Menu

First audiobook?

shawthorne44

I love love love audiobooks.  I get a little twitchy if I don't have an audiobook going.  DD is getting old enough that I think she could listen to a book when we drive places.  Any recommendations for the first one to start with?  I'd like it to be a sure-fire choice, because I don't want her to get the idea that they are boring.  I am also getting sick and tired of the radio.  Although, listening to her sing along to the pop songs does have its cuteness factor.  She a little over 3.5.  

We love audiobooks too! And my dd4 can now happily listen to long chapter books for hours. We started slowly, building up stamina. She takes her iPod to bed every night and listens to books as she goes to sleep, as well as in the car.

We actually started with a collection of Farmyard Tales. The stories are simple an cute...I have yet to find a kid who doesn't enjoy them. The set comes with an adorable book, with 20 Tales, and a 'spot the duck' on each page. We read through the stories to familiarize her (she will want to hear them again and again) and then put on the audio books.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0794509029?cache=56849dbc2be0edc106ab1b883aeb8d1b#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1392595587&sr=8-1

I now have collected a ridiculous number of audio books for kids so I will have a look back at more favorites. I do remember another favorite were the Hairy McClary audio books (Lynley Dodd), as well as Just So Stories. Now I mostly give her classic children's lit, chapter books, or a motley collection of current interests. I just bought her a 31 book collection of Fancy Nancy that I am considering hiding:)

My 4 yo also loves audio books. We didn't get him into them by finding the "right" audio book, we made the transition by ripping the audio off of his favorite movies and putting them on CD in the car. Once he got used to that (and they were familiar because he loved them so much), the transition to real audiobooks was seamless.

Hairy Mclary was a good start for my son. Even better when he had the accompanying picture book.

His first longer one that he listened to was Charlotte's Web. He listened to that after we had read it.

He also really loves Story of the Worlr by Jim Wiess. I think he would enjoy his other audio books too. Spotify has quite a few of them that can be listened to for free. I need to start playing them at night.

I myself can't listen to audiobooks. My mind wanders and I find them often read too slowly. But I am getting better with practice. I have found that if I speed up audio books they hold my attention a little more. I listen to books at double speed while working out. My son prefers 1.25 or 1.5 speed to keep his attention.

I forgot! My son absolutely loves Alan St. Jean's audio and picture books. There are 4. Oinkadoodlemoo is his favourite! But he likes them all.

http://www.amazon.com/Spooky-Mooky-Alan-St-Jean/dp/0977727238/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392604452&sr=1-6

Oh, wonderful.  Farmyard Tales is on its way.   I'll need more suggestions for when I've listened to it too much.  So far, I see all the audiobooks ending up in our personal library.  

DD was an easy baby except for one thing, she hated to ride in the car and she cried constantly.  I remember thinking "Well, at least I know she is breathing".  Then my husband discovered that she would stop crying for the Yogi Bear song.  Only the Yogi Bear song.  Eventually, I honestly couldn't decide which was worse, crying or the Yogi song.  

Great! Farmyard Tales will be a hit.

I just scrolled through my dd''s iPod to see which of the shorter stories have survived the test of time, so here are some more. Be sure to check your library, as I spent a near fortune on audiobooks before I realized that our library actually has a ton:)

1)Beatrix Potter- we have a whole collection and she still enjoys them.

2) Julia Donaldson collection- British author that does amazing stories with fantastic vocabulary and rhyming, lilting stories. Books like The Gruffalo, Room on the Broom.

3)Winnie the Pooh

4) Paddington Bear collections

5) Angelina Ballerina stories- especially for a girl, but not just. The original stories are beautiful.

6) I have several Dr. Suess collections that are faves in the car.

7) Hairy Maclary

A bit longer:

8) My Father's Dragon collection

9) Charlotte's Web

10) The Little House books

(These were after we read them aloud)

I will try to have a look at our iTunes list for others we have been through with he most success:)

Oh! The If You Give a Mouse a Cookie series was a favorite at about 3 as well.

I know the answer to this question:

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

It's a collection of short stories written by James Herriot.  The narrator is amazing.  The stories are wonderful and heartwarming.  There's nothing objectionable in there.  If you wanted to have the book to look at the pictures you could but not necessary.  It's like a longer audiobook but since they are short stories it's easier for kids to get started.

DD loves this book.  It was her first audiobook at 4 years old and she will still listen to it occasionally.  Hearing the book click on and the narrator say "Smudge, the lost little lamb" gives me the warmest happiest feeling.  

It's should be available from your library but I suggest buying it from Amazon because you'll want to own it.  

oooh, the James Harriot one is available at the library.  Both the CD and book.  Lots of the other suggestions were only available in book form.  Which is weird because the library has a good selection for adult audiobooks. 

I have a male friend whose first audiobook was Pride and Prejudice.  He isn't into romances or feelings or relationships.  So, now he thinks all audiobooks are boring.  That is what I am trying to avoid. 

Our favorite audiobooks at that age were:

Frog and Toad books, read by Arnold Lobel (he has such a friendly voice!)
the Frances Books

a collection of Maurice Sendak stories

We also were able to find some of our favorite stories in audiobook format: Henry and Mudge and classics like Make Way for Ducklings,from our local library.

You can download free stories from Storynory, although my kids initially had trouble with Natasha's accent.

• 2 weeks later...

My kids started with the Jim Weiss audiobooks. They really liked them because many of the stories were familiar (The Little Red Hen, Goldilocks) and they were short enough to keep their attention. I also love his voice although DH doesn't feel that way. Now they're (5 and 3.5) listening to longer ones like Charlotte's Web and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

The first audiobook my kids liked was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Toys-Come-Home-Experiences-Intelligent-ebook/dp/B004LGTS3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393600329&sr=8-1&keywords=Toys+come+home

It is so stinking cute. The narrator does a great job and her voices for each character are really cute. I highly reccommend this one!

Our 1st were Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel (which also has Katy and the big Snow and Maybell the Cable Car) and Ted and Friends from Usborne (you have to read the book a few times 1st to really get into that one). My son was 2 when we 1st got these for the car.

Our library has a ton of picture books with audio and we started with those. We listened to months and months of those before I tried a chapter book.  Now, we always have a chapter book going in the car.  We've down Charlotte's Web and the vast majority of Beverly Cleary's titles--started with the Mouse and the Motorcycle series, then did all of the Henry and Ribsy ones, and now we're on our 4th of 5th Ramona.  But at 3.5, we were just getting started, and doing shorter books with an accompanying book to look through while they listened.  Makes car rides so much more fun!