Menu

Maple tree tapping

solascriptura

Kind of depends on the size of your operation  For one, six inch tree, a tap and a bucket.  I've seen lots of gallon water jugs used around here instead of the old metal ones with lids.  I don't think the material the spout is made of makes much difference.  Metal probably lasts longer.

For hundreds of trees, they run miles of plastic tubing fron tree to tree, downhill and end up in a huge vat.

I haven't seen bags on trees around here.

We use metal taps and plastic milk jugs - we tap about 50 trees, and the kids help DH do the syrup outside (we have a DIY evaporator made from an old oil tank w/hotel pans). They sell the extra as a little side business. :)

If you are in need of extra trees to tap, your neighbors may be willing to let you tap theirs in exchange for some syrup at the end of the season.

Fun stuff!

I use metal taps and cleaned out milk jugs. We only have 3 maples in the yard though. I've seen plenty of people who use buckets and tubing but I can't imagine how annoying it would be to clean that tubing. 

Dh bought the bags and metal holders one year. I didn't like them. Hard to clean. The metal holder was sharp and I kept cutting myself when removing and replacing it. 

We tapped 2 huge trees in our yard last year and ended up with a gallon of syrup (It takes about 40 gallons of sap to get one gallon of syrup). This year we're going to tap 4 (or maybe 5?). Our trees are big so we can do 3 taps each. We used plumbing supplies from the hardware store and a couple of 5 gallon buckets. My DH bought small PVC type tubes (they were elbows I think but I don't know the correct terms, sorry..)and then we used leftover blue flex tubing from our recent plumbing upgrades to funnel it into the buckets. I think the buckets came from grocery store bakery or meat departments. My husband drilled holes in the trees and wedged the elbows in and that was it.  It was pretty cheap to do and didn't require any special equipment. The syrup was soooo good! We're hoping to get twice as much this year. :-)