Menu

If you use Singapore and another math.....

IceFairy

...how do you schedule it? DS is heading into Singapore 1B(US) and I am thinking of adding in CLE Sunrise 100 for him. He loves Singapore and we do 3-5 exercises a week but I want him to solidify his facts, especially since he IS "mathy". DD is just starting Essentials B and its been a rough go but she is getting it now. I want to start Liberty Math K (from CLP) just in case the Essentials is not going to work out. I just have no idea how to schedule it all. Help!!!

DD does Singapore Maths in school and I use Math Mammoth at home to supplement it. So I pull out MM worksheets to match the topics she is doing in school.

She is currently doing mixed fractions in school, so she did some worksheets from MM4, and then some from MM5.

I don't line up the curricula I use - we just do the next thing. We use SM as the main curriculum and move ahead when ready - if a topic causes a sticking point then we will use the other curricula til ready to come back to it. We are also using LOF daily at the moment til she gets to a point where things need more time to sink in and then we will slow it down. Horizons I use just as revision and to keep addition and subtraction facts solid while working on multiplication and as a break from SM when one is needed. 

So basically I do not schedule - I just make sure we keep moving ahead. We do Math everyday but even the length of time it is done for can vary from day to day - that depends on my daughter's mood and how well we are all coping with the day.

With the facts practice, I scheduled 2 math lessons per day. The first was the main lesson in Singapore and the second was facts practice (mostly using the Mindware "Addition Adventures" and "Subtraction Secrets" books but sometimes the Right Start card games).

Right now DS is doing Singapore 4A M/W and Beast Academy 3D T/Th. Fridays are end-of-chapter reviews from Singapore 3B.

I don't like going back and forth, so I finish a book before switching. We are using Singapore and Miquon. I have used some MUS lessons, but that was in addition to the SM, not made to line up with anything.

Same with me, only I start with MUS, and after we finish a level, I review by going straight through the corresponding Singapore level. (I've only done this once. :) After Alpha, we reviewed with SM 1A-B.)

IDK if you could say we use curriculum other than Singapore, because we don't necessarily have another "go-to", if that makes sense.  

My weekly schedule for my son, age 7, reflects a math lesson from Singapore each day, M-F.  We usually cover a complete lesson each day.  He'll have at least one workbook page that corresponds to that day's lesson.  Any other workbook pages that correspond with that lesson may, or may not, be assigned either that same day, or another day for math review.

Math review happens on Tuesday and Thursday one week, and M, W, F the next week and is something he does independently, unless he needs help (which is rare for him).  I pull material for math review from several sources...most of them Singapore related.  Either the Singapore workbook, or the Extra Practice books, or the Singapore Test book, etc.  I try to make sure he's reviewing not just recently learned material, but ALL of his math material.  

Math Drill happens on Tuesday and Thursday one week, and M, W, F the next week and I pull material from Singapore Sprints, the Mental Math exercises, Edhelper drill pages, etc. Alternatively, I might hand him the Kindle and have him practice math facts on an app that we have, which I really like (I can't think of what its called right now).  

Word Problems...he gets a page of word problems every day.  These might come from Singapore's Challenging Word Problems.  Sometimes they come from the Workbook.  Sometimes he gets a page from Singapore's Process Skills in Problem Solving.  I also have a litany of workbooks that have challenging word problems.  My goal here is that he has a lot of practice with problem solving....not just typical word problems (Sally has five sea shells, Bob has four, how many do they have together) but more difficult, complex problem solving that requires him to really think critically.  Usually, a page of problem solving has no more than 4 problems, usually less.  

Finally, he also has a segment for Logic/Critical Thinking, and he gets something from this on MWF.  I use Lollipop Logic, Primary Logic, etc., to pull for this.  Sometimes I might print a Sudoku puzzle or a maze.  Sometimes I might assign him a project with his Zoobs...or a jigsaw puzzle.  Or pentominos.  

So that's what we do.  For him, it works well...but he is gifted with math and rarely struggles with any of it.  I'm not sure how I'll plan Singapore with my other kiddos, when they come along.  

We use a mixture of a spiral math with Singapore. This was our first year of homeschooling and I used Abeka Math K and Singapore Essentials K together for my Kindy and Abeka Math 2 and Singapore 2a/2b and it's been really good. I'm not 100% pleased with the combo though (maybe a little "grass is greener" syndrome?) ;) I'm considering combining Saxon with Singapore next year, but CLE also looked really great! I''d love to know what you end up using!!

We used Miquon along with Singapore 1, but have since dropped it just because if time as he moves up in all subjects. He still does Life of Fred, but it's only a chapter on Fridays and done because he loves it. I really don't care about it at all.

I don't have a set schedule, we just do the next unit. My son does Miquon Orange on Mondays and Singapore 1a the rest of the week. Wednesdays our schedule changes every other week so I have him do an activity from the Education Unboxed videos as time allows. I don't worry about lining up topics.