestro
• Johnny Appleseed by Reeve Lindbergh
• A Desert Scrapbook: Dawn to Dusk in the Sonoran Desert by Virginia Wright-Frierson
• An Earthworm’s Life by John Himmelman
• A Seed Is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts Aston
• My Favorite Tree by Diane Iverson
• (optional) Crinkleroot’s Guide to Knowing the Trees by Jim Arnosky (out of print)
• The Robins in Your Backyard by Nancy Carol Willis
• From Seed To Plant by Gail Gibbons
• Bumblebee at Apple Tree Lane by Laura Gates Galvin
• (optional) The Owl and the Woodpecker: Encounters with North America’s Most Iconic Birds by Paul Bannick
• Are You a Dragonfly? By Judy Allen and Tudor Humphries
• Flower Garden by Eve Bunting • (optional) Wonderful Pussy Willows by Jerome Wexler (out of print)
• Flip, Float, Fly!: Seeds on the Move by JoAnn Early Macken
• Water Dance by Thomas Locker
• Wasps by Martha Rustad
• Chippy Chipmunk Parties in the Garden by Kathy M . Miller
• (optional) Read-Aloud Poems for Young People OR The Oxford Book of Children’s Verse in America

• 3 weeks later...

Nancy Larson science K. I have read nothing but awesome reviews and plan to try it this summer. I also own The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady and it is a beautiful nature journal from 1906. My kids love to look at the pictures and trace or draw them. It is very inspirational for nature study.

Other books we love are Magic Schools, CLP Nature Readers, Real Science 4 Kids, Usborne books, and Let's Read and Find Out Series. The Cat in the Hat science books are fun too.

Magic school bus

We bought a yr long membership through HSBC for the MSB kits and did those. They are somewhat hit or miss. I haven't thought about what I'll do w/my next two when they are K'ers. Probably whatever they're interested in, and worry about a formal curriculum when they're in first.

This is of interest to me as well!

My oldest DS, 4 next week, is younger than OP's but constantly asking to do experiments! I as well want a program that's boxed and prepped for me although I know there's great experiment books out there. I loooove the look of Sonlight science A but it's pricey. I'm also considering just sporadically ordering science kits, though that made add up to a lot of $$ by the time all is said and done.

So, if there's any more to come I am following!

We've been loving BFSU...It's teacher-intensive (and I come from a science background, so it might be even more so for those who don't), but it's a great resource, has wonderful ideas for experiments and does a great job tying things together. With the experiments and book suggestions we spend 2-3 weeks per topic...My DD has learned so much. I've also bought a number of the Magic School Bus stand-alone kits, we read the corresponding books and watch the vids, and I think together it's all given her a really deep understanding of the topics we've studied.

Sonlight A (Kindergarten). We just use the worksheets (they have the book and page # on them so you can use those as your schedule). The Children's Encyclopedia has lots of easy activities - mix baking soda and vinegar in a bottle with a balloon on top to demonstrate gases; predict which items will float and test it out, etc. I supplement with extra books, like the Cat in the
Hat science books and Let's Read and Find Out books. It couldn't be any easier and IMO it's the perfect mix of reading, hands-on activities, and application via worksheets. I haven't yet used the actual book of science activities or the Discover and Do DVD.

We use Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding.  I am finishing the book up with my 3rd grader and have been reviewing some of the beginning lessons with my kinder.  We also have been studying different biomes with an animal of the week.  Over the winter, we did different arctic animals.  Now we are starting different animals from the African Savannah. This fits in with BFSU but is also simple and fun for kinder.  We also did a unit on the body.