Menu

Curriculum/tools for dd, 8, who has encoding/spelling LD ("written expressive disorder")

DD, 8, has recently been diagnosed with the above LD. She reads fabulously, but has a lot of difficulty in getting words down on paper. This is both an "encoding" problem as well as a spelling problem (the point being, it's more than a spelling issue - it's also the cognitive grasp of getting words in her head put into the written symbols of the language). Some people have called it a form of dysgraphia, but I I've found that most people associate that term with handwriting difficulties (dd has beautiful handwriting, and no trouble writing pages if given the spelling & sentence support).

She is receiving services at the local school 4 days a week (even though she is homeschooled for almost everything else). It's really helping, but we may be moving soon to a state that does not offer support to homeschoolers. So I'm wondering if anyone on this board has suggestions for what to use.

The school uses "Reasoning & Writing". I'm trying to find it online, but it looks like it's mostly only available to schools (think $$$). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

We may also seek private tutoring for her - has anyone had any luck with getting appropriate services through a private tutor for this LD?

Thank you in advance.

You wrote that: '-it's also the cognitive grasp of getting words in her head put into the written symbols of the language.'

Though this made me think of something the opposite to this, getting symbols put into words?

Where this is tested using the 'Rapid Naming Test', which involves naming image that are pointed at.

Which tests the ability to retrieve the sound of the name for the image.

This is a well recognized type of difficulty, and contributes to reading difficulties, and recalling the sound associated with a written word.

But what you wrote, made me think that she may have the opposite difficulty?   Where she has no problem with recalling the sound of a written word, and 'reads fabulously'.

Yet may have a difficulty with recalling the visual image associated with the sound of a word?

Though with a difficulty with Rapid Naming, it has been shown that this can be improved by practicing it.

Which basically involves naming things that are pointed at, in photographs.  Also naming symbols pointed at.

So that makes me think that an opposite approach could be used?

Instead of naming the thing or symbol that is pointed at?

To pointing at the thing or symbol that is named?

Where you could do a simple test of this with her, yourself.

Firstly by simply asking her to point at things in photographs, that you name?

Then pointing at symbols that you name, on a page with various symbols?

Where you would quite quickly identify whether she has a difficulty with linking the sound of the name, to the image?

Thank you for your time in trying to help.

I think perhaps I did not do a very good job in describing what her issue is. She did very well with the Rapid Naming test and she has no problem recalling a visual image (e.g. being able to point at things that I name.) She has a lot of difficulty putting words on paper, but zero difficulty with words in any other aspect. Dyslexia with reading is a decoding problem. Dd decodes very well, but really struggles with encoding - taking words in her head & putting them into the alphabet and on paper. Not sure if that helps describe it any better.

It's unusual for a child to only have trouble with writing/encoding, so it puts me in an odd place in trying to figure out how to address it.

Maybe the school would let you borrow materials and send them back later, or buy a set from them? If something is working it might be better to try to stick with it than search around for other options.

Depending on her stage, materials from www.talkingfingers.com might be of help. The program we used for reading, www.highnoonbooks.com has a spelling program, which I did not use, but might be good for this situation.  Possibly something like Sequential spelling.  That is, maybe materials often used for dyslexia on the encoding side would help, even though she is not having trouble with the decoding side.

Copywork might be of help, and perhaps later dictation. And also just more time as she reads more and sees words more may help some. My son has that problem, but also had the other aspects of decoding and penmanship that often go with it. Typing with spellcheck has been a help for him, not only for the penmanship part, but also for the encoding part.

While she can recall a visual image.

Another most important side of visualizing, is the ability to form a mental visual image. Then to take it apart and rearrange it.

Or to take a whole image, and then divide into parts.

Perhaps you could do a simple test with her?  Where you give her a few letters and ask her to rearrange them?

But try doing yourself first, and observe how you do it?

For example, if I gave you letters 'ion' and asked you to think of different ways to arrange those 3 letters?

One way that you could do it, is to sound out each letter, and rearrange the order of the letter sounds?

But more likely, you pictured 'ion' in your mind, and then formed different visual arrangements of the letters?

So that it would be interesting to understand how your DD would go about rearranging the order of groups of letters?

Whether she visually rearranges them in her minds eye?

Or sounds the letters out, and then verbally tries to rearrange them?

Where this rearranging could be seen as verbal encoding and visual encoding.

Thank you for your time in trying to help.

I think perhaps I did not do a very good job in describing what her issue is. She did very well with the Rapid Naming test and she has no problem recalling a visual image (e.g. being able to point at things that I name.) She has a lot of difficulty putting words on paper, but zero difficulty with words in any other aspect. Dyslexia with reading is a decoding problem. Dd decodes very well, but really struggles with encoding - taking words in her head & putting them into the alphabet and on paper. Not sure if that helps describe it any better.

It's unusual for a child to only have trouble with writing/encoding, so it puts me in an odd place in trying to figure out how to address it.

We have this issue too. I haven't chimed in because we are still working on it and struggling as well. The resources recommended to me were Singapore Sentences to Paragraphs workbooks (because they work with pictures and using words to describe the pictures) and Teaching Basic Writing Skills from Sopris West. We haven't tried the latter yet, but at least that gives you a couple of programs to research.