Menu

"Finishing" science and math early

Is it possible for a child who wants to pursue a rigorous college prep track, to finish math and science "early"? In other words, if this student begins high school level math and science classes in junior high, would it be advisable to "finish" 4 credits of math and 4 credits of science by Junior or Senior year? This is a child interested in literature, languages, writing and philosophy and the plan would be to focus Junior and/or Senior year on studying his fields of interest by continuing challenging coursework in those areas? He would still carry a full load of challenging coursework, but no math or science Junior and/or Senior year.

I envision that the transcript would be arranged by subject.

I really like the idea of allowing a year or two in high school to "specialize" in areas of interest and to build a transcript that truly reflects his strengths and interests while still fulfilling at least 4 years of each of the "core" areas of study. I do realize that electives allow for this specialization.

This is simply a "what if" for planning purposes. The actual course we follow will be determined as we go. I am perfectly aware that my DS may decide that he wants to pursue a STEM career instead and he will therefore be more than happy to continue with math and science!

Well, I wouldn't personally want to try college Calculus after not having any math for two years.... so I guess it depends on what he plans to study.  I do know that on at least one of DS18's college applications they specifically stated that no classes taken before 9th grade should be included, so that might make the transcripts look poorly if the student showed only two high-school level science classes.

Personally, I would consider taking the math/science break in 8th/9th grades and loading those two years up with the Lit/Philosophy classes.  Then add back in the math/science for years 10-12.  I think that would make for a more competitive transcript if that's a concern. 

Some things to consider:

1. What will "finishing" consist of - what will be the highest level course in math and in science? If the highest level is BC Calc that's much more understandable than if it is algebra 2.

2. What level schools is the student applying to? It is increasingly the expectation that even non STEM students have some calculus for highly selective schools.

3. What does your state law require - my state requires math in every year of high school no matter the student's level or how may courses they've completed.

4. While a transcript organized by subject draw a bit less attention the lack of math and science, the student will need to list their senior year schedule/ courses in progress.

I hope that helps!

I would be very concerned how no math and science in Jr/Sr year would look to colleges. From what I have learned, colleges do not want students who are capable of advanced work (as shown by their ability to complete high school math/science early) to rest on their laurels and call it good, but prefer that students pursue rigorous coursework in all areas.

This may not be an issue if your student wants to attend a school that takes pretty much all applicants who fulfill the minimum graduation requirements. I would expect it  to be an issue with any selective school.

In addition, I would be concerned that one or two years without math make it very difficult for a student to deal with required math and science courses in college. Most students do not do well with such a long gap.

As others have said, I would be VERY concerned about not doing math in high school. (BTW, my dd1 took through Calc 2 in high school and then did Calc 3 her senior year of college. She does NOT recommend taking a break from math -- the first few weeks of her Calc 3 class were brutal!)

As the parent of two students who did not do any science senior year, I understand why a student might not do four years of science. The lack of a 4th year of a science didn't seem to hurt either of my two, but they did both have great scores in both two science AP's and two science SAT-2's. If they didn't have that verification of their science abilities, I would not have let them take the year off.

If your son is truly interested in a competitive college, I would make sure his transcript radiates "highly capable" and "can handle advanced work" before he takes any time off from core subjects! Make sure you have some "outside verification" of his achievements!

Definitely check with colleges you think your students might be interested in.  At most my guys have applied to, only courses from 9th - 12th counted for credits.  Languages could generally have been taken earlier and tested out of for placement, but I don't recall math or science exceptions.  My two olders did Alg 1 in 7th grade, so they needed two extra math classes to get 4 credits in 9 - 12.  Both added Calc.  Oldest added a Business Math course (wants a Business major - Accounting style).  Middle added Stats.  For each their classes are useful for classes they took later in college.

Remember too, if the college is selective at all, their "minimum" credits does not guarantee acceptance.  The majority of applicants will have far more than the minimum and you're competing with them for acceptances.

We opted to only do 3 credits of Social Studies with middle son so he could add more science.  I contacted potential colleges (by e-mail) first to double check that they would be ok with it.  They were.  My guy had World History (high school level course) in 8th grade, but that didn't count.  We still put it on his transcript so they would know we didn't skip it.

You'll probably find colleges willing to accept 3 credits in science - perhaps math too if they aren't super selective colleges - but I'm not sure any would like to see just 2 unless they are not selective at all.

But still, it's worth it to e-mail some admissions reps and see if it's a path that interests you.

I'm an adult freshman at a decidedly non-competitive university. Math placement is done by ACT score or placement test. I would not want to put my child into 1. the position of having to take a placement test without having had any math for the last year or two, or 2. even if the ACT was enough to avoid the placement, I wouldn't want my child to jump into college level math (level or pacing wise) without recent math skills. 

I would be especially concerned in math -- you have to take math at almost every university, unless you have an AP course (or at some a CLEP), and many students come in having not had math since sophomore/junior year in high school and place into Algebra 1. This is not fun. Even if they do place higher, they often struggle in their math classes. Furthermore, if math is omitted junior year this may hurt their SAT/ACT scores.

I would be far more inclined to allow a very capable but very uninterested student to do math throughout, but take a day or two off per week, so that one course is completed per year and the knowledge is more fresh when the student comes to university. In other words -- if a student is capable of finishing a math course in 4-5 months working daily, they could work mon/weds/fri, finish in a more standard timeframe, and still have extra time for courses of greater interest.